Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

Halfway through Gen V, and we're quite enjoying it. Different vibe to the parent show, and despite the despicable all pervasive corporate social media commentary you actually end up invested in the characters. Well, some of them. Lizzie Broadway is an absolute standout. More so than most characters in The Boys, imho.

It'll probably go off the rails over the latter half, but so far... so good.

Cheers - just finished S4 of The Boys - will give Gen V a look.

Hopefully they’ve put a bit more effort into the political stuff, but that’s a minor gripe.

Just finished Them season 2.

Disturbing and plays out against a background of the LA racist cops in the 90s. Which is the "Them" I'm guessing.

The leads are fantastic and it's great to see the legendary Pam Grier as well.

The first 4 episodes of season 1 of Twin Peaks.

Wow, this really takes me back.

90s murder mystery set in the Pacific Northwest. The homecoming queen of a small town is found dead and the FBI are interested. Lots of quirky characters and atmospheric shots. It's chilling, cheesy, moving and ground breaking.

Even after all this time, Sarah Palmer's visions still send a shiver down the spine.

The first 4 episodes of season 1 of Twin Peaks.

Wow, this really takes me back.

90s murder mystery set in the Pacific Northwest. The homecoming queen of a small town is found dead and the FBI are interested. Lots of quirky characters and atmospheric shots. It's chilling, cheesy, moving and ground breaking.

Even after all this time, Sarah Palmer's visions still send a shiver down the spine.
I must give this another go. When it came out I was a hormonal teen with little interest in seminal groundbreaking television. And being still in Spain I saw it dubbed.

No dubbed film or series is ever desirable, but something like Twin Peaks will be particularly wasted when watching dubbed.

I must give this another go. When it came out I was a hormonal teen with little interest in seminal groundbreaking television. And being still in Spain I saw it dubbed.

No dubbed film or series is ever desirable, but something like Twin Peaks will be particularly wasted when watching dubbed.

It may seem like old hat to contemporary viewers, but such an influence on everything from The Killing to X Files to Desperate Housewives and so on.

Season 2 is even more out there and wasn't for everyone but I loved it at the time.

Hopefully Amazon will eventually do season 3 which is supposed to be a real event.

Batman Caped Crusader is a great extension to the 90s animated series. But for their talk of being unrestrained by the children's TV censors, it really doesn't bring anything new to the Batman universe. It's good, it's worth watching if you liked B:TAS, but I feel like it could have been more.

I might have said this in the past because it annoys me as fuck, but why would Prime think it worthwhile to publish audience ratings for a given film or series based on literally a handful of votes? The other day actually we saw something or other having a 5/5 star rating, based on one vote.

Basically, get something uploaded to Prime Video, have all your mates give it a top review, and enjoy a rare 100% ratings👍

Why not just ignore the ratings altogether?
Oh I most definitely do, but don’t you think is indescribably pisspoor for any streaming service, let alone the one run by the all-conquering mega rich corporation that has pretty much taken over the world commerce-wise, to think it’s in any way logical, professional, or good optics to run a multibillion streaming service aiming to conquer all other platforms and purporting to be the destination for quality content to publish ratings based on a single fucking vote?

No better than those ‘You the Jury!’ Sun newspaper telephone polls of old in which readers were informed 98% of their army of readers had phoned in to express their opposition to mass immigration.

It’s laughably amateurish to an incredible degree for a corporation of that calibre. But I guess they’re so fucking loaded they’re not bothered with such trivial matters as bothering to present a barely professional-looking interface.

Can’t say it bothers me as I’d not even noticed that Prime displayed star ratings until you pointed it out
It doesn’t bother me (or more importantly, will influence me) as to their assessment of a given film, because even when millions of votes are cast we all know in this day and age, internet orchestrated campaigns by alt-right knucledraggers can distort any popular opinion on anything. But still, publishing audience ratings based on the votes of a handful of people is not just completely useless as a reliable indicator, but a fucking embarrassment and insult to our intelligence. I know it is completely inconsequential, but still…

I just switched over to the Prime app, and it took me about ten seconds to find this:

Six people out of a global subscriber audience of tens of millions think it’s a five-star movie. How could they possibly be wrong?

Even the Daily Sport would be embarrassed to peddle such nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom