Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beating the Fascists: The authorised history of Anti-Fascist Action

Tilzey is mentioned numerous times all in a bad light yet you bleat away about mentioning names..anonymously. The inference re Harrogate was that he was a coward. The people who go on about being so game and brave were pilloried for supposedly shitting it at the Enkel, all bollox i know but while you stick the knife into him hes bound to fightback using whatever fucking name he wants. The Red Action book does exactly what it accuses Hann and Tilzey did ie naming people. The ref to the arson is too much detail...

Steve, Steve, Steve. Slow down mate. Your posts have 5 only hours between them. You obviously need more sleep.

I have no personal axe to grind with you but these are the facts. You wrote your book - a personal memoire which you wrote for your own reasons, without consulting too many. Now a large group of other people have written theirs - a political and historical record of an entire political movement over a long period of time, which they wrote in consultation with many people. I understand why you might not like what is written about you, but the book isn't about you and the political movement wasn't about you.

The arson thing? No big mystery. One fella got caught, kept schtum, did his bird. Hid comrades were never apprehended. Where do you think the story came from, apart from one of the participants? What they choose to say is exactly that... their choice.

Did Red Action try to nobble 'No Retreat' by threatening legal action against the authors or the publishers? No they did not. Yet you saw fit to do so with BTF.

@ Bignose

have you had a religious conversion and are now speaking in tongues?

Slow down. Type in english. Leave some white space. Get a grip, you are ranting.

PS. If you would like to PM me at any stage, feel free.

Its been mooted in the book that Denis Clifford should have led the Manchester squad. Well he would have if he'd been more reliable. He got a bad rep for not making events due to either being hungover or just too lazy. Its clever to say that the Rocdale 8 lads shouldnt have gone up there but iif theyd have waited for Clifford to turn up theyd still be sat there now. Its great hindsight isnt it. You can call Tilzey many things but he was never a coward.(Harrogate) Your source is fuddled...too much you know what. Loyalty to Manchester was what was important and most of the twats posting about him were either from outside or cleared off to London. You know fuck all about the place.

Hello Steve,

Lets clear up the insults first. Coward. I certainly would not describe you in those terms. When I joined the squad it was because of lads such as yourself, big Steve, Roy, who were prepared to go the extra mile and risk the nickings and the kickings for what you believed in.

Harrogate. There were three sources of information for that story. Dessie Noonan’s recollection of the events in the park after the pub battle are retold in the book, and the story is not new to you. Perhaps this story reflects your move away from street activity, as you stated in No retreat.

There was only one leader of the squad and that was JP as we both know. When JP and the Rochdale lads were in prison, the streetwork continued with its own leadership which wasn’t well received by 2 members of your organisation. When JP was released, he issued a statement signed by all including you, ending relations with Searchlight. A strange course of action to take in defence of a lazy unreliable drunk, don’t you think?

Unreliable and lazy? Honestly Steve. Next you will be telling people that I smell.

I find this (and the nonsense you were posting on Indymedia) extermely sad really, especially as when you appeared unexpectedly, in a pub where I drink, I did not have a problem talking to you. We had a reasonable conversation, and when, almost immediately, you raised the matter of the book you co-wrote, saying it was the one thing you wished you hadn’t done, I actually told you I had no issue with you writing the book. In my view you were fully entitled to do so, but you should have wrote your own (full) story of your days in the squad and what you got up to with searchlight, rather than teaming up with someone who we both knew was damaged goods. You could have been Searchlight’s Andy McNab.

And again when you appeared the following week, I was cordial and prepared to have a drink and a chat with you, albeit somewhat bemused as to why you suddenly found my company so compelling after a 12 year hiatus, But when you appeared for the third time, I had to draw a line under it and shoo you away.

When you rang me regarding Dave Hann and the fanzine, following his departure from AFA, I met you in Didsbury at your request and resolved matters with you.

