Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Baby Reindeer (Netflix)

They're not going to tho, are they? And it isn't really surprising, there were (seemingly) a lot of details included which make it seem quite easy to find the villains of the story. Any issue with that is down to Netflix tho, not Gadd. It's on them to make sure that the details are sufficiently blurred so that no one is identifiable.

Yeah, there’s certainly a greater need for responsibility when you’re operating at Netflix’s scale than when you’re writing a one person show for Edinburgh. But it’s another reason not to warm to Gadd.

Very interesting to compare with I May Destroy You, as well, Michaela Cole's series about her sexual abuse. Not least because in both cases, they went back and worked with their rapist!

I was confused by this part. On one hand I thought it was well done, in that it showed that situations are complex and confusing and that neat endings don't exist. On the other hand, the narrative ended really abruptly... he went back and worked with the rapist. The end. Maybe that's just the way it happened but I wanted to know what happened and how this impacted on the main character.

This was a problem with him playing himself wasn't it? He's basically too old to be playing himself 10 years ago - it would have been different if Donny was played by a 24 year old actor.

Absolutely - but they could have just cast a woman significantly older, and state her age as 50s, rather than cast a woman in her 30s to play someone aged 42 (her age was mentioned in the show), which is clearly not much older than the actor. Or take out the age references, really - it's not like her age was the real problem.

I was confused by this part. On one hand I thought it was well done, in that it showed that situations are complex and confusing and that neat endings don't exist. On the other hand, the narrative ended really abruptly... he went back and worked with the rapist. The end. Maybe that's just the way it happened but I wanted to know what happened and how this impacted on the main character.
I don't think he did end up working with his rapist. I think he went there to confront him but couldn't.

It definitely reminded me of I May Destroy You . Probably subject matter and both incredibly written and autobiographical.

Or, Netflix and Gadd really should have been more careful about disguising the identity of a real and troubled person.

We watched the whole thing and it’s reasonably gripping and well acted, but I prefer my unreliable narrators to be backed up by a trustworthy author.

Apparently all they changed was her name and age - she was made younger for the show, presumably due to the actress they cast. They didn't change her job, that she was struck off as a lawyer, that she's Scottish, where she lives in London, or the detail about her curtains. So stalkers who completely missed the point of the show stalked her, and didn't have to go further than searching tweets @ing him in the right time period. It does seem like they've found her.

There's no delicious irony in the stalker being stalked, it's simple gleeful cruelty.

I'm not sure if her actually being found for sure is better or worse than every older man Gadd's ever worked with now being accused of being a rapist.

The story was worth telling but telling it in a way that puts people in danger is not the way to do it.

I don't think he did end up working with his rapist. I think he went there to confront him but couldn't.

It definitely reminded me of I May Destroy You . Probably subject matter and both incredibly written and autobiographical.
oh, yeah, for sure. I also thought that. I also thought one of the main reasons it was made was on the back of the success of "I May Destroy You". They might have struggled a lot more to get funding, I think, if "I May Destroy You" hadn't opened the doors for a frank discussion of sexual assault and modern sexual behaviour.

Apparently all they changed was her name and age - she was made younger for the show, presumably due to the actress they cast. They didn't change her job, that she was struck off as a lawyer, that she's Scottish, where she lives in London, or the detail about her curtains. So stalkers who completely missed the point of the show stalked her, and didn't have to go further than searching tweets @ing him in the right time period. It does seem like they've found her.

There's no delicious irony in the stalker being stalked, it's simple gleeful cruelty.

I'm not sure if her actually being found for sure is better or worse than every older man Gadd's ever worked with now being accused of being a rapist.

The story was worth telling but telling it in a way that puts people in danger is not the way to do it.
That's what's struck me, people calling them Internet slueths, the word is stalkers. Internet stalkers. Kind of surprising they didn't check themselves that links couldn't be made,netlfix that is. Giving Gadd the benefit of the doubt, I wonder if he has been misadvised about the likelyhood of his stalker being discovered.

Still a great series and worth telling, mistakes have been made though it seems if the real stalker has been found, but then is it the weird Internet stalkers that are to blame or the story teller?

I suspect that these weirdo cyberstalkers/armchair detectives wouldn’t have found it that difficult to trace both Gadd’s stalker and assaulter, just from Gadd’s name and other details that were already in the public domain, so the obscuring or changing of certain details in the tv show was probably to no avail.

I suspect that these weirdo cyberstalkers/armchair detectives wouldn’t have found it that difficult to trace both Gadd’s stalker and assaulter, just from Gadd’s name and other details that were already in the public domain, so the obscuring or changing of certain details in the tv show was probably to no avail.
That's a good point. It's not like he hasn't done an show about it already. I guess it's the Netflix factor that increases the reach to those armchair saddos that aren't going to fringe shows 🤷

It's also perfectly possible that "Martha" has been contacted to advise her that this programme is coming out and while they may have found her old name/socials, she could well be a completely different person by now and totally safe from actual contact from these armchair freaks

She as never prosecuted for acts against him though, so shouldn't really be traceable via publicly available information. I'm sure you are right about the rapist, although it seems to be people naming almost random people about the right age from the little I've seen.

