Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

anti-bike policy at Waitrose, St. Kathrine's Docks

The idea was started during Ken's reign. It's just that they came into being during Johnson's time.
So was it conceived before the (Boris) Santander bikes had materialised? That would certainly make sense at the beginning of the scheme, but Boris bikes have been around for donkeys now, so I struggle to think of the business model advantage of hiring out expensive folding bikes optimised to be carried on trains.

As Bahnhof Strasse has already pointed out, people going to London from such suburb locations can simply get a Santander one at the London terminus, as well as one of the several alternative brands you can pick up on the streets. And if the bikes are intended for local use, I would imagine there are alternative options to Bromptons.

Is that an automatic thing for RN commanders or did he do something specific to earn it?
Mrs Q's Dad reached the rank of Chief Petty Officer (can't have told me more than a 1000 times) I'm sure if he was a Freeman of Anywhere he would have bored me witless telling me that as well

Don’t think it’s a regular thing, but never asked why he got it. I never asked him much about his naval career either. Should have done really.

I would not give Johnson credit for the snot out of my nose and he certainly does not deserve credit for the bikes 😡 I wish I had time to research a little more. Fuck the bastard Johnson.
"Colloquially known as “Boris Bikes” since Boris Johnson was mayor when the scheme began, but it’s actually a misnomer. "

I don’t know how good they are, but our upstairs neighbour got a Chinese copy of the Brompton folding concept for the far more reasonable price of £350 or so. Last I spoke to her, she said it was perfectly functional for her needs.

The way I see it, Bromptons are meant for short-ish commute rides from your home to the train station, then to work at the other end. Expensive weight saving alloys or state-of-the-art gear changing sets are superfluous to requirements, and therefore price tags of 1.2k are a monumental fucking rip off, certainly if other folding bikes are also available.

You bought a Brompton, a bike which is specifically marketed on its being quick and easy to fold and then tow on its castors so you can take it into shops instead of locking it up, and then you got cross because someone asked you to fold it so you could take it into a shop instead of locking it up.

Bromptons are light making them very portable/easy to carry. They fold and unfold very easily. They are not a class leader for nothing. It's a bit like comparing an average Raleigh to a Colnago.
Oh, what's more they are British. You can't say that about many great things anymore.
The thing is, you can get a perfectly functional bike for short commute bikes for as little of a few hundred quid, or a lovely-riding one for such purpose under the £750 mark.

Unless Brompton had achieved a revolutionary first with their folding bike design and holds a patent on its folding characteristics, £1,200 is something of a ripoff as far as I am concerned. Far more so if there are cheaper alternatives available. So long as it’s not utter shit, no commuter cycling a couple of miles to their office is going to be noticeably worse off by riding a lesser folding bike than a Brompton.

My advice would be to get a tricycle and wheel that round inside as I bet they don’t have a written policy banning that.

See also all those twatty places that have signs with ‘bicycles locked to railings may be removed’. I always wanted a trike so I could be snarky with anyone that challenged me about locking it up there.

& you can get a robbed one off a scrote in east London for £300-400 and pigs won’t do shit.

I got a folding bike because of needing to do bike & train at peak hours. I got a Dahon, and it was a piece of shit to fold, to carry, or to ride. I might have just got a shit model with awful gearing but in any case I got a brompton when I could afford it. That was miles better on all fronts. It’s a bit knackered now but it’s done well, doesn’t even compare to the Dahon. You’d have to pay me to use one of those things again.

Back
Top Bottom