Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Are YOU happy with the overall result & your [new] constituency MP ?

Are YOU happy with the overall result & your [new] constituency MP ?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Not really, both politically and on a more personal level.

We chopped the Tory majority from 20,000 to 1000 or whatever, but the Tory (Mark Garnier) is genuinely one of the laziest MP's in the commons. I could cope with losing to a popular, hard working constituency MP - Sajid Javid, Tom Tugenhat and plenty of other Tories are well regarded as people who put a shift in on constituency matters - but to lose to a bloke who was useless, tarnished in the sex-pesting era, and who barely campaigned, really stings.

I have concerns for the future - how shallow the majority is in huge numbers of constituencies meaning a total flip at the next GE is a real possibility, in how many seats Reform came second, in how many seats the Reform+Tory vote swamps everyone else's.

I have a real fear that the fickleness, the lack of patience in the electorate means that unless Labour puts a huge shift in in housebuilding and employment, that the next election will be far more Labour Vs Reform (or whatever form the hard/far right take by then) than this one, and they'll win.

All that said, if my fear is the far right, I'm absolutely certain that a labour government with a 150+ majority stands a far greater chance draining 30% of the 'disaffected' vote than a fag end Tory government that limped over the line.

I am convinced that a far right government will happen in my lifetime, but if it's been kicked another 5 years down the road, then I'll take that.

Very happy just to see the end of this fucking awful Tory government. Not exactly thrilled at the prospect of Starmer as PM, but not as angry as some on here. Mildly disillusioned with politics of all kinds. Still very pleased to see the West Country turn mostly yellow and red. I always thought people around here generally weren't that daft, but for a few years it was depressing looking at a sea of blue on the political map with three red dots in the cities.

Happy that Exeter remains a safe Labour seat. No idea what to make of the new bloke. I doubt he's a left-wing firebrand, but he apparently grew up on a council estate in a single-parent household, so at least he might know a little about life.

Reform came 4th here. Yesterday Electoral Calculus said they'd come 2nd.

I'll be happier if next time around we don't get that site shoved down our throat as gospel.

The only "opinion poll" that could be said to be on the ball was the BBC's "Exit Poll" ...

Think part of the problem with poll accuracy these days is the number of people who "think" that their vote is going to be for a particular someone and give the poll an answer to that end, but eventually, come election day the voter places their cross elsewhere - perhaps more tactically significant or more in line with "normality".

I must admit that I'm both pleased at how few seats reform actually got, but at the same time I'm really worried about how many votes they got - and placed second in so many seats.

The LibDems did very well with targeting seats that they had a chance of winning ...

The only "opinion poll" that could be said to be on the ball was the BBC's "Exit Poll" ...

Think part of the problem with poll accuracy these days is the number of people who "think" that their vote is going to be for a particular someone and give the poll an answer to that end, but eventually, come election day the voter places their cross elsewhere - perhaps more tactically significant or more in line with "normality".

I must admit that I'm both pleased at how few seats reform actually got, but at the same time I'm really worried about how many votes they got - and placed second in so many seats.

The LibDems did very well with targeting seats that they had a chance of winning ...
Maybe. One of the problems for psephologists is the shifting sands of voting patterns. So they weight their samples according to past behaviour in terms of who is likely to actually vote on the day, but that's not always a good guide. Turnout was way down yesterday, and I suspect that it will be particular demographics that will have been particularly down. If the pollsters haven't anticipated that (and how could they?), they will skew their own results in the wrong way.

Nope, best lesser evil result would have been a minority Labour gov. Glad Corbyn and some pro-Gaza candidates, and even Greens, fucked Labour in a few seats. Happy to see lots of Tories go. But not looking forward to the most right wing Labour government ever with a huge majority and not the sense to see past parliament to how fragile its base really is.

On constituency level meh - Alex Sobel, no Corbyn, Burgon or McDonnell but also not a super cunt like Kendall or Streeting. TUSC got nowhere but Greens improved their votes (though still miles behind Labour). Possible that Greens could challenge Labour here in the medium term.

My new MP is a Starmerite hack with no links to Cardiff who was voted in despite a 13% decrease in the Labour vote. Grim.
I'm sure someone'll get round to it at some point, but I'd be interested in seeing what the swing rates were for different scenarios, but particularly incumbent Labour holds.

Can't help suspecting that quite a few will have lost vote share, but curious if that would be the overall trend, too.

There's no change here in Hammersmith & Chiswick (as it's now called). Andy Slaughter is good on Palestine, but, in the past, he's supported Yvette Cooper as a leadership candidate and was partly behind Owen Smith's challenge to Corbyn. He also participated in the so-called 'Chicken Coup'. I voted Green, because I couldn't bring myself to vote for Labour after being told by Starmer and his goons that they neither wanted nor needed my vote. Furthermore, there's a hierarchy of racism in the party that I couldn't reconcile. Fuck the Labour Party.

I have a real fear that the fickleness, the lack of patience in the electorate means that unless Labour puts a huge shift in in housebuilding and employment, that the next election will be far more Labour Vs Reform (or whatever form the hard/far right take by then) than this one, and they'll win.

