Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

Now they've booked this band, Sundara Karma, for one of their bashes.

A band with "karma" in their name? "Punk" as fuck, NOT!

If it's between them and most of the stuff made by Inbev then I'd choose the BrewDog any day. Not because they are rebel or alternative or any of that, but they do actually make nice beer. Sure there are plenty of great small brewers I'd choose any day, but the fact that we can now get something approaching a decent beer on an easy jet flight shows the revival of beer that tastes of something. Sales from the big companies are actually falling in most of their developed markets, which of course means they will be looking for more companies to buy.
I'll never buy Brew Dog whatever it tastes like.

I put the link in the last post. They are a huge multi national company who make a vast number of beers that people recognise.

I doubt if they'd offend me as much as the sexist, bullying, cash raking Brewdog cunts cashing in on punk's legacy.

If you Google sexist beer ads, most of the examples are brands owned my InBev and the ones your most likely to find outside of a decent pub. Its no excuse for BrewDog in the slightest, just a sad reflection of how hard boycotting brands for ethical reasons can be. :(

If you Google sexist beer ads, most of the examples are brands owned my InBev and the ones your most likely to find outside of a decent pub. Its no excuse for BrewDog in the slightest, just a sad reflection of how hard boycotting brands for ethical reasons can be. :(
With Brewdog it's personal.

Brewdog raises £100m from American private equity firm

Brewdog, the independent Scottish brewery, has raised £100m from TSG Consumer Partners, the American private equity firm.

In a message to shareholders on Saturday, the beer maker said TSG had acquired 22 per cent of the company. Brewdog said the transaction had given it a £1bn enterprise value.

“TSG has acquired approximately 22% of the company in a transaction where £100m in proceeds went into the Company for continued expansion and the balance to create early shareholder equity in a transaction that valued Brewdog plc at £1billion enterprise value,” the message said. “The deal is designed to deliver long term capital with 10 year time horizon.”

Brew dog was founded by James Watt and Martin Dickie in 2007 and is known for its brash marketing campaigns. Until now it has relied heavily on crowdfunding.

Watt and Dickie have said they would never sell the company to a multinational brewery, or as they put it: “a monolithic purveyor of industrial beer”. Private equity companies, on the other hand? Not so bad it seems.

A spokesperson for TSG did not immediately respond to a request for comment. A spokesperson for Brewdog did not immediately comment.

Update, April 9: According to The Sunday Times, TSG is “also buying £113m of shares from existing investors”, which brings the total value of the deal to £213m:

The founders are expected to bag the bulk of the bonanza. Yesterday, BrewDog said Watt’s stake would reduce from 35% to 25% and Dickie’s holding from 30% to 22%.

It can only be a matter of time before the more hardcore punks of the brew movement splinter towards Oi! Brew, with classic and more authentic craft beers including 'Porter Breakout' and 'We're the Hopligans'
I'm looking forward to the straight edge lads releasing their non-alcoholic alternatives.

straight_edge_drinking_glass.jpg

Brewdog sell 22% of their firm to a private equity house for £213m.

Punkest thing ever.

The terms of the sale are pretty interesting. The private equity house's investment is in the form of 'preference shares' (a loan by any other name). These shares pay an eyewatering 18% before other shareholders get anything. 'Equity punks' can only sell 15% of their stake and only £113m of the acquisition price was earmarked for buying these shares. This represents profit to them but not anything like what they could have got if they were normal, listed shares.

The move is in fact a huge dilution of existing shareholders' rights. The founders have basically cashed out leaving a huge millstone around the company' future profitability. And walked away with £100m.

This will be franchised and licenced to fuck across the globe

"“Ever since we first started this journey in Martin’s mum’s garage, BrewDog has existed to make other people as passionate about great craft beer as we are,” said Watt"

I don't care if they started this to make money, pretty any of us in this situation would snatch the cash and fuck off to the caribbean on the next superyacht. but the faux humble branson lite mealy mouthed toss that is dripping out, especially toss that uses the word passionate, does irk one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom