Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

For thinning/fine hair - Aveda Invati Scalp Revitalizer. Bit pricey, and if it actually stimulates re-growth I'll eat me fucking hat like, but it definitely makes hair look loads thicker. My thin bits are almost invisible now - best product so far :thumbs:

Smells ace, but some reviewers reckon it stinks, and doesn't feel tacky or owt either.

I'd recommend The Ordinary range of skincare products (as featured by both Sali Hughes and Caroline Hirons). They're a range of 'less frills' (I like the packaging) products using the more proven skincare ingredients at very reasonable prices.

I've only been using a couple of weeks but the Hyaluronic Acid and Buffet serums are the only serums I've used that come close to Vichy Aqualia for me in terms of plumping, hydrating and glowing my skin and come in at £5.90 and £12.70 compared to Vichy Aqualia's £22.50 . I'm trying the retinol as well at the moment, and am tempted by the £6 moisturiser when my current one runs out. Basically, I'm a big convert and I think at these prices they're really worth giving a try.

I'd recommend The Ordinary range of skincare products (as featured by both Sali Hughes and Caroline Hirons). They're a range of 'less frills' (I like the packaging) products using the more proven skincare ingredients at very reasonable prices.

I've only been using a couple of weeks but the Hyaluronic Acid and Buffet serums are the only serums I've used that come close to Vichy Aqualia for me in terms of plumping, hydrating and glowing my skin and come in at £5.90 and £12.70 compared to Vichy Aqualia's £22.50 . I'm trying the retinol as well at the moment, and am tempted by the £6 moisturiser when my current one runs out. Basically, I'm a big convert and I think at these prices they're really worth giving a try.

I'd love to try this brand. :oops: Options for skin care are more limited in China but I've got really into Peter Thomas Roth, even if it is quite expensive. They do a hyaluronic acid toner and a nice gel which uses enzymes or something to exfoliate.

The problem is that they are cheap because they are the raw ingredients and so you need to know what each thing is used for as well as when to use it. I liked Wayne Goss on YouTube review- he gave some great info on this range back in August. I got about 6 things and am trying them all out. It's like chemistry, I'm having fun!

The problem is that they are cheap because they are the raw ingredients and so you need to know what each thing is used for as well as when to use it. I liked Wayne Goss on YouTube review- he gave some great info on this range back in August. I got about 6 things and am trying them all out. It's like chemistry, I'm having fun!

I love the fact that it's demystifying the beauty industry : there are effective ingredients that do certain things and you can discover what they are. Why should skincare be any different to other areas of life?

They've put up various regimens on the website to follow for different concerns now which is very helpful, or as I did you can replace a product with those ingredients with one of theirs. Yu_Gi_Oh is it simply a case of having someone to post them on or would they not get through customs?

Last edited:
I love the fact that it's demystifying the beauty industry : there are effective ingredients that do certain things and you can discover what they are. Why should skincare be any different to other areas of life?

They've put up various regimens on the website to follow for different concerns now which is very helpful, or as I did you can replace a product with those ingredients with one of theirs. Yu_Gi_Oh is it simply a case of having someone to post them on or would they not get through customs?

I've been away from home so long that my family have lost all interest in sending me care packages. :D I think that postage and stuff would mean it ended up about the same price as Roth. I'm cool with splurging in Sephora every couple of months anyway, but when I visit my dad in January I'll definitely buy some The Ordinary and maybe bring a load back in my suitcase. :)

I'm using stuff from The Ordinary range ATM too - specifically the "Buffet" peptide serum, the Hyarulonic acid serum and the Vitamin C suspension. I like them, especially the price. I'm also using prescription strength retinol I got in Turkey. My skin is glowing!

I'm using stuff from The Ordinary range ATM too - specifically the "Buffet" peptide serum, the Hyarulonic acid serum and the Vitamin C suspension. I like them, especially the price. I'm also using prescription strength retinol I got in Turkey. My skin is glowing!
Where do I even start with this stuff? I don't like the acidy things because they sting, and I don't know what the rest is. I'm a soap and water person with a splash of olay at night, but I ain't getting, or looking, any younger. :hmm:

Where do I even start with this stuff? I don't like the acidy things because they sting, and I don't know what the rest is. I'm a soap and water person with a splash of olay at night, but I ain't getting, or looking, any younger. :hmm:
I fear you may find it all too stingy as your skin is so sensitive. :(

Ah :( I'll stick to my current 'regime' then :D
My bathroom is littered with stinging potions I've tried once and never again.

I had a fantastic facial today. It was at my local place and called 'rejuvenating'. It started with steam from a wand thing next to my face, cleanse, scrub, blackhead removal, face/neck/shoulder massage and a tightening mask. Best of all she complimented my skin and lack of wrinkles and asked if I had Botox! And said I had a perfect nose...lol.

I think what has helped is proper cleansing and not using make up wipes.