Steve, if you have issues with me, I don’t have a problem sitting down with you to go through them, but let’s make it mutually convenient next time.

You have written your book and had your say. I have been asked about events that I was allegedly involved in, and have commented accordingly like many others who were involved. Some have been included in the book, some haven’t.

This book is a long overdue and comprehensive (if not complete) history of AFA, where it came from, what happened on the way, and where it went. That’s all a bit bigger than you and me and a bit more important too. Just be glad you got a mention and move on.

But wasnt it the same legal firm that Oxford IWCA used to sue the labour party for 15k. So GTF on that one.

it's hardly the same thing though is it

a pro-working class organisation using them (on a no win/no fee basis) against a member of an anti-working class party of government

one anti-fascist using them (cash up front) against other anti-fascists takes the biscuit

But what a Movement, what a brilliant thing that we were all part of. The early ANL, the Squads, AFA... all consistently (ahem) punched well above their weight. If the Fash had known how few we were (and if they had the balls) we would've been well fucked. But they didn't, thanks be to fuck.

At times it was just like a scene out of like '300' - but with beer bellies... and without the men in underpants... and the swords and shields... and 2500 years later... and yep, just like it.:p

Hello Steve,

Lets clear up the insults first. Coward. I certainly would not describe you in those terms. When I joined the squad it was because of lads such as yourself, big Steve, Roy, who were prepared to go the extra mile and risk the nickings and the kickings for what you believed in.

Harrogate. There were three sources of information for that story. Dessie Noonan’s recollection of the events in the park after the pub battle are retold in the book, and the story is not new to you. Perhaps this story reflects your move away from street activity, as you stated in No retreat.

There was only one leader of the squad and that was JP as we both know. When JP and the Rochdale lads were in prison, the streetwork continued with its own leadership which wasn’t well received by 2 members of your organisation. When JP was released, he issued a statement signed by all including you, ending relations with Searchlight. A strange course of action to take in defence of a lazy unreliable drunk, don’t you think?

Unreliable and lazy? Honestly Steve. Next you will be telling people that I smell.

I find this (and the nonsense you were posting on Indymedia) extermely sad really, especially as when you appeared unexpectedly, in a pub where I drink, I did not have a problem talking to you. We had a reasonable conversation, and when, almost immediately, you raised the matter of the book you co-wrote, saying it was the one thing you wished you hadn’t done, I actually told you I had no issue with you writing the book. In my view you were fully entitled to do so, but you should have wrote your own (full) story of your days in the squad and what you got up to with searchlight, rather than teaming up with someone who we both knew was damaged goods. You could have been Searchlight’s Andy McNab.

And again when you appeared the following week, I was cordial and prepared to have a drink and a chat with you, albeit somewhat bemused as to why you suddenly found my company so compelling after a 12 year hiatus, But when you appeared for the third time, I had to draw a line under it and shoo you away.

When you rang me regarding Dave Hann and the fanzine, following his departure from AFA, I met you in Didsbury at your request and resolved matters with you.

Steve, if you have issues with me, I don’t have a problem sitting down with you to go through them, but let’s make it mutually convenient next time.

You have written your book and had your say. I have been asked about events that I was allegedly involved in, and have commented accordingly like many others who were involved. Some have been included in the book, some haven’t.

This book is a long overdue and comprehensive (if not complete) history of AFA, where it came from, what happened on the way, and where it went. That’s all a bit bigger than you and me and a bit more important too. Just be glad you got a mention and move on.

