Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Assange to face extradition

what I think - reading the headline the extradition is already going ahead, unless a higher court in the land can halt the process.
I think Assange should have relocated to Russia like Snowden. Whereas now I fear Assange will die in a US jail for telling the unspeakable truth that war gets innocent people killed.
I've rarely read anything so fuckwitted. It's like the deaths of innocents wrongly targeted or as 'collateral damage' were only known about through assange's work. Whereas the deaths of civilians in both Iraq and Afghanistan were widely reported from the get-go. USAF bombings of wedding parties became notorious, for example. Yeh if I was julian assange the future wouldn't look so rosy. But he's not some sort of left-wing hero. Lwh's don't work to engineer fascists' election, do they

I mean, there's this for a start:
The rape allegation against Julian Assange, explained
And then also his shitty politics:
Julian Assange - Also neoliberal utopian

Julian Assange’s Hatred of Hillary Clinton Was No Secret. His Advice to Donald Trump Was.

Regarding my banishment from the Courage Foundation at the behest of Julian Assange
Julian Assange Went After a Former Ally. It Backfired Epically.

Sure there's more I could dig up with a bit more effort but that's enough for a starter.

Actually, that Barrett Brown statement (from a guy who actually spent 2012-2016 in prison on charges directly related to wikileaks/journo-related activity, with like a tiny tiny proportion of the publicity and support Assange has received) is good and short enough to be worth quoting in full:
Yeah, he’s an untrustworthy twat. But that is separate from the fact that the us state wants him for exposing some of their murderous activities. Solidarity isn’t only given to people we think are nice, or it’s not really solidarity.

Yeah, he’s an untrustworthy twat. But that is separate from the fact that the us state wants him for exposing some of their murderous activities. Solidarity isn’t only given to people we think are nice, or it’s not really solidarity.
Yeah, I wouldn't really disagree with that, but the context of that post was someone asking "what is it about Assange that makes him so hated?", if they'd been asking "should Assange, who is undoubtedly a twat, be supported in the context of the espionage charges?" I'd have answered differently.

Although since the subject has come up, I will freely admit to being a bit bitter that Assange seems to get so much more attention and support compared to the cases of people like Brown, Hammond, Winner or Hale. (Leaving Manning off that list since she does seem to get at least a vaguely comparable amount of attention?) Admittedly, there is an argument to be made that people in the UK should pay more attention to the Assange case since "our" state is involved, but on the other hand, comparing it to the cases of Wootton, McConville, Bassalat, or recent events in Bristol, it does seem like UK-held prisoners who aren't Trump-assisting twats do tend to get less support as well?

there are two aspects to the documents for which the americans seek assange's extradition. on the one hand are the release of army documents, some of which expose the killings of civilians. on the other hand there are the documents which expose how the american government saw their allies. it is i think the embarrassment caused by the latter which has really caused the united states government to go after assange. after all, the americans' murderous activities have been well covered by journalists for many years and if you followed the news at all you'd have had to bury your head in the sand not to know about massacres in afganistan and iraq.

but i don't offer solidarity to assange. i don't think he deserves it. i think that the left which supports him supports him on the facile basis that he's seen as the enemy of american imperialism. i don't believe he is. the left which supports him seems to me to be largely the left that supported or lionised shayler. but shayler wasn't some civil liberties critic of the secret state. he was provoked by mi5's lack of efficiency.

i agree solidarity shouldn't be only given to people we think are nice. but it shouldn't be spread to people who are allied with the most reactionary elements. it should be offered on the basis of progressive struggle and ideas. and when someone allies themselves with trump and farage it's very very hard to see why they should be offered solidarity, which prevents that same solidarity (by nature of the time and resources involved) being offered to someone who actually deserves support.

you'd have had to bury your head in the sand not to know about massacres in afganistan and iraq.
Assange cultists have spent the last 10 years doing this to cover for Assad, Iran and Russia. And sometimes just brazenly cheering on the carnage.

Richard Boyd Barrett: It was very annoying to hear Deputy Micheál Martin saying, obviously with a sideswipe at the left, that people were not jumping up and down about the Russians in Syria. Some of us were. I did not notice Deputy Martin on the marches to the Russian embassy. We were there.

Mick Wallace: We were not.

Clare Daly: We were not.

Mick Wallace: And we will not be.

What ramifications?
A very brief bit of digging turns this up:
Justice Department officials did not explain why they decided to charge Mr. Assange under the Espionage Act — a step also debated within the Obama administration but ultimately not taken. Although the indictment could establish a precedent that deems actions related to obtaining, and in some cases publishing, state secrets to be criminal, the officials sought to minimize the implications for press freedoms...

For the purposes of press freedoms, what matters is not who counts as a journalist, but whether journalistic activities — whether performed by a “journalist” or anyone else — can be crimes in America. The Trump administration’s move could establish a precedent used to criminalize future acts of national-security journalism, said Jameel Jaffer of the Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University.

“The charges rely almost entirely on conduct that investigative journalists engage in every day,” he said. “The indictment should be understood as a frontal attack on press freedom.”

Mr. Demers left the press briefing without taking questions. And a Justice Department official who stayed behind to answer questions on the condition that he would not be named would not address any about how most of the basic actions the indictment deemed felonies by Mr. Assange differed in a legally meaningful way from ordinary national-security investigative journalism — encouraging sources to provide secret information of news value, obtaining it without the government’s permission and then publishing portions of it.

Notably, The New York Times, among many other news organizations, obtained precisely the same archives of documents from WikiLeaks, without authorization from the government — the act that most of the charges addressed. While The Times did take steps to withhold the names of informants in the subset of the files it published, it is not clear how that is legally different from publishing other classified information.
While (as mentioned above) I don't have much sympathy for the man himself, it does sound like the espionage charges for publishing do indeed have some pretty dodgy implications?