I think I read somewhere that he did actually work with him. Not that that would be why he went there in the first place. I'd suspect it was for, not exactly a confrontation, but certainly to 'have it out' and to see what would happen. It is (or certainly was in the case of IMDY) a way of regaining control over he situation, putting himself into a position where he could be the one to decide.

Still seems weird though.

She as never prosecuted for acts against him though, so shouldn't really be traceable via publicly available information. I'm sure you are right about the rapist, although it seems to be people naming almost random people about the right age from the little I've seen.
scifisam suggested upthread that people may have found the stalker just by trawling through Twitter though

It's also perfectly possible that "Martha" has been contacted to advise her that this programme is coming out and while they may have found her old name/socials, she could well be a completely different person by now and totally safe from actual contact from these armchair freaks

No, the woman who has been identified has a live, current and nutty Facebook account.

scifisam suggested upthread that people may have found the stalker just by trawling through Twitter though

They did, apparently. I'm not going to look at the stuff myself. But yeah, it was just "this woman who has these exact characteristics and posted the exact same text about the curtains was @ing Gadd at the time he was being stalked." Not exactly a deep dive.

Still a great series and worth telling, mistakes have been made though it seems if the real stalker has been found, but then is it the weird Internet stalkers that are to blame or the story teller?
In this case, the former 100% IMO. Even the morally bankrupt gutter press hadn’t (in the intervening time at least) attempted to score a scoop by exposing the stalker’s real identity and seemed to have taken onboard the creator’s numerous statements and interviews in which he neither wished for her to be identified nor harboured any animosity towards her.

Some of the rags have gone on to report on the findings or more appropriately guesses of such social media parasites, which is highly disappointing if not unexpected. But if no stupid member of public cunts had embarked on such quests, the anonymity of the real life people would have been safe.

People who gossip or publish such information on their socials are every bit as irresponsible and hideous as someone who films the gory aftermath of a car crash or graphic images of bodies after a bombing or serial killer shooting spree and posts it, and should be treated as such by their community and employers.

I'm surprised if she has been found through tweets that he didnt think to and solicitors and such didn't advise him ahead of time to delete anything that would lead folk back to her. That seems incredibly naive.

Possibly less harrowing. :D

Mrs V is big on that stuff too. Listens to podcasts while out walking.

Typical conversation in our house will go -

Me: "Fucking hell. You heard this about this Aussie mushroom poisoning thing?"

Her: "The case hinges on a plethora of essentially circumstantial, but compelling, evidence. Are we to believe that the mushrooms were removed to ensure the immediate family survived or was it merely a matter of culinary taste? The defendant did, after all, hospitalise herself ... but ... and it's a big but, why did the defendant then dispose of the airfryer? Are these the actions of an innocent woman ... or those of a calculated poisoner killing with malice aforethought?

Me: "Ah. You've heard about it, then?"

Her: "I have. The differences between the Australian and UK (and indeed US) justice systems pose interesting questions that may well influence the verdict ..."

(...continues ...)
At the risk of derailing the thread. That mushroom thing is bonkers though. She was supposedly a keen forager so nothing was stopping her from eating something she knew would make her feel ropey enough to look convincing at a+e but not not death caps because liver failure is not a painless sort of thing.
I can't wait to find out the detail of the other attempted murder charges since she supposedly tried to murder her husband before but they aren't giving details before the trial afaik.
I'm not a fan of real crime stuff but occasionally there's a story in the news that just pulls me in and that very much is one of those.

At the risk of derailing the thread. That mushroom thing is bonkers though. She was supposedly a keen forager so nothing was stopping her from eating something she knew would make her feel ropey enough to look convincing at a+e but not not death caps because liver failure is not a painless sort of thing.
I can't wait to find out the detail of the other attempted murder charges since she supposedly tried to murder her husband before but they aren't giving details before the trial afaik.
I'm not a fan of real crime stuff but occasionally there's a story in the news that just pulls me in and that very much is one of those.
It is proper nuts. And there's undoubtedly an incredible Netflix documentary in it.

Absolutely - but they could have just cast a woman significantly older, and state her age as 50s, rather than cast a woman in her 30s to play someone aged 42 (her age was mentioned in the show), which is clearly not much older than the actor. Or take out the age references, really - it's not like her age was the real problem.
She is so good in it though (so many miles from the character she played in the outlaws).
I think casting him was possibly not the best choice.

I haven't watched it yet but I saw a thread on twitter which is mentioned in this account that he had a problematic approach to a young trans woman whom he didn't cast in the drama but whom he wanted to date

The Twitter thread Raeside cites is very interesting reading:

Have read all about this tv show, but will probably never get round to actually watching it :oops:

Yes I agree. I also wonder whether his one man show / this Netflix series are just another manifestation of his bizarre desire to perpetuate the situation.

It's been an incredible series but it's certainly ended up being problematic, to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom