Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Biscuitville deserves its own thread.

i have been, but you can get scones here too y'know!
scones are similar but heavier, in my experience.
tasty suckers.
So biscuits are lighter? Hmm. I wonder how that works. You are our only expert witness so far. Would you be able to give us any more background on these regional delicacies?

So biscuits are lighter?

yes. also have salt, sometime lots of it.

Hmm. I wonder how that works. You are our only expert witness so far. Would you be able to give us any more background on these regional delicacies?

biscuits are universally popular, though i wasn't raised with them. for breadstuffs i was raised with soda bread (the mother made excellent sodabread) and that great irish-jewish-newyorky delicacy, pan-fried bread.

um ... am i to understand that you've never had a biscuit? you, the biuscuitville maven?

biscuits are universally popular, though i wasn't raised with them. for breadstuffs i was raised with soda bread (the mother made excellent sodabread) and that great irish-jewish-newyorky delicacy, pan-fried bread.

um ... am i to understand that you've never had a biscuit? you, the biuscuitville maven?
Of course we've all had a biscuit. I think we're just querying the fast and looseness of the term as used by Biscuitville.

No, never had a biscuit in that sense. My scones have salt in, though not “lots”. I’ve never seen a scone recipe that doesn’t call for a pinch of salt.

I have had savoury cobbler, though. My mum used to make mince cobbler (a recipe here Make Minced Beef Cobbler and Dumplings With This Easy Recipe ).

Ok, not just me then.

But then:

Hmmm. I always thought the scones were cobbles. I thought that was the metaphor. Maybe that’s it: they’re the cobbles but the dish is cobbler?

The gravy looks deeply odd - I'm no fan of gravy but the one on the site looked anaemic.
Yeah, that’s because “gravy” in the US means “sauce”.

I noticed on the Sopranos that they called their Sugo (tomato sauce) “gravy”. Indeed, they seemed to call all pasta “macaroni”. So fusilli and tomato Sugo is “macaroni and gravy”.

Similarly, that bacon or sausage flavoured white sauce in the picture is “gravy”. I’d hoped petee would give some background, but he feared a trap. :(

I imagine ‘biscuits’ may go well with a tin of baked beans and eight dinky sausages poured over them.

Yeah, that’s because “gravy” in the US means “sauce”.

I noticed on the Sopranos that they called their Sugo (tomato sauce) “gravy”. Indeed, they seemed to call all pasta “macaroni”. So fusilli and tomato Sugo is “macaroni and gravy”.

Similarly, that bacon or sausage flavoured white sauce in the picture is “gravy”. I’d hoped petee would give some background, but he feared a trap. :(

no, gravy is a dark brown thick liquid, beef-based.
that whitish stuff is sauce.
two nations divided by a common language ...

Back
Top Bottom