Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

Also, 100% positive comments on that post, which doesn't seem all that likely to me. And maintaining the line that the threats to the pub were all out of their hands.
Probably all made up anyway. They really are showing themselves to be an utterly despicable company

Just listen to the cunts:
Almost all companies always look to enforce trademarks, whereas at BrewDog we should take the view to only enforce if something really detrimental to our business is happening. And here, I do not think that was the case. As soon as I found out, I reversed the decision and offered to cover all of the costs of the bar. I also invited them up to Ellon to make their own gin with us. This is a mistake that hurt a lot; but like all mistakes, it made us better. This will not happen again.

All companies make mistakes, and we fixed this one quickly, openly and honestly.

I have, but years ago, and then only in slightly affordable cans of Punk IPA. Which is OK -- partly because the cans are disguisable as a soft drink at any busy, over securitised city-streets type festival ;)

But their 'Punk' is nothing at all special, and only worth thinking about, back then, if you bought it from Sainsburys etc. (On deals :p )

Exception to the cans-only thing above being our misjudged (but ultrabrief) visit to their insanely priced place in Camden about 8 years ago.

Since then we've boycotted their Bristol (Baldwin Street) and Cardiff (Westgate Street) places.

Streetnames only supplied for ease of avoidance :)

Boycott : Firstly on price grounds alone, and now, additionally, on the grounds of 'increasingly obviously absolute fucking wankers' grounds.

At least their 'pubs' take overmoneyed 'hipster' twats away from normal places with better beer :cool:

Our mate's yer main brewer** who's in Manchester often. He only went to their new Manc place once and would agree with all the above sentiments here, if he was an Urban :)

** at Tatton. Counter-Brewdog marketing. Ban me now editor :D

From an IP point of view I find it curious that they are valuing their trademarks more than their recipes, which could be considered trade secrets had they not put them in the public domain. Trade secrets in my experience are considerably rarer.

Also, there is a difference between trying to trademark a word on its own and a logo using that word.

I'm also highly sceptical of those blog post comments. Common sense approach to IP my arse...

I drink in a lot of independent bars whenever I'm Manchester, and I drink a lot of different craft ales.

Brewdog always has some of the best beer without doubt imho.

Sadly, BrewDog make one of the few remotely palatable alcohol-free "beers" that is readily available. So, I'm stuck with drinking it for the foreseeable.

Also, all businesses operating within capitalism are fundamentally exploitative. It's just a matter of degree and presentation*. Don't kid yerselves that "that nice little independent" isn't also going to reach the point where "the bottom line" clashes with your ethics.

*which is where where BrewDog are excelling at coming across badly.

From an IP point of view I find it curious that they are valuing their trademarks more than their recipes, which could be considered trade secrets had they not put them in the public domain. Trade secrets in my experience are considerably rarer.

Also, there is a difference between trying to trademark a word on its own and a logo using that word.

I'm also highly sceptical of those blog post comments. Common sense approach to IP my arse...

The recipe for beer has been widely known for some time now.

I drink in a lot of independent bars whenever I'm Manchester, and I drink a lot of different craft ales.

Brewdog always has some of the best beer without doubt imho.

Repeating the phrase 'craft ale' is doing the marketing twunts' work for them. Craft is not an adjective. The only difference between 'craft ale' and 'ale' is the mark up.

It is likely that they are looking towards a brand francising operation as part of their expansion programme - the local shit produced in gambia or Turkmenistan doesnt matter really, the brand being glued upon it however does. rather like Donald Trump does with his hotels.

Repeating the phrase 'craft ale' is doing the marketing twunts' work for them. Craft is not an adjective. The only difference between 'craft ale' and 'ale' is the mark up.

I drink plenty of "real" ale, it tastes completely different to craft ales which are generally the hoppy american style ones.

I drink plenty of "real" ale, it tastes completely different to craft ales which are generally the hoppy american style ones.

Craft ale doesn't taste like anything because it doesn't exist. Unless you happen to be yeast, you can't 'craft' a beer. And even if you could, the correct way to describe the beer so produced would be 'crafted ale'.

Putting beer in tiny cans does not make it special. Drinking it does not make you special. It makes you a credulous fool.

Craft ale doesn't taste like anything because it doesn't exist. Unless you happen to be yeast, you can't 'craft' a beer. And even if you could, the correct way to describe the beer so produced would be 'crafted ale'.

Putting beer in tiny cans does not make it special. Drinking it does not make you special. It makes you a credulous fool.

I honestly could't give a toss what it's called or supplied in. I like the taste of it, in glasses in pubs, when I feel like some.

It's almost as if those hipsters, who think "craft" ale makes them cool, are actually twats. :thumbs:

I'm no hipster, I just like beer!

Then you should stand against those who try to cheapen it with their gimcrack marketing bullshit.

e2a: And the term 'craft ale' implies that non-craft ale is inferior, produced in a slapdash way by uncaring amateurs. This is a bit of an insult to well-established brewers who have been working hard to make good beer since long before these crafty cunts were even a twinkle in a hedge fund's eye.

Last edited:
The recipe for beer has been widely known for some time now.
Generic beer yes. Their bespoke fancy beers - or indeed those of any brewer from the smallest producer to the likes of anheuser bunch - no. It's not the ingredients, it's the whole process. That's why trade secrets are so valuable.

Back
Top Bottom