Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

After having it on my watchlist for a couple of years I finally got round to starting Horace & Pete. That's one depressing dive bar but I'm kinda hooked.

Lodge49 season1is on Amazon Prime in the U.K.. if you like the sound of an intriguing comedy drama mystery about a surfer who was bit by a snake mourning his father , a fraternal lodge with a mysterious bent in alchemy and a devastating critique of post industrial labour then its right up your street

Last edited:

Bit of a search around and watched this Chinese crime movie last night.

It got rather sniffy reviews. I think it deserves better.

Low key in part documentary style of ( supposedly) of true story of armed robber gang who eluded police for years.

Set in 1990s China when it was starting to move towards more capitalist economy.

Its quite odd film. Made by Hong Kong but plot is clearly done in way to get the Chinese Market. And get pass mainland censors. The dogged Chinese detective is the morally upright citizen fighting those who are anti social elements.

On other hand the film slyly is critique of 1990s China. The highly intelligent armed gang aren't portrayed as just thugs. They have a moral code look out for one another. As the leader says if we were not robbing banks we would be working in factory for decades to earn this money.

I thought this was well shot underestimated film.

Great set pieces. As this is China getting arrested isn't a great idea. As end of film shows. So the level of violence of the gang is that they know if they lose the consequences are grim.

One review says there is no character to feel for. I thin they miss the point. It's a portrayed of a changing society. And the violence it brings.

Last edited:
Just came to recommend Hacks but I see it's already been mentioned. Surprisingly touching at the end of s1. Looking forward to starting the second season soon.

The main problem with Hacks is that the 'jokes' she tells on stage are desperately unfunny, even the ones that are supposed to be good. She wouldn't have achieved that level of success with shit like that.

As an aside, has anyone noticed the several Frasier connections?

Great ending to season 3 of The Boys

So glad Homelander survived. He was winning. Upgrade indeed. Look forward to Season 4 :cool:

Great ending to season 3 of The Boys

So glad Homelander survived. He was winning. Upgrade indeed. Look forward to Season 4 :cool:
I haven’t clicked on your reveal as I haven’t watched this week’s episode, but all previous seasons of this series were eight episodes. Is this one just five then?

If so you might want to spoil that fact, actually. I am not that bothered myself but I can imagine others might…

Yeah, there's 2 more episodes to go yet, we're up to ep 6 now.
So that surely means all the remaining episodes have been made available at once? Because I’m sure last week we were up to date with everything available and it was only up to ep 4…

I haven’t clicked on your reveal as I haven’t watched this week’s episode, but all previous seasons of this series were eight episodes. Is this one just five then?

If so you might want to spoil that fact, actually. I am not that bothered myself but I can imagine others might…

My mistake. It isn't the last episode. :facepalm:

So that surely means all the remaining episodes have been made available at once? Because I’m sure last week we were up to date with everything available and it was only up to ep 4…
I dunno if something odd has happened, but as I understand it the first 3 eps were put up at the same time, then it was weekly on Fridays.

I did really like how A-Train killed Blue Hawk by dragging him across the road. Clear nod to murders of African-Americans.

I think The Boys might actually have replaced Buffy as my favourite TV series of all time. Every moment of it is perfect in its execution and there’s not a minute of screen time wasted — every part is saying something. It’s social commentary and it’s just a fantastic story too. Plus the characters are fascinating in their layering and Anthony Starr must surely play the best bad guy ever put on screen.

Indeed, Starr does it so well that I looked up what else he had been in, sure I would find the career of some quietly feted actor from a series of worthy independent films. Nope.

Indeed, Starr does it so well that I looked up what else he had been in, sure I would find the career of some quietly feted actor from a series of worthy independent films. Nope.
At first I thought it was the dude from Saved By The Bell but somehow with well-developed acting chops

He is fucking great in Banshee too, a brillaint yet relatively little known action thriller series that ran to four seasons. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Banshee is all kinds of awesome. so fucking violent too.
The amount of fucking and nudity is insane too. But ultimately it is a very gripping, fast paced action thriller, and is hard to believe he is the same guy who plays Homelander.

Back
Top Bottom