Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Assange to face extradition

I see that, but if Ecuador's government itself refuses him asylum, they can't blame the UK. If they grant him asylum and then the UK moves their embassy to get JA, then they can cry about it to Chavez.
No, go back back back - granting him asylum changes nothing. Granting him asylum doesn't mean they are allowed take him out of the country. It doesn't mean the EU extradition doesn't apply to him. Granting asylum would be the playing the colonialism card knowing that it means nothing legally. They would need to make him a citizen then a diplomat to change things - which they are not doing to do and have no interest in doing. You know that sabre-rattling is only a sound right?

But if they refuse him asylum now, how will it look after they've talked about colonialism?[/quo
I see that, but if Ecuador's government itself refuses him asylum, they can't blame the UK. If they grant him asylum and then the UK moves their embassy to get JA, then they can cry about it to Chavez.

Ecuador might paint themselves as victims by saying they wanted to offer asylum to Assange but the evil British colonists threatened to storm the building if they did.

No, go back back back - granting him asylum changes nothing. Granting him asylum doesn't mean they are allowed take him out of the country. It doesn't mean the EU extradition doesn't apply to him. Granting asylum would be the playing the colonialism card knowing that it means nothing legally. They would need to make him a citizen then a diplomat to change things - which they are not doing to do and have no interest in doing. You know that sabre-rattling is only a sound right?

He can't be an Ecuadorian diplomat unless the appointment is approved by the FCO. I read that in the Guardian so it's at least 50% likely to be correct.

He can't be an Ecuadorian diplomat unless the appointment is approved by the FCO. I read that in the Guardian so it's at least 50% likely to be correct.
I suspected something like that may be the case and almost suggested it the other day - i couldn't find anything to back it up on-line though.

Of course, what's being missed in this is Patiño's party leadership establishing role. Classic rotton old latin-american ruling elite political trick.

Both met and 10 Downing street websites have been DDos'ed? :hmm:
That was late last night.....from around midnight until the early morning. Can't think why they don't do it at a time when people are actually using/looking at those sites, rather than in the middle of the night.

hell no, he has been living in a cardboard box, under a table in the Equadorean embassy for two months.

I read the paper today,he was on a blow up mattress for a bit, now he has a proper bed.

The thing is, I think the charge of (is it?) sexual misconduct is actually quite forward thinking and I generally approve of it in my feminist ways, however the charge does look political, like Sweden have been leaned on by America. So really, I don't mind what happens, although Assange living in the embassy for years is fully not my preference. Just, face the music, man.

Why would Sweden have been 'leaned on' by America?

He's had allegations made against him that he has to face as part of Swedish law. Same if he was Joe Bloggs.

Really? Everyone Swedish who's had allegations of sexual misconduct (is that what it is, can't keep up) gets pursued to other countries?

Really? Everyone Swedish who's had allegations of sexual misconduct (is that what it is, can't keep up) gets pursued to other countries?

Criminals who are suspected of evading the law and escaping to fellow EU countries get international arrest warrants all the time, yes. Did you think he was a special case or something?

I wonder whether it's a relatively minor crime he's accused of. Sweden isn't *that* feminist. Hence I suspect they were mildly leaned on.

Most of them don't run away to other countries. But the issue of European Arrest Warrants for crimes far less serious than sexual assault is far from uncommon.

EAWs have been sought for such offences as bicycle theft, possession of 0.45 grams of cannabis, removing car tyres and stealing piglets. More than 2,400 requests were received by the UK from Poland last year.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/butte...un/09/meps-criticise-european-arrest-warrants

Criminals who are suspected of evading the law and escaping to fellow EU countries get international arrest warrants all the time, yes. Did you think he was a special case or something?
No, this is definitely a special case. The lawyer who got the prosecution re-opened is probably the top feminist legal figure in Sweden. Getting Assange has become a matter of making a point. Doubt the US has needed to formally lean on anyone.

No, this is definitely a special case. The lawyer who got the prosecution re-opened is probably the top feminist legal figure in Sweden. Getting Assange has become a matter of making a point. Doubt the US has needed to formally lean on anyone.

Encouraging prosecutions isn't too much of a problem in Sweden, getting convictions is. Unless I'm way of date?? My point is that Assange has about 90% chance of being acquitted in Sweden, if it even gets as far as prosecution.

There is effort put into encouraging reporting rape, and prosecuting it. That's why there's such a low clear up rate, since convictions are indeed hard to secure. Probablyone reason Borgström is so committed to the case.

assange will probably be acquitted.

Even more reason for him to go and face the charges imo. If he gets convicted against the odds, especially if any evidence is "thin", it would lend credibility to his cause.

But he's doing his utmost to avoid it.

Quite aside from the specifics of this case, there are two more general issues here that deserve consideration.

The first is the European Arrest Warrant. I'm a pretty pro-European person, but the EAW is horrible. There are next to no common standards applied to what sort of crimes justify the issuance of a EAW, and no burden of evidence is required to arrest someone. In the current case, Assange has not been charged because, as many have pointed out, he needs to be questioned on Swedish soil before he can be charged. That's exactly the sort of thing that shouldn't be permitted under an EAW. There should be a formal recognition that the prosecuting party must present enough evidence to demonstrate the feasibility of their case, and the extradition should not occur unless charges have been laid. If that requires signatories to the EAW pact to change some laws back home, permitting them to interview suspects abroad, then so be it. It is not right that residents in a country can be more easily arrested by prosecutors from another country than their own.

The second issue relates to the first, in that both Sweden and the UK have agreed to lopsided extradition treaties with the USA. More than that, both countries have taken part in rendition of people who subsequently have been tortured, held without trial, etc. Well guess what? You reap what you sow. Many of us were making the point that by allowing these things to happen, countries like the UK and Sweden undermine the trust that people have in their legal systems. Arguing about whether or not the USA intends to apply for Assange's extradition, and whether or not Sweden is likely to agree to it, is missing the point. Sweden and the UK first need to rewrite their extradition treaties with the USA on more equal terms, and display genuine contrition for their appalling role in the rendition operations.

Back
Top Bottom