When all that unsavoury stuff came out on the RA forum after No Retreat it got very personal and dont forget Ive got kids family friends etc who shouldnt have had to be potentially exposed to all that let alone giving the fash all the ins and outs. The AFA book when I get round to reading it completely will be a compeling read. I was a part of that. It will however be tinged with sadness about how comrades have turned on each other. Dont think for one minute Ive enjoyed repelling the personal comments with bit of vitriol, youll usually find there late at night and at weekends. Re the pub stuff. One of your pals in the pub opposite asked me over to say hello to you which I did and we had a decent chat. My issues with No Retreat were not with writing it per se but because of its style, context, the fall outs etc etc etc I also left out a lot of stuff because it may have compromised people. It wasnt a Searchlight spoiler they had exactly zero input and have never commented on it.The second time I met you was because I was in there with mates, dont flatter yourself fellah, it is/was my local. I dont go in now as there is some issue, not sure what exactly But most of the lads in there are pals who I watched grow up as kids. When I walked in the last time to see Big Fred rolling about with some kid I thought what the fuck am I doing here, is this peoples idea of a good night. It seems that the guy who punched me in the face or was it a slap it may have been a bird actually for what it was worth finally sealed it for me so I keep clear and you welcome to it. We were very good pals, comrades etc and in a clear sober frame of mind it makes me sick at how youve all turned me into some kind of pariah. Ive gone down the personal route too which I regret and which from this post will call it a day..full stop. I didnt move away from street activity till mid to late 90s following a serious knee injury which makes the Harrogate tale a bit flimsy.And although Ive put on a lot of timber and Im no longer game Im still politically active, no not with your nemesis organisation but involved with fighting to save peoples jobs. Getting a mention in your book...thanks but no thanks..slipping down the food chain is hardly complimentary but I suppose Ive been called worse than plankton so really I should be grateful. Well I respect your open, public response and I can hand on heart on my part leave this shitty thread thats festering and giving the fash wanking material for good.

reply bto demu

When all that unsavoury stuff came out on the RA forum after No Retreat it got very personal and dont forget Ive got kids family friends etc who shouldnt have had to be potentially exposed to all that let alone giving the fash all the ins and outs. The AFA book when I get round to reading it completely will be a compeling read. I was a part of that. It will however be tinged with sadness about how comrades have turned on each other. Dont think for one minute Ive enjoyed repelling the personal comments with bit of vitriol, youll usually find there late at night and at weekends. Re the pub stuff. One of your pals in the pub opposite asked me over to say hello to you which I did and we had a decent chat. My issues with No Retreat were not with writing it per se but because of its style, context, the fall outs etc etc etc I also left out a lot of stuff because it may have compromised people. It wasnt a Searchlight spoiler they had exactly zero input and have never commented on it.The second time I met you was because I was in there with mates, dont flatter yourself fellah, it is/was my local. I dont go in now as there is some issue, not sure what exactly But most of the lads in there are pals who I watched grow up as kids. When I walked in the last time to see Big Fred rolling about with some kid I thought what the fuck am I doing here, is this peoples idea of a good night. It seems that the guy who punched me in the face or was it a slap it may have been a bird actually for what it was worth finally sealed it for me so I keep clear and you welcome to it. We were very good pals, comrades etc and in a clear sober frame of mind it makes me sick at how youve all turned me into some kind of pariah. Ive gone down the personal route too which I regret and which from this post will call it a day..full stop. I didnt move away from street activity till mid to late 90s following a serious knee injury which makes the Harrogate tale a bit flimsy.And although Ive put on a lot of timber and Im no longer game Im still politically active, no not with your nemesis organisation but involved with fighting to save peoples jobs. Getting a mention in your book...thanks but no thanks..slipping down the food chain is hardly complimentary but I suppose Ive been called worse than plankton so really I should be grateful. Well I respect your open, public response and I can hand on heart on my part leave this shitty thread thats festering and giving the fash wanking material for good.

Given the conciliatory (and grown-up) tone of D's post and of Steve's response... IMO it would be unhelpful for any of the rest of us to induge ourselves in cheap parting shots at Steve.

Yes there are some personal feelings of hurt, which could perhaps be discussed privately, but there is no need, or reason, for washing dirty laundry on here now. I remember good times, good camraderie and good craic with Steve Tilzey. Whatever fall outs may have occurred, with the passing of time, it is these I choose to focus on.

