Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angola has lifted ban on same-sex relationships

Dystopiary

putting up a hook to hang my hopes upon
Angola has decriminalised same sex relationships, and is introducing measures to stop discrimination against people based on their sexuality. The ban was effected when Angola was a Portuguese colony:

Angola just ended its colonial-era gay sex ban

"The new Angolan law has been broadly and warmly welcomed by human rights activists and the LGBT+ community worldwide. In Kenya, LGBT+ rights groups hoped the move would inspire change within their own nation."

Angola has decriminalised same sex relationships, and is introducing measures to stop discrimination against people based on their sexuality. The ban was effected when Angola was a Portuguese colony:

Angola just ended its colonial-era gay sex ban

"The new Angolan law has been broadly and warmly welcomed by human rights activists and the LGBT+ community worldwide. In Kenya, LGBT+ rights groups hoped the move would inspire change within their own nation."
That's good news. As ever, the devil is in the detail - laws can be changed but it doesn't change societal attitudes. But a step forward and one less bigoted law on the statute books in the world. :)

I didn't realise till the other day that the 1533 Buggery Act made anal sex punishable by death and this remained on the statute books until 1861 (though the last executions were in the 1830s). Unbelievable.

There were loads of offences that were capital crimes back then though - one of my ancestors was hung for burglary (unless the record contained a typo).

There were loads of offences that were capital crimes back then though - one of my ancestors was hung for burglary (unless the record contained a typo).

The Bloody Code. Hadn't heard of it before. Covered things like pickpocketing, cutting down trees and shoplifting. Jesus.

The Bloody Code. Hadn't heard of it before. Covered things like pickpocketing, cutting down trees and shoplifting. Jesus.

The country wasn't exactly liberal back then. It's probably something that makes Daily Mail readers come in their pants.

At least a couple of ancestors were transported too - I think one was for nicking a loaf of bread or something irrelevant like that.

Back
Top Bottom