Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

The amount of fucking and nudity is insane too. But ultimately it is a very gripping, fast paced action thriller, and is hard to believe he is the same guy who plays Homelander.

Yeah the fucking and nudity gets a bit tiresome. It's like "I get it, it's an adult show" but it's literally at least twice an episode and adds absolutely nothing to the story.

I think The Boys might actually have replaced Buffy as my favourite TV series of all time. Every moment of it is perfect in its execution and there’s not a minute of screen time wasted — every part is saying something. It’s social commentary and it’s just a fantastic story too. Plus the characters are fascinating in their layering and Anthony Starr must surely play the best bad guy ever put on screen.

Just caught up. Utterly brilliant last 3 episodes. Some of the political stuff in the last couple has been a bit clumsier than I would have liked but still great.

Loving The Boys. This series much better than the last. Only one thing and it's nothing to do with the series but OH MY DEAR FUCKING CHRIST WHY IS PRIME SUCH A MASSIVE FUCKING BALLACHE TO NAVIGATE? ONE FALSE FUCKING MOVE AND YOU'RE BACK TO THE START AND IT NEVER FUCKING REMEMBERS WHERE YOU ARE AND THE FFWD/REWIND IS EITHER GLACIALLY SLOW OR LIGHTNING FAST AND YOU CAN'T FUCKING SEE IT ANYWAY. FUCK ME, HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO COPY NETFLIX? FUCKSAKE, DRIVES ME UP THE FUCKING WALL.

grrr-homelander.gif

Loving The Boys. This series much better than the last. Only one thing and it's nothing to do with the series but OH MY DEAR FUCKING CHRIST WHY IS PRIME SUCH A MASSIVE FUCKING BALLACHE TO NAVIGATE? ONE FALSE FUCKING MOVE AND YOU'RE BACK TO THE START AND IT NEVER FUCKING REMEMBERS WHERE YOU ARE AND THE FFWD/REWIND IS EITHER GLACIALLY SLOW OR LIGHTNING FAST AND YOU CAN'T FUCKING SEE IT ANYWAY. FUCK ME, HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO COPY NETFLIX? FUCKSAKE, DRIVES ME UP THE FUCKING WALL.

View attachment 330243
I wish Prime would have the playback speed option. Sometimes when it's late at night but I want to watch a movie to chill out and relax (and to distract me from thinking about stressful stuff), I watch a movie on Netflix on 1.25 or 1.5 speed, because I don't want to spend 1.5 or two hours watching a movie, want to get through it quicker so I can go to sleep.

“Terminal Limits” just started streaming on Prime. I’ve watched the first two episodes and quite enjoyed them.

I've always been of the opinion that the Netflix interface is marginally better than Prime's, but I would happily give it up for X-Ray on Netflix to stop the constant "Oh, where do I remember them from? Whasser name?" :)
You just need this on your phone:

You just need this on your phone:
Yeah, I tend to just grab my phone and Google stuff while I'm watching something on my laptop or telly.

Just watched the last one. The political stuff kept its ham-fisted tone (forgivable, but also reasonable to expect better with something of this quality, and aside from…
Maeve surviving, which feels like a tacked on focus-grouped option given the self-sacrificial tone with the associated foreshadowing
…yeah, totally excellent.

What are we looking at now - 2023 for more?

I've always been of the opinion that the Netflix interface is marginally better than Prime's, but I would happily give it up for X-Ray on Netflix to stop the constant "Oh, where do I remember them from? Whasser name?" :)
The rewind and fast forward available speeds on Amazon are fucking shit, it has to be said. First one is not much better than x2 and takes too long for most purposes, and the next one takes you 6-8 minutes away before you have had time to to do anything about it.

The rewind and fast forward available speeds on Amazon are fucking shit, it has to be said. First one is not much better than x2 and takes too long for most purposes, and the next one takes you 6-8 minutes away before you have had time to to do anything about it.

Yes, this is annoying.

I watched The Vault so you don’t need to. Watch the first series of Money Heist instead.

I enjoyed Clarkon’s Farm. A mixture of Countryfile vs Top Gear that strangely works.

I watched The Vault so you don’t need to. Watch the first series of Money Heist instead.

I enjoyed Clarkon’s Farm. A mixture of Countryfile vs Top Gear that strangely works.

Going to assume you watched “The Boys”.

I was disappointed with the last two episodes of The Boys. They were fine but not brilliant.

Yeah, for a show that hardly puts a foot wrong ever, the last two episodes had maybe the bulk of the weak points on reflection.

I like Maeve, but I think they fluffed her arc especially, and I think Noir deserved a better end. And the heart transplant thing was silly. Felt like it was being written while they were deciding whose contract would be renewed. Putting Soldier Boy back on ice wasn’t satisfying either. And Ryan’s foreshadowed arc isn’t doing it for me either.

Still one of the best things on telly, mind.

Last edited:
I think they just created too many plot threads that they couldn’t tie up nicely in the series. So we were just left with unsatisfying hurried conclusions .

And God said to Cain another little gem of an Italian Spaghetti Western I've found.

Intrigued as it has Klaus Kinski in leading role.

The review at the top says the dark look of this film influenced Clint Eastwood Unforgiven. I'd also say it might of influenced High Plains Drifter.

Film starts with Klaus on chain gang. He is released and goes back to his town to seek revenge on those who stitched him up. He being an innocent upright man.

The scene in the quarry where the prisoners are breaking rocks says that he is a political prisoner. Reminds me other the other Italian western I reviewed here that there are reference to the Fascist period.

Like the previous film the town is run by strongman and his cowboys.

As in High Plains Drifter there is surreal element to this film. The director also did horror. It could be interpreted that Klaus is the dead coming back to revenge the wrongs done by the corrupt. Those who try to hide how they got to power. The son of the strongman has no inkling of the basis of his families power.

Klaus is well cast as the unkillable avenging angel of death. Great shots at beginning of film as he rides into town. Framed by the sunset he appears to disappear. Coming back to life in the old Indian underground graveyard.

Its almost the return of the repressed seeking vengence for untold wrongs.

The action takes place in a hurricane which makes the whole film even more surreal.

The director purportedly said this is more Sicialian than Western. Mafia and importance of family ties.

I really like these old Italian anti hero Westerns.

Lodge49 season1is on Amazon Prime in the U.K.. if you like the sound of an intriguing comedy drama mystery about a surfer who was bit by a snake mourning his father , a fraternal lodge with a mysterious bent in alchemy and a devastating critique of post industrial labour then its right up your street
Really enjoying this show. Great recommendation.

I do like a silly disaster movie, but Force of Nature isn't so bad that it's good, it's just so bad that it's bad.

Unfortunately, I'm only about halfway through and I have a terrible 'I've started so I'll finish' habit.

I’ve got Prime for a month, thanks to Prime Day and Amazon’s never ending optimism that if they just offer me one more free trial, I’ll somehow change my mind and become a regular prime subscriber when I haven’t done that in the past ten years they’ve been plugging it. Well, God loves a tryer I suppose.

So, any good movies not to be missed in my free month? I can’t be getting into series as I doubt I’ll finish them.

I’ve got Prime for a month, thanks to Prime Day and Amazon’s never ending optimism that if they just offer me one more free trial, I’ll somehow change my mind and become a regular prime subscriber when I haven’t done that in the past ten years they’ve been plugging it. Well, God loves a tryer I suppose.

So, any good movies not to be missed in my free month? I can’t be getting into series as I doubt I’ll finish them.

Have you seen Parasite?

Back
Top Bottom