Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brazil vs Mexico (R16) - 15:00 - 02/07/2018

Lively start. Come on Mexico!

1280-458663363-mexican-maraca-man.jpg

Ally McCoist is rapidly becoming my favourite commentator. Every now and again he comes up with some local history or describes what the the city's museum is like. It's great.

Brazil disturbingly better than I expected.

They absolutely ran away with it in qualifying, Argentina were miles behind. They've started slowly but they are clearly the best team still in the tournament.

They absolutely ran away with it in qualifying, Argentina were miles behind. They've started slowly but they are clearly the best team still in the tournament.
Them and France for me.

I like that Brazil combine ball skills and possession with directness and purpose, unlike, say, Spain.

then again iirc in 2002 Brasil almost failed to qualify, only just doing so in their final qualification game. they then went on to win the cup. my truism about Brasil is that if they feel they can take their foot off the peddle they will, even in the middle of a match, as against the Swiss the other day for example, but when it comes to the crunch they rise to the occasion without getting too nervy about it.

then again iirc in 2002 Brasil almost failed to qualify, only just doing so in their final qualification game. they then went on to win the cup. my truism about Brasil is that if they feel they can take their foot off the peddle they will, even in the middle of a match, as against the Swiss the other day for example, but when it comes to the crunch they rise to the occasion without getting too nervy about it.
Not sure they did that against the Swiss. Swiss were pretty clever with their team fouling policy and stopped Brazil from playing. Just about the opposite tactic from Mexico today so far.

Always enjoy watching Mexico, but they often seem to lack a proven goalscorer.

Why waste effort & energy when it's not needed? ;)

What's the worst Brazil have ever done in a World Cup? Have they ever failed to get out of the group stage?

Back
Top Bottom