Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

anti-bike policy at Waitrose, St. Kathrine's Docks

z8000939

Dear All: Just wondering if there are other cyclists out there who would be interested to know about Waitrose, at St. Katherine's Docks near Tower Bridge, and its anti-bike policies? I was using a Brompton which can be folded. However, as it was late and I was tired, I took it in unfolded, being careful and sensitive not to cause problems for the other shoppers (it's a tiny bike anyway, not much bigger than a shopping cart). I was approached by a security guard who said unfolded bikes were not permitted but it was ok if it was folded. I then mentioned that the wheels would still be touching the floor, and that the store allowed wheelchairs and baby carriages inside the store which also had wheels that touched the ground outside and what was the problem with bikes specifically. I knew while I was saying this that i was wasting my time, that it was a pointless conversation but I have been disgusted for quite some time at how cyclists are often treated as second-class citizens and told how bikes are not allowed in various places, often with no reasonable justification.In any event, I needed to buy things so I complied and folded the Brompton. The security guard stood watching me like I was five years old and couldn't be trusted to do it without supervision. I was starting to lose my rag but managed to contain myself and finished shopping and left. Has anyone else felt similarly about the treatment of cyclists in London? Do any cyclists feel like doing some shopping with their bikes at Waitrose at St. Katherine's Docks, maybe as a group? Am I taking this all wrong? Would appreciate your input. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by a moderator:
5 minutes ago

Dear All: Just wondering if there are other cyclists out there who would be interested to know about Waitrose, at St. Katherine's Docks near Tower Bridge, and its anti-bike policies? I was using a Brompton which can be folded. However, as it was late and I was tired, I took it in unfolded, being careful and sensitive not to cause problems for the other shoppers (it's a tiny bike anyway, not much bigger than a shopping cart). I was approached by a security guard who said unfolded bikes were not permitted but it was ok if it was folded. I then mentioned that the wheels would still be touching the floor, and that the store allowed wheelchairs and baby carriages inside the store which also had wheels that touched the ground outside and what was the problem with bikes specifically. I knew while I was saying this that i was wasting my time, that it was a pointless conversation but I have been disgusted for quite some time at how cyclists are often treated as second-class citizens and told how bikes are not allowed in various places, often with no reasonable justification.In any event, I needed to buy things so I complied and folded the Brompton. The security guard stood watching me like I was five years old and couldn't be trusted to do it without supervision. I was starting to lose my rag but managed to contain myself and finished shopping and left. Has anyone else felt similarly about the treatment of cyclists in London? Do any cyclists feel like doing some shopping with their bikes at Waitrose at St. Katherine's Docks, maybe as a group? Am I taking this all wrong? Would appreciate your input. Thanks for listening.

Quote Reply

Report Edit
Couldn't you have out-peddled the security guard?

(it's a tiny bike anyway, not much bigger than a shopping cart).
Unless you're very tiny then presumably key measurements like handlebar width, pedal width, seat height and wheel base are going to be much the same as any other bike surely?

If supermarkets allow cyclists in I'm not shopping there. Cyclists are big enough that's on pavements and roads without them being allowed in shops.

They should be made to have registration plates, MoT, insurance, and should pay road taxes. Then they should have to take a test, both academic and practical. Only then should they be told to fuck off out the shop.

I generally try and make eye contact with a member of staff before taking my bike into a shop. If they’re fine with it, I go ahead and shop there. If they say it’s not allowed I go elsewhere.

It varies from shop to shop even if it’s different branches of the same chain so I’ve concluded there’s no “policy” on it other than what the staff on duty at the time feel like.

I have a brompton but it’s a bit knackered so it doesn’t fold up properly. £400 secondhand, so I guess that’s what you get.

It’s a total pain in the arse to lock it due to the shape of the frame, and it’s way more stealable than a regular bike. I did lock it outside a big supermarket once and came out to find one of the two locks had been cut through and the second one had been started on. If the staff aren’t happy for me to bring it inside the shop I’m buying my groceries elsewhere.

Most places are fine with it IME.
I reckon asking them first is what makes the difference.

Back
Top Bottom