BBC guidance on swearing, nudity etc

JuanTwoThree

Anecdotage
R.I.P.
"Language WL – Language may offend
L1 - Some strong language
L2 - Strong language
L3 - Very strong language

Executive Producers should read the BBC Editorial Guidelines and accompanying Language Guidance for more detailed advice on strong language: Section 5: Harm and Offence - Guidelines

Use of the strongest language - ‘fuck’ (and its derivatives), ‘motherfucker’ or ‘cunt’ – is a mandatory referral to the relevant output Controller. Use of the word ‘cunt’ is a mandatory referral to Director, BBC Vision. If approved by the relevant output Controller, one or two uses of ‘fuck’ should be labelled as “Some strong language” (L1). More frequent usage should be labelled “Strong language” (L2). Any use of ‘motherfucker’ or ‘cunt’ should be labelled “Very strong language” (L3)."

From

So more than two fucks and it goes up a notch. Interesting to see that BBC bureaucracy has everything covered.

"Everything on this record has been designed to meet the exacting standards which you have naturally come to expect....There is little or no offensive material, apart from four cunts, one clitoris, and a foreskin. And, as they only occur in this opening introduction, you're past them now."

I have no idea - Its "Scared by a donkey" that intrigues me most..! :eek:
There used to be a trope that if a mother was alarmed by something during pregnancy this would have a transformative effect on the foetus, which would take on physical characteristics of whatever scared the mother. I’m guessing the donkey thing is a reference to “hung like a donkey”? But that’s me using my nowadays brain to understand antique prudery.

I like it that many on the right are so annoyed by trigger warnings. They really need trigger warnings for them.

How things have changed since the days of the "Green Book"

:D

some of the 1950s radio comedy shows used to make an effort to get stuff past the BBC management

they probably didn't understand the polari (gay slang) used by 'julian and sandy' in round the horne

the goon show also got a fair amount of stuff through - including an occasional character 'hugh jympton' or 'jampton' ('hampton' being the spoken part of rhyming slang 'hampton wick')

Back
Top Bottom