The problem isn't really fickle electorates is it, it's that as of now that electorate collectively doesn't particularly want Starmer in government. They could keep every single vote they got yesterday and still easily get a beating if circumstances don't fall for them to the same degree. So they do have to do a lot of work yes but not because of fickleness or lack of patience.

Mine was never gonna be other than the incumbent Labour MP. No idea on her voting record tbh but I live in a largely Muslim area and am pleased to see a female Muslim retain it.

Overall - Pleased to see the Tories getting the kicking they deserve, but less pleased to see that it was mostly due to Reform. Labour will marginally less shit, but haven't really done enough to justify the victory they're claiming.
Also not looking forward to seeing Farage spouting shite every time I turn on the TV.

Locally - Glad to see it remained red, but it's a new boundary and a new MP so the jury is still out.

Just found out our new labour MP used to do PR for a pharmaceutical company. It was a safe seat so they could parachute in any fucker they liked to replace the retiring Ben Bradshaw.

How are we allowing ourselves to be governed by PR drones, corporate lawyers and finance tapeworms? Why are people not demanding to be represented by someone who has done at least one day's useful work in all their years on this earth?

Overall? Hell no. Shite Labour government that will use a very flattering majority as justification for a hard-right agenda. They'll crash and burn their support within a very short space of time and the far-right are now legitimised and poised to take advantage. Green and Indie gains a fairly pathetic consolation.

Locally? My Labour MP is ok. Seems a decent enough bloke and works hard enough. But a political vacuum who won't challenge any rightward drift.

Not really, both politically and on a more personal level.

We chopped the Tory majority from 20,000 to 1000 or whatever, but the Tory (Mark Garnier) is genuinely one of the laziest MP's in the commons. I could cope with losing to a popular, hard working constituency MP - Sajid Javid, Tom Tugenhat and plenty of other Tories are well regarded as people who put a shift in on constituency matters - but to lose to a bloke who was useless, tarnished in the sex-pesting era, and who barely campaigned, really stings.

I have concerns for the future - how shallow the majority is in huge numbers of constituencies meaning a total flip at the next GE is a real possibility, in how many seats Reform came second, in how many seats the Reform+Tory vote swamps everyone else's.

All that said, if my fear is the far right, I'm absolutely certain that a labour government with a 150+ majority stands a far greater chance draining 30% of the 'disaffected' vote than a fag end Tory government that limped over the line.

I am convinced that a far right government will happen in my lifetime, but if it's been kicked another 5 years down the road, then I'll take that.
BIB - It's not just about being fickle or impatient. Poverty is increasing, there are record numbers of people using foodbanks, the NHS (including its mental health services) is screwed.

A quarter of children in Britain live in poverty.

Re housing: huge numbers of people are facing homelessness; the number of rough sleepers has been rising steeply; loads of people live in temporary or unsuitable housing; increasing numbers of people are having to move away from the areas they call home because they're being priced out by gentrification, second and third homes, BTL landlords, all sorts of reasons, not just to do with housebuilding.

He looks about 12 but he’s the first Labour Mp I’ve had and the first to be in this constituency since it existed

So yeah I guess

That's actually a decent showing for the greens. I know nothing about the Scottish Greens. Do they win on councils? And what's their stance on independence?
They have Cllrs, and have been or are minority partners in coalition administrations on councils.

We have Green Cllrs here locally, and Green MSPs.

The Greens were in coalition with the SNP at Holyrood until Hamza Yousaf unilaterally dissolved the deal, leading to his downfall as First Minister.

They support Scottish independence.

Dunno, didn't think that far ahead tbh. Upon until receiving my poll card a couple of weeks ago I thought I was still in Derbyshire South only knowing I had been moved to Derbyshire Dales when the cards came.
All I know about my new MP is his name and the fact that he won by 250 votes one of which would be mine.

Major change in Dorset, it has turned mostly red and yellow. But Reform came third in both Bournemouth East & West - they split the Tory vote and allowed Labour in.

It's good that the Tories have gone, but I'm not that excited.

Nice to see the Tories trounced, but not in any meaningful way, and I don't have any hope for Starmer's Labour either in policy terms (which the cabinet largely confirms), or its prospects in even five years.

MP is new, Labour. Imagine she'll be another run of the mill type, but that's a 'maybe'.

Shitty Labour candidate won and he has already blocked both my Twitter accounts, so he doesn't like me much, though I have no idea what i said to upset him.
And Reform came second which does no bode well for the future.

Happy that my left Labour mp won the new constituency. She's a decent mp with a good voting record. I hope the starmerist Labour party doesn't destroy her.

Delighted and relieved corbyn won. I would have been genuinely upset and depressed if he'd lost.

Happy the tories are out but starmer isn't offering change so unless he is somehow made to swing left not seeing much to celebrate in the next 4 years.

Even with a left wing govt everything's so broken it would take decades to restore what we've lost.

Back
Top Bottom