Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Assange to face extradition

So...there is no failsafe way for him to leave the Ecuadorian Embassy and travel to Ecuador without arrest?

Bit of a stalemate for him then.
Well, there's always this option...

movie_41948.jpg

Oh wait, Assange might wanna be careful with that one...

So...there is no failsafe way for him to leave the Ecuadorian Embassy and travel to Ecuador without arrest?
That really depends on how much effort the Ecuadorian government are willing to put into it. The police can not stop and search a car with diplomatic plates and all embassies have vans in the fleet. All also can send diplomatic baggage without interference.

What will happen is, the UK and Ecuadorian foreign offices will sit down and cobble together something, one thing is for sure, if diplomats have anything to do with solving this situation it will cost 5 times more than it should and Assange will go around the world 3 or 4 times before ending up in Peru, sometime in 2016

This is true, but it would be a bit mental to seek to escape from a country that goes after journalists who embarass it politically by running off to Moscow.

His television show on RT was probably as close as he will get to Russia, and that was bad enough since there is something shabby about stooping to indulge the Russians in their classic propaganda tactic of giving the enemy of their enemy a platform. I suppose there is a dilemma if there is only a choice between that platform and no comparable platform at all, but personally I dont think its worth the taint. Mind you Assange is pretty careless when it comes to avoiding being tainted so it was hardly a shock when he went to that channel back in the day.

That really depends on how much effort the Ecuadorian government are willing to put into it. The police can not stop and search a car with diplomatic plates and all embassies have vans in the fleet. All also can send diplomatic baggage without interference.

What will happen is, the UK and Ecuadorian foreign offices will sit down and cobble together something, one thing is for sure, if diplomats have anything to do with solving this situation it will cost 5 times more than it should and Assange will go around the world 3 or 4 times before ending up in Peru, sometime in 2016

The police can and do stop diplomatic vehicles, so it would be doubtful that they could (or would, given that it would lead to their diplomats being kicked out) sneak him out that way.

The police can and do stop diplomatic vehicles, so it would be doubtful that they could (or would, given that it would lead to their diplomats being kicked out) sneak him out that way.

I'm sure they do, they have every right to stop any vehicle for a lawful reason, as long as it does not result in the detention or arrest of someone with Diplomatic immunity. They are also not allowed to search any vehicle with Diplomatic plates.

But what about getting from the diplomatic car onto the plane? Would there be any unprotected window of opportunity then?

could he not be placed in a sealed diplomatic box that the authorities would not be able to open even though they would know he is in it as diplomatic baggage is not checked?

Looks like he ain't even safe within the embassy's compound...
I read elsewhere today that they could do similar if they believed he was in a vehicle. Apparently diplomatic plates remain the property of the country that issues them, in this case the UK. The government can revoke the plate thus making the car unlicensed and searchable by police and others.

I'm not sure they would go that far for Assange, this is meant to cover terrorist threats if I understood the context. I would think the act you quote above is a result of Yvonne Fletcher and the Libyans.

Maybe repeat info but some tweets/links being shared at the mo:

#BREAKING: Ecuador says it received 'threats' from UK as Assange decision looms http://on.rt.com/mqy04a #news
# Increased police activity outside Ecuador embassy: http://via.me/-437c324
#Copy of UK threat letter to Ecuadorian government: http://tinyurl.com/btcwuf8
#Anonymous on twitter: EMERGENCY CALL TO ARMS: All Anons get to the Ecuador Embassy NOW! We need streamers there asap! | Ecuadorian Embassy 3 Hans Crescent | #SOS
#ALERT: Get ready go all out on #Assange asylum decision tomorrow, 7am Ecuadorian time (1pm London time). http://www.twitlonger.com/show/iqiqhr

This sums up the diplomatic and consular premises Act (lawgazette.co.uk)

It seems to come down to this phrase "to remove diplomatic status from premises which are being misused". Is it being misused or is one of the functions of an embassy to provide asylum?

I wonder if this has any implications for our own embassies abroad.

If you mean the law being talked about, then I think no. It may highlight this legislation and some government may pass reciprocal laws (Brazil does this a lot, if a government puts restrictions on its citizens or companies, Brazil will do the same with regard to that country).

It seems to me that it is a sledge-hammer to crack a nut, if they were to use this legislation. That letter if real doesn't seem very diplomatic ;)

That live stream above is funny, some guys tried to deliver a pizza and was turned away, he then went back and was invited in :) LOL

Back
Top Bottom