Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Archaeological discoveries, breakthroughs and theories

An important stone at Stonehenge came from Scotland, apparently:

Important because it indicates a greater level of social complexity than we might otherwise have supposed.

An important stone at Stonehenge came from Scotland, apparently:

Important because it indicates a greater level of social complexity than we might otherwise have supposed.
The book I bought in the shop when I visited Skara Brae seem to suggest the ritual complex on the islands became a centre that linked up right across Britain, as if they were spreading their religious or whatever ideas. Only dimly recall the theory and not got book to hand, but was first thing that occurred to be when they mentioned the Orcadian geology.

And it's not just the Pritani who were united in a large scale network. If the research in this link is valid, then the hunter-gatherers of today's central africa were also part, long ago, of a continent-spanning set of social relations:

And it's not just the Pritani who were united in a large scale network. If the research in this link is valid, then the hunter-gatherers of today's central africa were also part, long ago, of a continent-spanning set of social relations:

N and S America as well.

This isn't a breakthrough as I understand it's been known for some time, but - during a recent visit to Ireland, my gourd was blown when I learned (in the prehistoric section of Dundalk's County Museum) that the earliest humans arrived in Ireland c.10,000 years ago. This is extraordinarily recent when compared with remains of Homo heidelbergensis found in England and dated c.500,000 years ago.

I assumed the difference was on account of Doggerland linking England, Scotland and Wales to continental Europe.

However, this National Geographic map of prehistoric Europe indicates the land beneath the Irish Sea being above sea level 18,000 years ago (i.e. 16.000BC). So why was Ireland so (comparatively) recently populated by Mesolithic humans? Did the Emerald Isle's notorious rainfall deter people from settling there? :D

Or, more seriously, is there any significance in the 16,000BC-era ice sheets (on the National Geographic map), covering much of Scotland, and another ice sheet encompassing much of Fermanagh, Tyrone, Armagh, Monaghan, Cavan and Leitrim? Do these suggest that the surrounding areas were bleedin cold and most inhospitable, only becoming liveable with rising temperatures c.8,000BC, by which time there was still a land bridge from Donegal / Derry to western Scotland, appears to be roughly Argyll & Bute?

A couple of other things that twisted my melon while visiting Dundalk County Museum's prehistoric section (more than a section, in fact it's an entire floor 😍 ) was that despite Co.Louth being one of the smallest (or the smallest) of Ireland's counties in terms of its geographical surface area (square miles or rather kilometres), it's one of the richest in terms of the number and quality of its prehistoric finds, and of still-extant monoliths, dolmens, passage graves etc. We only stayed in Dundalk itself for a couple of days (the rest of our week was further south on the coast at Annagassan) but during that time I saw two or three top quality sites: this one is Proleek portal tomb (the name apparently derived from proilíg, meaning 'obscure' :D) ...

Attachments

• IMG_3174.JPG
    IMG_3174.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3172.JPG
    IMG_3172.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 2
...and this is Clontygora court tomb - astonishing views from here, looking down to Carlingford Lough, and over towards the Mourne mountains... (actually I've just realised this was just over the border in the North, Co.Armagh)

It seems there was a lot of prehistoric trade and exchange between Scotland (and possibly the Isle of Man) and this part of Ireland, hence the richness and variety of finds turned up in farmers' fields.
I was familiar with the idea of a Neolithic culture that began in Iberia and which had gradually moved along the coast up to France, Ireland, and the northwest of England - the distinctive spiral markings (third pic) and other decorative marks often found on their stones are (as I understand it) distinct to these areas and less likely be found on SE England's Neolithic stones.
e.g. the Calderstones in Liverpool feature these markings (and also a more recent engraving of 'J.L.', allegedly carved by a young Lennon who'd lived in the area :D) are similar to those of Spain, Portugal, France, Ireland.
BUT... a brief caption in the Dundalk museum suggested that this decorative style may have originated in Ireland and worked its way down to Iberia?! Surely carbon dating of organic material found at these sites would be able to prove / disprove this? I love the idea though - 'how the Irish saved civilisation' not once but twice 😍

Attachments

• IMG_3136.JPG
    IMG_3136.JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3137.JPG
    IMG_3137.JPG
    472.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3186.JPG
    IMG_3186.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom