Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Assange to face extradition

Interesting.

I dont remember many early objections to wikileaks on here. Not doubting it, but links would be appreciated.

I also dont recall much anti assange press, prior to the cables/assault, either. The articles I remember described him as secretive, elusive, shy and an oddball.
Objections on what basis? Regarding their publications? You probably won't. Of the cult of assange and the heroisation of the whole thing? You will.

Why would they be appreciated? To point out that people were wrong? Or to highlight that as it evolved the real motivation became clearer?

if stuff isn't know then you can't blame people for not mentioning it.

Im not interested in pointing out anyone was wrong. I just dont recall these criticisms being mentioned before, as elbows suggested they were. That wouldnt make them anyless valid now.

Im not interested in pointing out anyone was wrong. I just dont recall these criticisms being mentioned before, as elbows suggested they were. That wouldnt make them anyless valid now.
Which criticisms? The ones i mentioned were - just search for wikileaks. They are there fromthe start.

What news model? A model of private ownership hidden behind PR about openness and democracy? Sure they were. They were there from when wikileaks first got proper international attention. It's there is you just look for wikileaks or assange.

Im not going to pretend I was criticising wikileaks from day one, because I wasn't. My main interest was in the leaks themselves. However, every time Assange opened his gob I started to get more and more alarmed about his attitude towards information and his control over it. I ranted about how the name wikileaks was completely inappropriate, as its not a wiki. Then it became clear he didn't know how to partner with media entities without his ego and financial desires getting in the way.

But I will say that when I look at the timescales, the sex allegations and media fallout and the most sensitive leaks all happened within a very narrow timeframe, so I doubt there is enough space between events for me to claim that I saw all this coming.

In any case what was very telling was that a number of people involved with wikileaks got pissed off with all the mistakes being made, and split, although I don't think their efforts have gone anywhere useful either. But the point is that its not just the natural enemies of wikileaks who have a beef with Assange.

I suppose I'm most interested in peoples opinions pre-2010. My recollection is that Assange was barely known of up to this point, but wikileaks was involved in some fairly important and interesting leaks. Something that they won an Amnesty International award for related to Kenyan police killings, a second BNP membership list leak, something about Trafigura and a super injunction, various leaks related to financial services shortly after the "credit crunch". Some of these were important stories, and certainly had wikileaks named in the media prior to "cablegate". And, at the same time, Assange was a name very few people had heard of.

From what I knew of wikileaks at the time, I felt they were a force for good. I don't know much about the "model of private ownership hidden behind PR about openness and democracy" 'although that's certainly something i'd be interested to hear more about. I still don't see that wikileaks is an intrinsically "bad" organisation. Just one that appears to have lost its way.

I look forward to being corrected, though. :)

I knew David Rovics would be on there. Thank god for the honour of US anarchism that his track is about Manning and not Assange.

Anyone fancy coming up with an alternative wikileaks cd track listing?

In the spirit of twisting the meaning of lyrics in various ways, I'll start with:

Sweden - Divine Comedy
...And Justice for All - Metallica
Who Needs Information - Roger Waters

I dunno that's why I asked, but also he has to step outside the embassy to get into the car and also at the other end to get into the plane. Who knows?

I don't understand why he didn't claim asylum in Russia. If he had got a seat in the Russian parliament he could never be extradited, and as an added bonus there are some seriously hot women in Moscow.

Meaningless - Ecuador cannot exempt someone from European law by granting them asylum. The only way this would get interesting in that sense is if he was given Ecuadoran citizenship then made a diplomat. Which he won't be.

I don't understand why he didn't claim asylum in Russia. If he had got a seat in the Russian parliament he could never be extradited, and as an added bonus there are some seriously hot women in Moscow.

This is true, but it would be a bit mental to seek to escape from a country that goes after journalists who embarass it politically by running off to Moscow.

Back
Top Bottom