Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

American Civil War II

So what do you reckon? 2017, 2018, or later? I reckon a few small towns in the mountains will be occupied by gun-nut militias in 2017 if Trump loses. They will be easily put down by the federal authorities, leading to a lasting resentment that will bubble over at a later date. On the other hand, maybe nothing will happen and love will break out.

That's been happening for 240 years, already. So-called free townships (whether they're "Klan" towns or libertarian utopias); county-level secession; state-level secession. It's a safety valve that the federal state is happy to permit, just as long as they're occasionally able to make an example of such "freedom". You don't need to be right-wing gun nuts, either.

It's impossible to predict. The government would have to do something really stupid.

Thousands of California soldiers forced to repay enlistment bonuses a decade after going to war
22/10/16
Nearly 10,000 soldiers, many of whom served multiple combat tours, have been ordered to repay large enlistment bonuses — and slapped with interest charges, wage garnishments and tax liens if they refuse — after audits revealed widespread overpayments by the California Guard at the height of the wars last decade.

Did anyone ever find out who was behind this? Silicon Valley substation attack: “This wasn't Billy-Bob & Joe after a few brewskis” Thread from 2014

Whatever the outcome, the hatred will remain. It's not good news for the average American.

Off on a tangent now but imagine the unimagineable happened and civil war did break out. So serious that the EU would be asked to take millions of US refugees. Would the outcry be similar to the noise being generated over 14 children coming over to the UK from Calais?

Whatever the outcome, the hatred will remain. It's not good news for the average American.

Off on a tangent now but imagine the unimagineable happened and civil war did break out. So serious that the EU would be asked to take millions of US refugees. Would the outcry be similar to the noise being generated over 14 children coming over to the UK from Calais?
On the same tangent: If a civil war broke out in the US, I reckon most would flee north to Canada with the rest hoping that Mexico is in a generous mood when they're queuing up at the southern border crossings... There's more than enough locations adjacent to the states for civil war refugees to go to without having to risk the uncertainty and danger of an Atlantic crossing to Europe.

But it's not really going to go that far....

On the same tangent: If a civil war broke out in the US, I reckon most would flee north to Canada with the rest hoping that Mexico is in a generous mood when they're queuing up at the southern border crossings... There's more than enough locations adjacent to the states for civil war refugees to go to without having to risk the uncertainty and danger of an Atlantic crossing to Europe.

But it's not really going to go that far....

No, it won't. But I think refugees are brave and determined & we've seen that they will risk their lives to pursue what they see as safe haven.

Anyways; that's the nightmare scenario. But the US, whatever occurs in 2 weeks time and post election, will deserve the utmost scrutiny. I don't think the rest of us can afford to be complacent.

No, it won't. But I think refugees are brave and determined & we've seen that they will risk their lives to pursue what they see as safe haven.

Anyways; that's the nightmare scenario. But the US, whatever occurs in 2 weeks time and post election, will deserve the utmost scrutiny. I don't think the rest of us can afford to be complacent.
On the flip side, the rest of us can't afford to be hysterical either. Scrutiny-wise: stick the US under a suitably detailed microscope for long enough and it looks like the end times over there all the time -what with the gun crime, criminal gangs, police brutality, far right militias, tooled up nutballs and steady collapse of the 'American dream' (to name but a few)...

Let's be honest here; there are many, many things that would have to happen in order for the US to erupt into 'civil war II'. Yes, the political dialogue is ugly over there right now but no uglier than it has ever been since the post WWII era -we are not even near the scenario where the mainstream news media are talking up the inevitability of it (unlike the apocalyptic circle-jerking going on right now over Syria). We are more likely to see a nuclear war of some description kick off in the future than we are to see an American 'civil war II'...

I don't expect widespread violence because the people who have the biggest need for the government to change don't expect it to. There's a lot of people who've disowned government. They don't see that it has any effect on their lives. They don't feel that anyone represents them. And, they don't think they'll be represented in the future. Why bother to even register when that's the expectation? People rarely get violent when their expectations are being met.

The place you'll see violence is in pockets of the middle class that have suffered economically. They're still better off than many, but their expectations are not being met.

Last edited:
You don't need civil war when you can pour all your frustrations into Facebook, Youtube and internet messageboards.
After a busy day on the internet, most people are too bewildered, knackered and disorientated to do much else anyway.

Civil war isn't going to happen, but there could be trouble ahead. A Trump presidency that stands loudly in support of racist policing isn't exactly going to pacify minority communities. That's a more likely flashpoint than the militias kicking off.

I don't know, as I haven't met most people. There is, though, no shortage of foaming wrath and lunacy online, to where most of it fortunately remains confined .

And countries where civil war and conflict do errupt; are they not spending enough time on the internet, then?

Back
Top Bottom