While (as mentioned above) I don't have much sympathy for the man himself, it does sound like the espionage charges for publishing do indeed have some pretty dodgy implications?
Indeed. I don’t have any sympathy with his views, many of his actions, or the fact that he ran from a rape charge, but it doesn’t mean we should be relaxed about the US extraditing people.

No maybe not, but in terms of battles to pick when there's so much going on that's impacting people's lives every day I can't summon up one atom of concern about this tbh.

Also, why does his support seem to be comprised of total fucking fruitcakes?

Indeed. I don’t have any sympathy with his views, many of his actions, or the fact that he ran from a rape charge, but it doesn’t mean we should be relaxed about the US extraditing people.
so would you support a campaign to renegotiate the 2003 treaty which currently governs extradition from the uk to us?

Also, why does his support seem to be comprised of total fucking fruitcakes?
I know the guardian is crap,but total fucking fruitcake is ott. Ditto the Society of Editors, Ai Weiwei, Tulsa Gabbard, Edward Snowden, Rafael Correa and a whole shitload more.

If the fuckwits show up more in your timeline, perhaps the issues with said timeline.

Precisely the ramifications I was referring to. But apparently it's 'not important'.

I know the guardian is crap,but total fucking fruitcake is ott. Ditto the Society of Editors, Ai Weiwei, Tulsa Gabbard, Edward Snowden, Rafael Correa and a whole shitload more.

If the fuckwits show up more in your timeline, perhaps the issues with said timeline.

Not sure your list convinces me much tbh! I don't have any sort of timeline. But he doesn't seem to have any people with decent politics supporting him does he? It's liberals at The Guardian or similar, minor washed-up celebrities, or conspiracy/Anonymous types.

Last edited:
I don't have any sort of timeline. But he doesn't seem to have any people with decent politics supporting him does he? It's liberals at The Guardian or similar, minor washed-up celebrities, or conspiracy/Anonymous types.
I dont particularly mean 'your' as in LDC's, but I get told off if I say 'one'

The Society of Editors aren't liberals by any means, they're about the rights of journalists. Which is why the NUJ support him too. Rafael Correa isn't any of the things you say, or the other people I mentioned. He gets (critical) support from the large majority of the british left (although that does include wanky stalinists, of course).

Whose support do you want for him? Cos his vocal opponents are much bigger wankers.

Whose support do you want for him? Cos his vocal opponents are much bigger wankers.

None really, I think he's completely irrelevant to any important politics or political struggle tbh. I was just musing on why his support (fair enough with your people, I guess I was thinking the ones I see 'on the ground' or in the media) seems to consist of people that I wouldn't want anything to do with. Bet there's a nice anti-vax/Assange support crossover tbh.

I dont particularly mean 'your' as in LDC's, but I get told off if I say 'one'

The Society of Editors aren't liberals by any means, they're about the rights of journalists. Which is why the NUJ support him too. Rafael Correa isn't any of the things you say, or the other people I mentioned. He gets (critical) support from the large majority of the british left (although that does include wanky stalinists, of course).

Tbh, my impression is that while there might be all sorts of people who vaguely support him and think the charges should be dropped, for whatever that's worth, the people who are actually motivated to campaign on the issue, organise Free Assange events and so on are very much at the fruitcakey end of things. Oh, crossposted with LDC saying pretty much the same thing.

Thinking about it, is Free Assange stuff the only time anyone's seen the WSWS/SEP lot actually organise an event, or at least have a really visible presence? I must have been at loads of things over the years where someone from the WSWS has come up and given me a closely-typed double-sided A4 leaflet denouncing the leadership of whatever the demo's about, but I don't think I've ever actually seen them with big signs like that.

Thinking about it, is Free Assange stuff the only time anyone's seen the WSWS/SEP lot actually organise an event, or at least have a really visible presence? I must have been at loads of things over the years where someone from the WSWS has come up and given me a closely-typed double-sided A4 leaflet denouncing the leadership of whatever the demo's about, but I don't think I've ever actually seen them with big signs like that.
it's not the first outing for those signs

I'd prefer that this discussion was taking place in a Swedish context, after he'd faced a Swedish court and been found guilty or not guilty over there.

Given that's not where we are, I'm conflicted. Assange is horrible, as a person and with his 'guru' status for some on the 'left'. He's the author of his own misfortune in a number of ways. Having said that, there's a bit of me that has an intake of breath at the idea of anyone spending decades in a supermax prison. Maybe he should just go on the list of people who have been screwed by the American justice system, not on a list of martyrs or superheroes. If he'd had a bit less of a messianic self image, I doubt he'd be where he is now.

Narcissist sex pest locked up. Some of his organisations post embarrassed the USA and us, not sure they told us anything we didn't know as has been pointed out. Some leaks cost people working against authoritarian regimes their lives. He won't see inside Supermax Florence much less a death chamber despite what some pearl clutchers are claiming.

I'd prefer that this discussion was taking place in a Swedish context, after he'd faced a Swedish court and been found guilty or not guilty over there.

Given that's not where we are, I'm conflicted. Assange is horrible, as a person and with his 'guru' status for some on the 'left'. He's the author of his own misfortune in a number of ways. Having said that, there's a bit of me that has an intake of breath at the idea of anyone spending decades in a supermax prison. Maybe he should just go on the list of people who have been screwed by the American justice system, not on a list of martyrs or superheroes. If he'd had a bit less of a messianic self image, I doubt he'd be where he is now.
I think it is part of the extradition deal that he won't spend time in a supermax. If he's convicted, he will serve his sentence in Australia.

Back
Top Bottom