Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anti-paedophile demo - Weymouth

Well hmm, I'm fairly sure that I'm not a paedophile, so am I allowed to care where sex offenders may be housed if they are near me, or not ??
What would you do about it if you knew?

Do you want to know all the convictions of all the people that live nearby?

Simply shouting at kids or getting angry at them, no.

Letting them know full well that they're an unwanted burden, yes.

It just seems a bit odd, to decide that some random parents on the street are committing neglect to their kids, then moralising to everyone about how they have no rights to know about persons who have actually been convicted of a crime.

:confused:

It just seems a bit odd, to decide that some random parents on the street are committing neglect to their kids, then moralising to everyone about how they have no rights to know about persons who have actually been convicted of a crime.

:confused:

My point is simply that these hysterical "anti pedo" demonstrations are wrong on two levels. First because they are built on an irrational fear of strangers, a kind of modern day Frankenstein witch hunt for mythical monsters where none really exist and by doing so they feed into a tabloid led tendency to distrust everyone. To approach all relationships, be they neighbours, school professionals, new boyfriends, friends etc, from the onset as potential abusers of our kids.

In doing so we destroy all sense of community, all sense of neighbourliness and all society. We end up fearing everyone and everything and throwing ourselves on the all wise all seeing mercy of the state to save us from ourselves. So more regulation, more disclosure legislation, more CRBs more CCTV cameras more interferance in our lives. The "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to hide cliche becomes the norm. I don't want to live like that..

Second because by indulging in this monster hunt they divert attention from the real abuse and neglect that is all around us.. There is no doubt that the vast vast majority of abuse and neglect is hiidden behind the net curtains.

Yes, I think the kind of low level neglect and bored resentment I mentioned earlier is abuse. Not one as easily tangible as the pedo with the bag of sweets image but abuse nevertheless. By focusing on monsters we ignore the reality of the abuse that is all around us.

Well hmm, I'm fairly sure that I'm not a paedophile, so am I allowed to care where sex offenders may be housed if they are near me, or not ?

Your children really aren't in much danger from sex offenders living nearby. They really aren't. They are much more in danger from someone you know. So no, you don't need to know and you really shouldn't worry about it. Nobody is waiting in the park to fuck our kids.

My point is simply that these hysterical "anti pedo" demonstrations are wrong on two levels. First because they are built on an irrational fear of strangers, a kind of modern day Frankenstein witch hunt for mythical monsters where none really exist and by doing so they feed into a tabloid led tendency to distrust everyone. To approach all relationships, be they neighbours, school professionals, new boyfriends, friends etc, from the onset as potential abusers of our kids.

In doing so we destroy all sense of community, all sense of neighbourliness and all society. We end up fearing everyone and everything and throwing ourselves on the all wise all seeing mercy of the state to save us from ourselves. So more regulation, more disclosure legislation, more CRBs more CCTV cameras more interferance in our lives. The "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to hide cliche becomes the norm. I don't want to live like that..
Not talking about the demonstrations, but wanting to know where sex offenders live - why not? Surely it will help dispell rumours and wrongful accusations against innocent people? Which can and do already happen.

Second because by indulging in this monster hunt they divert attention from the real abuse and neglect that is all around us.. There is no doubt that the vast vast majority of abuse and neglect is hiidden behind the net curtains.

Yes, I think the kind of low level neglect and bored resentment I mentioned earlier is abuse. Not one as easily tangible as the pedo with the bag of sweets image but abuse nevertheless. By focusing on monsters we ignore the reality of the abuse that is all around us.

But you are jumping to a huge moral conclusion of 'neglect' based on nothing more than an observation + your imagination. This is the kind of thing you are criticising in others when it comes to accusing or suspicions of paedophiles.

Maybe people do have a right to know if someone convicted of abuse is coming to live near them, I think -- this does indeed happen, it seems as if you're actually trying to suggest this does not occur. Just because abuse happens inside the family does not mean they do not also occur outside it, too.

By the way, newspapers regularly publish the details of people caught shopifting and the like, how is this different??

The only thing that would worry me would be people who had been wrongly convicted -- but that is a problem in itself -- no way should accusations that have not resulted in a successful prosecution be made public though.

Not talking about the demonstrations, but wanting to know where sex offenders live - why not? Surely it will help dispell rumours and wrongful accusations against innocent people? Which can and do already happen.

But you are jumping to a huge moral conclusion of 'neglect' based on nothing more than an observation + your imagination. This is the kind of thing you are criticising in others when it comes to accusing or suspicions of paedophiles.

Maybe people do have a right to know if someone convicted of abuse is coming to live near them, I think -- this does indeed happen, it seems as if you're actually trying to suggest this does not occur. Just because abuse happens inside the family does not mean they do not also occur outside it, too.

By the way, newspapers regularly publish the details of people caught shopifting and the like, how is this different??

The only thing that would worry me would be people who had been wrongly convicted -- but that is a problem in itself -- no way should accusations that have not resulted in a successful prosecution be made public though.

Shoplifters don't usually arouse murderous rage in people.

