Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC license fee ‘to be abolished in 2027’. What will that mean?

Except that unlike with "smart" TVs and freeview boxes, you can install ad-blocking plugins to your browser, and sideload YouTube Vanced (which also enables you to listen to videos with the screen off) onto your mobile device.

You can. But the content creators are forced to comply with you tubes ‘terms and conditions of use’ or they are gone. Even plastic lefts like Novara regularly fall foul of them

Correct. As Novara media and others have been discovering of late the ‘DIY model’ has to be hosted somewhere: and the avowedly sociallly progressive neo-liberals of big tech are extremely censorious. This is where I part company with the airy demand to ‘build something better’. There isn’t a practical, scaleable way to do it without the control of big tech.
You can do it without big tech, but you need state-level money, £billions, to build and sustain such platforms. And, though older but still relevant, the physical networks like the UK's radio and TV transmission networks, which the BBC funds.

Although having said that, most of the BBC is now based on AWS, so maybe not.

It’s 43p a day. And given the battle here seems to be between the principle of public service broadcasting (rather than the BBC as is) v the alternative being fantasised by Dorres/Johnson/big tech/media it’s really not been too hard for me to pick the side I’m on.
Almost as if folk resent paying a regressive tax for another institution under Public school boy control and their overpaid entertainers.

You can. But the content creators are forced to comply with you tubes ‘terms and conditions of use’ or they are gone. Even plastic lefts like Novara regularly fall foul of them

Even given those conditions, the barrier to entry is still lower than that of broadcast TV, and the content can still be more radical than anything you're likely to see on the BBC. Creators on YouTube are also not necessarily dependent on the measly share of advertising revenue that Google doles out, thanks to donation platforms like Patreon.

Even given those conditions, the barrier to entry is still lower than that of broadcast TV, and the content can still be more radical than anything you're likely to see on the BBC. Creators on YouTube are also not necessarily dependent on the measly share of advertising revenue that Google doles out, thanks to donation platforms like Patreon.
Genuine Q: who and how many are watching?

And I ask as someone who routinely watches hours of YouTube a day.

At least on youtube everyone has a voice. Yes it doesn't compete with high budget productions, but then again whose voices do they tend to be?

Almost as if folk resent paying a regressive tax for another institution under Public school boy control and their overpaid entertainers.

I expect they do. But, that doesn’t mean they are right. As I’ve said up thread if you don’t think that the concept of public service broadcasting worth defending - rather than the BBC as is - then we aren’t going to agree

I think its great news. Fuck off BBC you wont be missed. I dont pay currently and I def wont once its subscription.

I expect they do. But, that doesn’t mean they are right. As I’ve said up thread if you don’t think that the concept of public service broadcasting worth defending - rather than the BBC as is - then we aren’t going to agree
I don't think it'll go though. It's the closest a neoliberal society has to a state broadcast mouthpiece. Just look at the kid gloves with Andrew. He basically hung himself!

Genuine Q: who and how many are watching?

And I ask as someone who routinely watches hours of YouTube a day.

The political channels I'm subbed to include (in no particular order, I just went through the list of channels on the left of the YouTube main page and picked them out):

Chapo Trap House
The Serfs
the bread is rising (alt channel The Serfs set up when they were temp banned)
Hakim
NonCompete
donoteat01
hbomberguy
Shaun
Jim Sterling (gaming focused but very political about it)
Adam Something (my most recent addition IIRC)
ContraPoints
Three Arrows
Angie Speaks
Philosophy Tube

I think that's the lot. Not sure what the total viewership of all that would be, I'm sure there's some overlap but I have no idea how much. Feel free to check out the links and check for yourself how many subscribers and views they have if you fancy having a go at making an estimate yourself.

My son mostly watches youtube. Whatever games / toys / movies he's interested in he goes there first for additional viewing. Which makes sense as simply turning on the TV won't do any of that.

The political channels I'm subbed to include (in no particular order, I just went through the list of channels on the left of the YouTube main page and picked them out):

Chapo Trap House
The Serfs
the bread is rising (alt channel The Serfs set up when they were temp banned)
Hakim
NonCompete
donoteat01
hbomberguy
Shaun
Jim Sterling (gaming focused but very political about it)
Adam Something (my most recent addition IIRC)
ContraPoints
Three Arrows
Angie Speaks
Philosophy Tube

I think that's the lot. Not sure what the total viewership of all that would be, I'm sure there's some overlap but I have no idea how much. Feel free to check out the links and check for yourself how many subscribers and views they have if you fancy having a go at making an estimate yourself.
I recognise some of them, others not.

I'll, um, I'll get round to it....

;)

If the bbc stopped existing tomorrow I’d be fine, it’s just that i don’t think that’s the point, the idea that the people who rely on it will start watching radical stuff on youtube instead is just nuts. If the bbc had disappeared last year GBNews would have done well out if & maybe the Disney channel or whatever is out there for kids idk, not your favourite niche youtube channel.

Feel bad for all the thousands of workers who's jobs will be in jeopardy. The majority who don't work in front of a camera, or make policy decisions. The drivers, the security, the post rooms, the kitchen staff, the porters, the cleaners, the IT staff, the production assistants, etc.

It's an easy target, the BBC. And in many cases, deservedly so. But it will be sad to see it sink, all the same.

I don't give much of a shit about it tbh. The BBC licence setup is anachronistic given the reality of broadcast being replaced by on demand, and the Tory obsession with threatening it is largely just a case of streamlining existing systems.

If the bbc stopped existing tomorrow I’d be fine, it’s just that i don’t think that’s the point, the idea that the people who rely on it will start watching radical stuff on youtube instead is just nuts. If the bbc had disappeared last year GBNews would have done well out if & maybe the Disney channel or whatever is out there for kids idk, not your favourite niche youtube channel.
“Rely on it”?

Feel bad for all the thousands of workers who's jobs will be in jeopardy. The majority who don't work in front of a camera, or make policy decisions. The drivers, the security, the post rooms, the kitchen staff, the porters, the cleaners, the IT staff, the production assistants, etc.
What I said aside, you're the first on the thread to mention jobs so props to you.

FYI as far as I'm aware only two of the roles you listed are employed directly by the BBC, so I guess you can add at least a few thousand to the official headcount of 22k.

We'll see who loses theirs in the next cuts announcements in a few months I guess. Last time it was mostly local journalists.

What I said aside, you're the first on the thread to mention jobs so props to you.

FYI as far as I'm aware only two of the roles you listed are employed directly by the BBC, so I guess you can add at least a few thousand to the official headcount of 22k.

We'll see who loses theirs in the next cuts announcements in a few months I guess.

Librarians. Forgot the librarians. And designers. And researchers.

Back
Top Bottom