Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

anti-bike policy at Waitrose, St. Kathrine's Docks

In the same way that doctors drove a car into Glasgow airport no doubt,now you're riled by them objecting to your bike
helicopters, folding laundry, origami, cars of all description, flocks of sheep, all amazing ideas, would never have thought of them as a means to an end, I feel quite inadequate having suggested bikes when there so many other options available, thanks to all/sundry, food for thought

5 minutes ago

Dear All: Just wondering if there are other cyclists out there who would be interested to know about Waitrose, at St. Katherine's Docks near Tower Bridge, and its anti-bike policies? I was using a Brompton which can be folded. However, as it was late and I was tired, I took it in unfolded, being careful and sensitive not to cause problems for the other shoppers (it's a tiny bike anyway, not much bigger than a shopping cart). I was approached by a security guard who said unfolded bikes were not permitted but it was ok if it was folded. I then mentioned that the wheels would still be touching the floor, and that the store allowed wheelchairs and baby carriages inside the store which also had wheels that touched the ground outside and what was the problem with bikes specifically. I knew while I was saying this that i was wasting my time, that it was a pointless conversation but I have been disgusted for quite some time at how cyclists are often treated as second-class citizens and told how bikes are not allowed in various places, often with no reasonable justification.In any event, I needed to buy things so I complied and folded the Brompton. The security guard stood watching me like I was five years old and couldn't be trusted to do it without supervision. I was starting to lose my rag but managed to contain myself and finished shopping and left. Has anyone else felt similarly about the treatment of cyclists in London? Do any cyclists feel like doing some shopping with their bikes at Waitrose at St. Katherine's Docks, maybe as a group? Am I taking this all wrong? Would appreciate your input. Thanks for listening.

Quote Reply

Report Edit
Shop in Lidl and lock your stupid bike up outside.

You think Waitrose is bad. Back in the day, I had many issues getting a bike on a train and not just in the UK, but also on Eurostar and on French and Dutch trains. This is one of the best things about a Brompton, you fold it and can literally take it anywhere.
Yes, they are very nickable. I scored and old second hand one a while back, which went walkies with someone 😡

If I was given the freedom of a city that included this I'd have to do it just for the hell of it. At rush hour to wind as many people up as possible.
Is that actually a real thing or just an urban legend? It's the sort of thing you desperately hope is true and that someone will actually do it.

Is that actually a real thing or just an urban legend? It's the sort of thing you desperately hope is true and that someone will actually do it.

It happens once a year I think, ceremonial like

You think Waitrose is bad. Back in the day, I had many issues getting a bike on a train and not just in the UK, but also on Eurostar and on French and Dutch trains. This is one of the best things about a Brompton, you fold it and can literally take it anywhere.
Yes, they are very nickable. I scored and old second hand one a while back, which went walkies with someone 😡

We’ve got an old Raleigh folding bike in the cupboard, folded up it’s actually less portable - thing weighs more than my mountain bike.

Only cost us fifty quid though, wife used it to learn to ride

Back
Top Bottom