Usually. I'm no fan of the judiciary, but if we are to have one then according to it's own logic it has to be the only punisher. If that means protecting a beast from lynch mobs then that is what must happen.

Which 'lynch' mobs?As opposed to a demonstration?

And if they do occur already, how would having the facts- rather than second hand gossip/ hearsay actually make things worse?

you are jumping to a huge moral conclusion of 'neglect' based on nothing more than an observation + your imagination. This is the kind of thing you are criticising in others when it comes to accusing or suspicions of paedophiles.

My point is simply that most abuse and neglect isn't spectacular. It isn't tabloid worthy and it is overlooked by almost everyone. It is the low level misery and loveless childhoods that is inflicted on an untold number of kids all around us but noone gives it a second thought. I think if you raise your kids without a word of encouragement and crush all forms of self expression you give kids miserable lives. If all your kid ever hears is "stop it" they grow up with the message that they are an unwanted burden. I see and hear this all the time, it's not a moral judgement its an observation. .

Sorry but that is bollocks. You and I know exactly what it would lead to. It would lead to a lynch mob.

Is it neglect? Calling to your kid?? What exactly was supposed to have been done?

How about letting the kid play?

I'm not talking about frustrated parents occasionally yelling at their kids, I'm talking about parents who do nothing but. I'm talking about kids who grow up hearing nothing but the message that they are a burden.

I don't understand you here. Not having a pop, but could you rephrase in a manner that might get through to my soggy brain?
@angel

Is that abuse??

People shouting at their kids agressively is abuse, yes. I see far too much of it in Brum. "Put that down you little shit" being a lovely example, shouted to a 3 year old boy at a bus stop when he picked his chocolate off the floor after dropping it. All too common unfortunately. :(

People shouting at their kids agressively is abuse, yes. I see far too much of it in Brum. "Put that down you little shit" being a lovely example, shouted to a 3 year old boy at a bus stop when he picked his chocolate off the floor after dropping it. All too common unfortunately. :(

That wasn't what was posted in the original post, though, that's why I questioned it.

That wasn't what was posted in the original post, though, that's why I questioned it.

I think yelling at kids all the time to "not do that" and to "come here" is verging on the abusive, yes. Would you talk like that to an adult?

Sorry but that is bollocks. You and I know exactly what it would lead to. It would lead to a lynch mob.
Actually, it's already the case in parts of the US that the details (including full names, addresses and photographs) of convicted sex offenders are easily available to anybody who wants to know, look up "Megan's Law" if you don't believe me. I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with the idea, but I've yet to hear of large numbers of lynching of paedophiles in the US.

Frankly, I think it shows a disturbingly misanthropic and elitist view of the world that so many people on here think that the second people know that a sex offender lives in their area they're going to break out the pitchforks and burning torches.

Actually, it's already the case in parts of the US that the details (including full names, addresses and photographs) of convicted sex offenders are easily available to anybody who wants to know, look up "Megan's Law" if you don't believe me. I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with the idea, but I've yet to hear of large numbers of lynching of paedophiles in the US.

Frankly, I think it shows a disturbingly misanthropic and elitist view of the world that so many people on here think that the second people know that a sex offender lives in their area they're going to break out the pitchforks and burning torches.

You are very optimistic about the character of some people. I suggest you watch Nick Broomfield's excellent documentary "being Maxine Carr" about attacks on completely innocent women who were mistaken for Maxine Carr. It's a chilling account of where the blind witchhunt mentality can lead.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/being-maxine-carr/episode-guide/series-1/episode-1

Since Maxine Carr, the former girlfriend of Soham murderer Ian Huntley, left jail and started life with a new identity in 2004, more than a dozen women around Britain have been mistaken for her and hunted from their homes, despite having no resemblance to Carr and being able to prove their real identity.

For the vicious whispering campaigns that swept their towns such details became irrelevant, driven by an unfulfilled vengeance against Maxine Carr.

This documentary meets three innocent women whose lives took surreal and horrific turns when they moved to new towns. To some of their neighbours they were unquestionably Maxine Carr, and each woman's protests fell on deaf ears.

Hysteria has it's own dynamic and it's clear where the logic of aimless "anti pedo" demonstrations leads.

Blagsta
People shouting at their kids agressively is abuse, yes. I see far too much of it in Brum. "Put that down you little shit" being a lovely example, shouted to a 3 year old boy at a bus stop when he picked his chocolate off the floor after dropping it. All too common unfortunately.

It's not often I find myself agreeing with Blagsta but he is spot on here.

I wait with my son at the bus stop every afternoon when I pick him up from school and I swear I have never heard a good word from some parents towards their kids. It's a torrent of "come here NOW", "get down", "get off that", "be quiet", "how many times have I told you" "I will give you a good hiding," "Shut up." Never so much as a single good word. It's so bad that my 10 year old actually looks at me and rolls his eyes. He even commented that he was so glad he didn't have them for parents. Worse than that, when I play with my son, and run around and play tig or encourage him to climb walls and trees, they look at me like i'm nuts.

This is a form of abuse yes. A low level demoralising soul destroying form of abuse that is accepted and ignored. I certainly don't see any of the people demonstrating against "pedos" addressing the issue.