Demu; Just to clarify: There was only one leader of the squad and that was JP as we both know. When JP and the Rochdale lads were in prison said:
(with DC prominent)[/I] which wasn’t well received by 2 members of your organisation.

Searchlight then made a move to hold Squad meetings without DC. Instead what happened was that Squad meetings were held with DC present and without Searchlight.

When JP was released, he issued a statement signed by all including you, ending relations with Searchlight. A strange course of action to take in defence of a lazy unreliable drunk, don’t you think?

Given the conciliatory (and grown-up) tone of D's post and of Steve's response... IMO it would be unhelpful for any of the rest of us to induge ourselves in cheap parting shots at Steve.

Yes there are some personal feelings of hurt, which could perhaps be discussed privately, but there is no need, or reason, for washing dirty laundry on here now. I remember good times, good camraderie and good craic with Steve Tilzey. Whatever fall outs may have occurred, with the passing of time, it is these I choose to focus on.

Hear hear.

What I want to read is a discussion about what posters feel about the book and its political conclusions ( not just the last chapter ones)

just to clarify the book has not formally been released yet. The bulk of the order is still not back from the printers. We did a limited pre-order in time for the bookfair, but most of those have gone.

So the book is available so far only directly through freedom, or the iwca related site. Any mainstream press and publicity will have to coincide with the mass availabilty of the book - looking likely the end of november now. Also there's usually a three month window where books get reviewed and publicised once the publication date is finalised.

In terms of targeting the radical left-wing press, the representatives of the authors wanted to avoid that environment, a decision i personally agree with, so it'll be promoted it as legitimate read, rather than a niche-market political tome. It's an important piece of social history, and that's how it's going to be marketed to a wide mainstream audience.

Nice to see a picture of my former near neighbour on page 300, it's the female bonehead i'm referring to.

was she called Cath, worked in the Civil Service or something? had a boy friend who looked like the jolly green giant?

Cathy Murphy, aye she worked in the old Benefits Agency. She had two boyfriends at the time-consecutive not concurrent-the first being Simon Curtis a bonehead member of Skrewdriver Security and who lived on the same landing and right opposite a leading member of Militant. He was a big fucker and probably who you mean. She then split wth him (allegations of domestic violence were told to union reps at her work) and moved round the corner from where I lived with a smaller bonehead called Adrian Blundell, a leading member (sic), of White Aryan Resistance (probably a leading member of 10 members)..... I literally ran into him on my way home once and sent him flying.... Funny as fuck.... Him and Murphy used to have regular teas with Max Wagegg a former SS soldier who lived in Brimingham.

Response to allegations made about the late Dave Hann in Beating the Fascists: The Untold Story of Anti-Fascist Action published by Freedom Press

As Dave Hann’s partner of 15 years, I am making this statement to refute the account of him in Beating the Fascists, in particular, that he was guilty of mugging a gay student.

The truth is that in 1995 Dave was, along with a friend, charged with robbery. He pleaded not guilty and was acquitted by a Crown Court jury.

The book claims that the jury reached a not guilty verdict not because Dave was innocent, as he was, but because members of Red Action concocted a defence for his friend which would cause the jury to doubt the victim’s version of events in order to prevent damage to Red Action’s reputation if Dave, who was then a member, was found guilty.

It is suggested that Dave left Red Action because of this case. Dave wrote about his reasons for leaving Red Action in the last few pages of the book he co-authored, No Retreat (2003) and he spoke to me at the time and subsequently. I can confirm that his reasons were wholly ideological and, inevitably, led to political disagreements between Dave and others within Red Action who since have sought to undermine him.

As such, I reject the claims made about Dave in this book. Indeed, I simply do not recognise the portrait painted of the honest man and reliable political activist with whom I shared half my adult life.

It is difficult to see the purpose of this book other than as an attempt to retrospectively justify the actions of a few individuals, which, whilst adding nothing to current debates in the anti-fascist movement or to its collective historical record, damages the reputations of many and causes a great deal of hurt.

