Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Black Lives Matter demos and protests UK, 2020-2021

Aside from a few bottles being thrown has anything actually happened? Remember the other day when people started on about looting and rioting but it was just some scuffles.
Well it seems like everyone has been getting excited about the idea of a bit of a ruck (e.g this thread title FFS). The tories must be delighted to have something to take the heat off them over Covid.

I apologise for the misleading title of the thread.

I wasnt trying to say it was happening, I was checking whether anyone else had information to support what I was hearing. Turned out my own intel was wrong. And because there was, even then, no threads on here about the protests in the UK (which still seems odd to me) this thread became the feed for that information.

I’ll go back and edit the title.

I apologise for the misleading title of the thread.

I wasnt trying to say it was happening, I was checking whether anyone else had information to support what I was hearing. Turned out my own intel was wrong. And because there was, even then, no threads on here about the protests in the UK (which still seems odd to me) this thread became the feed for that information.

I’ll go back and edit the title.

Okay, so it looks like I’m too late to edit the titlte. I’ll ask a mod to do that.

I heard second hand, (can anyone confirm) that 4 or 5 far right turned up and were being provocative. Police tried to protect them and then had bottles thrown at them. That's what kicked it off.

britain first were there with a white lives matter banner that had a picture of emily jones on it. not gonna link it here but its allover twitter

Provocation, presumably. That image of the horse running off on it's own already has sensible Centrists on Twitter weeping about the hateful protestors picking on poor innocent horses. Mana from heaven for the Tories and the Right. No matter how exaggerated.

It doesn't matter in the slightest what sensible centrists or Tories think. There was plenty of tub thumping right wing condemnations and centrist handwringing immediately after the Mark Duggan protest in Tottenham in 2011 and the storming of Millbank by students the year before. Neither made any difference to what happened next.

Contrary to some people's beliefs the state in the main does not want violent disorder. Firstly because there's no telling where it will end, we only have to be lucky once after all, and secondly because it makes governments look weak both at home and abroad. I don't think the horseback charge was provocation. I think it was a panicked response to an angry and largely black crowd. And I doubt it will have been well received in the higher echelons, although given the current shower who knows. But the last thing the Tories need right now is disorder and protest on the scale happening across the Atlantic, or the chance of a repeat of 2011, and the footage of that horseback charge I would say made that more, not less likely (although still not that likely probably, but here's hoping).

It doesn't matter in the slightest what sensible centrists or Tories think. There was plenty of tub thumping right wing condemnations and centrist handwringing immediately after the Mark Duggan protest in Tottenham in 2011 and the storming of Millbank by students the year before. Neither made any difference to what happened next.

Never said it did.

I like how it's described as a protester and police officer clash.

e2a: actually moved from rolleyes to fuck this. This is not a clash and what the fuck with putting Black Lives Matter in quotes.
Fucking hell. Good job his badge number's clear, all the easier to identify him for the inevitable investigation into the use of excessive force.

So Police officer injures herself riding into traffic light whilst charging a mainly peaceful protest?

ETA I think the horse was spooked.

Poor Horse

not sure if it was spooked as they where coming in for the first charge

sounds like a newbie copper who got a little bit to enthusiastic his first roit charge

Last edited:
When some hack asked Hand Cock on the daily briefing yesterday? as to what the Gov would do to enforce social distancing during this weekends protests - his answer was - that’ll be up to the police.

Get those animals off those horses. My pleasure said the traffic light.

Poor Horse

not sure if it was spooked as they where coming in for the first charge

sounds like a newbie copper who got a little bit to enthusiasticon his first roit charge
& poor protestor who got trampled by unseated horse.
I think it was a she but unless she had been watching the 2000 Guineas earlier, the horse seems to be going at a charge rather than a trot that the other horses are.
Not really safe for horses to be charging on wet greasy London streets.

Last edited:
& poor protestor who got trampled by unseated horse.
I think it was a she but unless she had been watching the 2000 Guineas earlier, the horse seems to be going at a charge rather than a trot that the other horses are.
Not really safe for horses to be charging on wet greasy London streets.
That was the most cackhanded charge I've seen since Hyde Park in 94. What was the point of it, other than to confirm protesters in their view of the police?

On way cycling back home tonight took photos of the wonderful home made placards people had left on railing. A great impromptu artwork. I think these banners say how important this issue is to ordinary people. Its not the usual placards one sees at demos. Shows the depth of feeling behind the protest.

I didn't go to the demo as I could not justify to myself the risk. If it was risk to me only I would have gone. But a gathering of this size during a pandemic puts others at risk. London has succeeded in reducing infection rate but the situation is far from under control. My borough Lambeth has still high number of cases. So for time being for me I'm not attending demos. IMG_20200606_210512.jpg

It did mean I found these placards which I would have missed otherwise.

Here are a few.IMG_20200606_210311.jpgIMG_20200606_211503.jpgIMG_20200606_210701.jpgIMG_20200606_210721.jpgIMG_20200606_210343.jpg

Back
Top Bottom