And I am supposed to worry about mythical monsters in the bushes?

Paedophilia is a disease. But these days it provides an opportunity for sadists and law-and-order fetishists to vent their hatred. You can say anything you like about a "paedo," you can unload all your darkest emotions on them, and be fairly sure that you won´t get criticized for it. People who obsessively rant and rage against paedophiles are just as perverted as the paedophiles themselves.

You are very optimistic about the character of some people. I suggest you watch Nick Broomfield's excellent documentary "being Maxine Carr" about attacks on completely innocent women who were mistaken for Maxine Carr. It's a chilling account of where the blind witchhunt mentality can lead.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/being-maxine-carr/episode-guide/series-1/episode-1

Hysteria has it's own dynamic and it's clear where the logic of aimless "anti pedo" demonstrations leads.
Well as far as I can see, there's no actual connection between the Maxine Carr stuff and the sort of demonstration mentioned in the OP. There's also no link between that and what I was actually talking about (laws allowing people to access details about convicted sex offenders in their area). I'm happy to admit if I'm wrong but as far as I know there is no serious problem with vigilante attacks against paedophiles in states in America with some version of "Megan's law".

Basically, you're lumping things together that don't really belong.

Well as far as I can see, there's no actual connection between the Maxine Carr stuff and the sort of demonstration mentioned in the OP. There's also no link between that and what I was actually talking about (laws allowing people to access details about convicted sex offenders in their area). I'm happy to admit if I'm wrong but as far as I know there is no serious problem with vigilante attacks against paedophiles in states in America with some version of "Megan's law".

You don´t know very far then. There are many such attacks. Well tbh I don¨t have any statistics, but they are often reported in the media.

I think the point is if that people are willing to act in such ways as assault and harassing a woman who is rumoured to be Maxine Carr, a person only sentenced for lying to the police essentially then the reaction of those who had access to information on the whereabouts of actual sex offenders would be a million times worse.

If people knew where the real Maxine Carr was then the innocent would have nothing to worry about.

"Only lying to the Police" to protect a paedophile who had killed two young girls is hardly a minor matter.

The problem with comparing forms of neglect and shouting etc with paedophilia is that it can encourage paedos into thinking that their behaviour is in some way socially acceptable. At least, they say, they aren't as bad as those parents who shout and scream at their kids or hit their kids, the paedo believes that he has real , valuable relationships with children. The paedo teacher or priest believes he has a special bond with his pupils that has helped them pass exams and go on in life. In a way he has saved them from loveless lives etc etc. The paedo wishes to believe that he is not bad, but merely misunderstood by an irrational world.

The paedo who is restricted to devoting itself to the consumption of images of children will justify these actions by rationalising that by doing so he is preventing himself from taking actions far worse.

The paedo who does not use brute force but believes that he builds relationships with those he abuses will justify his actions by his self perceived gentleness.

The paedo who uses brute force but does not kill will similarly try to explain how moral his actions are.

At the end of the day this is about adults abusing children. As the state has obviously failed in protecting them by repeatedly placing paedo scum in close proximity, by providing minor penalties for people who access paedo material, schools have covered up paedo teachers, and churches have tried to hush up the presence of abusive priests, it is apparent that children, parents, and the wider community should be able to know the identity of convicted paedos.

If paedos believe they have an incurable disease, I would highly recommend they read the book Final Exit, by Derek Humphry, ISBN 0-3853365-3-5. It is available online and provides a relatively pain free, effective and permanent cure for those afflicted.

It is apparent that some paedos believe they have an incurable disease. If this is the case then I would highly recommend they read the book Final Exit, by Derek Humphry, ISBN 0-3853365-3-5 it is available online and provides a relatively pain free, effective and permanent cure for those afflicted.

The vast majority of paedophiles never act on their impulses. Do you think they should kill themselves too?

Well as far as I can see, there's no actual connection between the Maxine Carr stuff and the sort of demonstration mentioned in the OP.

Don't be so naive. Of course there is a direct connection.

Reported in the independant. August 2000.
Housing officials and social workers will today start knocking on the doors of 15 people named on a hit list of suspected child sex offenders, which provoked nightly disorder and demonstrations on the streets of the Portsmouth estate.

Yesterday, the home that Mrs Adams, a 44-year-old shop assistant, shared with her husband, Lee, and teenage son, Matt, lay empty as it emerged that the family were one of five who have been wrongly driven from Paulsgrove by anti-paedophile vigilantes.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...rt-after-vigilante-attack-on-home-710776.html

BBC on the same story
Police say the public reaction has been hysterical and that innocent people are suffering.

And where does the hysteria come from? Oh what a surprise.
The trouble began when the News of the World started its naming and shaming of paedophiles campaign. The paper has now stopped that policy but the protests are continuing.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/872436.stm

Yeah but there is no connection with this kind of hysteria and peaceful protests of course.
Protests have escalated from peaceful demonstrations into riots with police coming under fire, cars being burned and windows smashed.
Yeah but Pedo's innit?

Back
Top Bottom