People who knew Dave and were part of communities in which he lived and worked have always ignored accusations made to discredit him. Unfortunately some who have known him only by name have used it in a sectarian and destructive row. I would ask them to show more respect, not just for a deceased person who lived a honourable life or his family who have yet to come to terms their loss, but for themselves and the anti-fascist movement of which they claim to be a part.

In his last interview, Dave stated that ‘the most positive thing’ resulting from No Retreat was that it provided some inspiration to anti-fascists in ‘countries like Serbia, Poland and Russia were the fascists are fairly rampant’ and he talked about his determination to keep writing. When he died, he had almost completed a manuscript charting anti-fascism in Britain from 1920s to today, not only covering well-known events but also forgotten local groups and their actions. He combined writing with building work, involvement in youth and community football and support for local anti-Guantanamo campaign. He also helped run a residents group to which he brought organisational skills learnt though years of anti-fascist work and was always trusted because of his respect for the right of people to control their own lives.

Louise Purbrick

It is difficult to see the purpose of this book other than as an attempt to retrospectively justify the actions of a few individuals, which, whilst adding nothing to current debates in the anti-fascist movement or to its collective historical record, damages the reputations of many and causes a great deal of hurt.

It was a tiny part of a well written book, quite how that makes the book redundant or having added nothing to the historical record of anti-fascism is frankly beyond me.

Response to allegations made about the late Dave Hann in Beating the Fascists: The Untold Story of Anti-Fascist Action published by Freedom Press

As such, I reject the claims made about Dave in this book. Indeed, I simply do not recognise the portrait painted of the honest man and reliable political activist with whom I shared half my adult life.

Louise Purbrick

There are no allegations made in the book, merely some statements of sad fact. Facts which I went to the trouble of checking out - despite my strong belief in the honesty of the source - because I too had difficulty believing what I was hearing and recognising Dave in the story. But they did check out. And from far too many reliable people.

Whilst he was never the General he portrayed himself as in 'No Retreat' Dave Hann was a game and trusted comrade. Unfortunately he lost the run of himself after a long period of intense pressure and behaved in a way which directly contradicted all he, and we, stood for. He made some bad personal choices - and left himself and the organisation he represented badly exposed.

Nobody was more shocked when the sordid details of his nocturnal activities emerged than us, his comrades. Action needed to be taken. That action is outlined in the book.

Whilst it is admirable that you are 'Stand(ing) By Your Man', it is my understanding that you had not even met Dave at the time of this incident. Therefore your 'case' is predicated on what you feel for Dave and what you think he was or was not capable of. We were his contemporaries in those intense days. As unpalatable as it may be for you, I have no doubt where the unfortunate truth lies.

Near the very end of the book one chapter describes the period in which their was the discussion about how to continue to 'fill the vacuum'. It states that DAM wound up due to internal diffrences.

What were those internal diffrences and what happended to those who held those political differences? I know that AFED came out of DAM but did anything else materialise? Also what happended to those individuals in DAM that were decribed as well respected in the book?

I only came across DAM members in Manchester , one of whom I knew quite well but he dropped out of politics and moved.

Near the very end of the book one chapter describes the period in which their was the discussion about how to continue to 'fill the vacuum'. It states that DAM wound up due to internal diffrences.

What were those internal diffrences and what happended to those who held those political differences? I know that AFED came out of DAM but did anything else materialise? Also what happended to those individuals in DAM that were decribed as well respected in the book?

I only came across DAM members in Manchester , one of whom I knew quite well but he dropped out of politics and moved.

DAM used to have an office/po box in Piccadilly and they for some reason had a fairly reguler wee paper sale in Crewe where they had one or twom members.
I thought it was the Solidarity federation than came from DAM? I think those from Crewe I knew stayed in and about anarchist/local/animal rights politics.

Back
Top Bottom