I had a fantastic facial today. It was at my local place and called 'rejuvenating'. It started with steam from a wand thing next to my face, cleanse, scrub, blackhead removal, face/neck/shoulder massage and a tightening mask. Best of all she complimented my skin and lack of wrinkles and asked if I had Botox! And said I had a perfect nose...lol.

I think what has helped is proper cleansing and not using make up wipes.
Proper cleansing is the poodle's plums I rekkin. I splashed out on Eve Lom (I know, I know, but it lasts fr'ages as you only use a tiny amount) and like it immensely. Another good one, is the Ultimelt from Soap and Glory which I may revert back to when i'm over some menopausal madness.

I have also discovered Marcelle BB Cream in Golden Glow, got some in my Birchbox. It has a radiating glow and feels smooth plus a little goes a long way.

Botanics radiance balm by Boots is gorgeous. I didnt put on any makeup today but did use this. My skin was glowing in a good way, I'll use it again tomorrow with minimal foundation.

I like the idea but the website doesn't exactly make it easy to choose what you need, does it?

Any idea what I'd pick for mild rosacea and general middle aged wrinkliness and fatigue?

ATM I use a 1% BHA lotion and Boots 'lift and luminate'.

My favourite beauty product is Soap and Glory Hand Food. It smells well yum. I also use it on dry, cracked lips and it smoothes them out and makes them very soft.

I like the idea but the website doesn't exactly make it easy to choose what you need, does it?

Any idea what I'd pick for mild rosacea and general middle aged wrinkliness and fatigue?

ATM I use a 1% BHA lotion and Boots 'lift and luminate'.

They have posted some sample routines, including a general anti aging one that I'm sort of following. I can't link from my phone and family visiting right now!

Well, I WAS going to say the No 7 'beautiful overnight revitalising eye balm', until my brows started coming up in little itchy lumps!

A thought:- I have recently started to show decidedly hooded eyelids, with occasional transfer of eyeliner from where it should be to where it didn't oughta. The woman who does my legwaxing reckons it could actually be fluid retention and gentle massage over the eyelid from nose outwards may do the trick. I've tried it and it does seem to work although its obviously not permanent.

Hi I just come on here to ask about the Ordinary stuff - The Ordinary | Clinical Formulations with Integrity | A DECIEM Brand So thanks Plumdaff

I'm older, mid 50s, with the sort of fine lines and dry patchy bits that makeup doesn't sit well on. I don't get on with a whole load of products and a lot of creams make me want to scratch my face off, and the price of most stuff makes me want to weep. However I've no idea which of these acids/ oils/ emulsions do or what I need, there is so much unscientific bollocks written about beauty stuff I hardly know where to start.

Since I cant afford expensive stuff anymore I've tried Boots products, Simple products and some random shit. Mostly they make me itch, or my eyes water or they are useless. If they work for me I find the next time I try to buy them they have changed them. I end up using them up on my body as I hate to waste them. I'm alergic to something, but don't know what - I'm hoping its the extra perfume/ colour / otherstuff, that's why these single ingredient products look interesting.

and what do you think QOTH ? Has everyone else tried these?

Hi I just come on here to ask about the Ordinary stuff - The Ordinary | Clinical Formulations with Integrity | A DECIEM Brand So thanks Plumdaff

I'm older, mid 50s, with the sort of fine lines and dry patchy bits that makeup doesn't sit well on..........

.........and what do you think QOTH ? Has everyone else tried these?
. I have and like you i'm 50ish and feel limited in wearing make up by my lines ( and grooves in my case!) I am happily splashing quite a few of the ordinary products on my face, neck, back of my hands and cleavage every night (buffet and hyaluronic in the morning, retinol or vit c on alternate nights) but it will take 6 months to see any difference. It feels good though!
Avoid the vit c if you have sensitive skin, it stings.

and what do you think QOTH ? Has everyone else tried these?

I'm early 40s with mildly sensitive dry skin and have been following their generic anti ageing routine for about five months. I also use a fancy night cream I got as a Xmas present and a Soap and Glory moisturizer with SPF25 (vital if you use the Ordinary retinol) on top every morning. I think I've noticed a significant improvement in my skin, and if I got a decent night sleep ever I might even glow!

I do occasionally get a sting off the retinoid and if I had very sensitive skin I'd use a lot of caution with it; I've not had any other reaction from their products at all. They are very basic, there's no perfume in the products - in fact the rosehip oil smells well, fishy and oily, and might put people off with its lack of 'disguise'.

Hi Flipstick and Plumdaff That's very helpful I might give some ordinary stuff a try. I'll start with the moisurising ones I think.

They are very basic, there's no perfume in the products - in fact the rosehip oil smells well, fishy and oily, and might put people off with its lack of 'disguise'.
Well I like fish but not sure I want to smell of them, I was thinking that rosehips might smell of roses. Is it rank?

Not sure about retinol or other vitamins anyway.

I've been using Buffet, the Hyaluronic acid serum, Vitamin C serum and the retinoid from the Ordinary range (not all at the same time). My skin looks pretty good and the odd bit of sun damage I have is definitely fading.

Back
Top Bottom