Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

izz and Manter -
looking into bbrowbar and makeup revolution, but both have several options for brows. What formulations are you recommending?
I've used the brow kit - but its very similar to the wax 'n' shade Benefit one you've tried already so it may be of no use to you, having said that all the Makeuprevolution ones are cheap as chips so you won't lose out if it doesn't work. On another tack they do a makeup fixer spray and another especially for oilier skins at £5 Makeup Fixing Spray - FACE which may be worth a whirl.

Not powerful enough for you, I don't think, Spanglechick, but I have just discovered this MUA Luxe Power Brow | MUA Make up Academy which is perfect for emphasising my pale eyebrows just enough, without looking scousebrow.

My favourite kit is Sourcils de Chanel, but it's similar to the benefit one but in better packaging.

I use sleek which is a wax then powder. Haven't tested longevity tho so suspect it's inadequate.

I use a Barry M version of Brow Zing which is good but nothing lasts more than a few hours on me so can't vouch for its staying power.

Not a beauty product but a warning. I've had some bleeding gums when I brush so I've been using Corsodyl and so has Mr Looby. His teeth have got really stained recently and the hygienist spotted straight away that he was using Corsodyl. A quick google shows that it's well known for staining teeth but I had no idea. [emoji35]

Not a beauty product but a warning. I've had some bleeding gums when I brush so I've been using Corsodyl and so has Mr Looby. His teeth have got really stained recently and the hygienist spotted straight away that he was using Corsodyl. A quick google shows that it's well known for staining teeth but I had no idea. [emoji35]

It's expensive but Curasept mouthwash does the same thing without staining your teeth. Not sure how available it is in shops but you can buy it from eBay and Amazon. You do need to be doing some kind of interdental cleaning regularly as well though.

It's expensive but Curasept mouthwash does the same thing without staining your teeth. Not sure how available it is in shops but you can buy it from eBay and Amazon. You do need to be doing some kind of interdental cleaning regularly as well though.
Cheers, yeah I have been. I won't get anything to replace the Corsodyl as the bleeding wasn't even that bad in the first place, I just carried on using it for ages. I've been having a go at Mr Looby for drinking too much coffee. [emoji1]

It used to have a warning on the bottle not to use it with X amount of time of brushing teeth. I've just looked and the warning isn't on there anymore - and it says that the label contents were revised March 2014. Pretty poor to take the warning off imo.

Try using the Corsodyl Daily Looby - no staining.

Also - read the label on Corsodyl. It specifically states not to drink coffee within an hour (each way) of using it.

It used to have a warning on the bottle not to use it with X amount of time of brushing teeth. I've just looked and the warning isn't on there anymore - and it says that the label contents were revised March 2014. Pretty poor to take the warning off imo.
Ah - didn't see this!! Wonder why they removed it?!

Ah - didn't see this!! Wonder why they removed it?!
OOO! Hang on, I've just spotted there's a peel-back section :eek:

Side effects and temporary staining of teeth and tongue. Can avoid by not drinking tea, coffee and red wine especially within an hour of use and by brushing daily with toothpaste. If it persists a scale and polish at the dentist/hygienist will sort it. Apparently.

Side effects and temporary staining of teeth and tongue. Can avoid by not drinking tea, coffee and red wine especially within an hour of use and by brushing daily with toothpaste. If it persists a scale and polish at the dentist/hygienist will sort it. Apparently.

Yeah, the scale and polish worked really well for Mr Looby, his teeth look amazing. £68 quid though, should have peeled back that label!

Luckily mine aren't too bad, probably because I don't drink much tea or coffee but still annoying! Oh well, I know now.

Yeah, the scale and polish worked really well for Mr Looby, his teeth look amazing. £68 quid though, should have peeled back that label!

Luckily mine aren't too bad, probably because I don't drink much tea or coffee but still annoying! Oh well, I know now.
Which listerine are you using? There's an advanced white formula which I've got but I don't know how effective it is. perhaps iona knows?

I have face questions which I'm sure I've asked before.

I have combination skin with some dry patches round my chin and nose.
I use Clinique 3 step skincare and am going to use a slightly heavier cream at night now the weather is changing.
I want my skin to look fresher/more dewy rather than matt with heavy powder but I need medium coverage for my dodgy patches/red bits.
From my limited research it seems I need-
A sheer but not oil based foundation .
An illuminating primer. Bourjois do one that's in my price range unless anyone else has a recommendation?

Do I also need highlighter if I'm using the primer?
Setting spray has also been mentioned. Should I use this and ditch powder completely? izz suggested Revolution's fixing spray, any other ideas?

Any tips/ product suggestions? I can't spend lots, I'm very poor this month.

I use Nivea Men sensitive post shave balm as a primer :D (£5 ish). It's glycerin based so does an excellent job as a primer and cheap as chips.

Aha! Thought so :)

I've gone back to the astringent joy of listerine. [emoji1]
That's meant to be really bad for your gums. It's got alcohol in it. Not good! Try the Corsodyl Daily - it's great.

Guy at work got mouth cancer, thought to be related to his obsession with alcohol-based mouthwash (he used to keep a bottle on his desk). He's had half his tongue removed :(

What colour? Ugh! I use it because I've inherited gum disease off both parents.

Guy at work got mouth cancer, thought to be related to his obsession with alcohol-based mouthwash (he used to keep a bottle on his desk). He's had half his tongue removed :(
No idea about that, sorry. Probably not all that effective though. We don't tend to recommend Listerine but if you are going to use it alcohol free is better.
Oh god, all this stuff I don't know.
I've got a litre of listerine in my bathroom now and I was using it for years before I switched to bloody Corsodyl a couple of months back. [emoji15]

What colour? Ugh! I use it because I've inherited gum disease off both parents.
Mr Looby's teeth were rapidly going brown! I suspect because he was combining it with drinking enormous amounts of strong coffee.
I was really telling him off about his dental hygiene. Now he blames me entirely, I hate being wrong. [emoji35]

I have face questions which I'm sure I've asked before.

I have combination skin with some dry patches round my chin and nose.
I use Clinique 3 step skincare and am going to use a slightly heavier cream at night now the weather is changing.
I want my skin to look fresher/more dewy rather than matt with heavy powder but I need medium coverage for my dodgy patches/red bits.
From my limited research it seems I need-
A sheer but not oil based foundation .
An illuminating primer. Bourjois do one that's in my price range unless anyone else has a recommendation?

Do I also need highlighter if I'm using the primer?
Setting spray has also been mentioned. Should I use this and ditch powder completely? izz suggested Revolution's fixing spray, any other ideas?

Any tips/ product suggestions? I can't spend lots, I'm very poor this month.
*Bump*
I'm going shopping this afternoon.
There is a Boots (with all the major counters) and Superdrug. No Mac counter unless I drive to Southampton.

A tablespoon of tablespoon of salt and one teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in boiling water (allow to cool obvs) is a sure fixer for bleeding gums and whitening teeth. An old school dentist told me this some time ago and it really works.

Has anyone tried nanoblur? They were giving samples away with money off vouchers in Victoria station the other day. I still have the voucher but lost the sample.

It claims to make you look '10 years younger in 40 seconds' which I am skeptical about.

I got this the other day, it's gorgeous and lovely.

Replenishing Moisturising Cream

I've only used it once (I was out and I'd forgotten to moisturise that morning, so I'm finishing up my old Simple moisturiser atm) but it was great and I'll try it out and possibly switch over to it full time.

Back
Top Bottom