Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

Them: The Scare. The second season of an anthology pseudo horror crime drama series that isn’t really horror but great gritty drama.

Halfway through, and excellent. Apparently some viewers have complained that it is not scary at all, seemingly because someone had decided to promote this as a terrifying horror show.

It isn’t, and all the better for it. There is a small element of it, but this is in effect a greatly written mystery crime graphic cop show that explores such other themes as racism and misogyny in 1980s America not just experienced by African Americans on the street but institutionally in the police force by black female detectives too.

Very good writing indeed. Recommended, and no need to watch S1 first as it’s not related in any indispensable way.

Them: The Scare. The second season of an anthology pseudo horror crime drama series that isn’t really horror but great gritty drama.

Halfway through, and excellent. Apparently some viewers have complained that it is not scary at all, seemingly because someone had decided to promote this as a terrifying horror show.

It isn’t, and all the better for it. There is a small element of it, but this is in effect a greatly written mystery crime graphic cop show that explores such other themes as racism and misogyny in 1980s America not just experienced by African Americans on the street but institutionally in the police force by black female detectives too.

Very good writing indeed. Recommended, and no need to watch S1 first as it’s not related in any indispensable way.
Oh, hope this is on our Amazon. The first series was disturbing, got a bit of a Jordan Peele vibe from it.

Oh, hope this is on our Amazon. The first series was disturbing, got a bit of a Jordan Peele vibe from it.
Weirdly my OH and I remember almost nothing at all of S1 other than we liked it.

This one is not OTT disturbing, pretty much in line with other high profile gritty modern crime 18-cert crime/ psychological horror shows.

I found it too disturbing. Never finished it once things got proper nasty. Not that it wasn't well done, but not what I was in the mood for.

Zone of Interest is a hell of a film.

I'll give it another go on your rec. I binned it after about 20 minutes because I didn't like the style.

It might have got off on the wrong foot with me because whenever I see something to be "multi award winning" or "critically acclaimed" I'm usually prejudiced against it.

I'll give it another go on your rec. I binned it after about 20 minutes because I didn't like the style.

It might have got off on the wrong foot with me because whenever I see something to be "multi award winning" or "critically acclaimed" I'm usually prejudiced against it.

You need to hear it properly. It’s all about the background noise.

Regular domestic bliss set against the backdrop of absolute horror that you can only just about hear.

Headphones or decent speakers recommended. Normal telly speakers will not do it justice.

Finished season 1 last week. Absolutely loved it, it's got the Lynch vibe and Brolin and Poots are excellent. As long as season 2 doesn't do a Wayward Pines and undo all the good work ...
Just finished season 2, and delighted to report it didn't do a Wayward Pines.

Episode 4, in particular, was so good. Surprised the show is so under the radar (currently).

The Boys S4 is back this Friday I think, unless the US is releasing it before the rest of the world.
I’m going to have to whizz through Gen V first. I only watched the first episode when it came out, but got waylaid and forgot to finish the rest. I thought it wouldn’t have much to do with the events and characters of The Boys, but have just learned that this is not the case at all, so better watch that first.

Those who like rom-coms will like Four Weddings and a Funeral- the TV series. The other half watched it, and even though it’s not my kind of subject I thought it was pretty decent within the romcom genre.
You know, I'd never actually watched it before and was surprised about how much I enjoyed it (notwithstanding the hideous poshness on display throughout).

My Lady Jane. A Tudor fantasy comedy series. Very silly also rather easy watching funny escapism fodder so far :)

It's certainly not as clever as it thinks it is, but entertaining enough that I watched a few back to back on my day off. I'm in favour of fluffy things for lounging about and doing bugger all, and it fits the bill.

It's certainly not as clever as it thinks it is, but entertaining enough that I watched a few back to back on my day off. I'm in favour of fluffy things for lounging about and doing bugger all, and it fits the bill.
Yeah, it’s certainly fit for purpose as a fluffy feel-good series to pass the time.

I don’t know if you are a fan of Inside No. 9 and if so have watched the finale episode the other week. But if you have, you’ll know what I mean when I say this series reminds me of one of the main themes of that episode :D

Might look that up then - like a bit of escapism

I enjoyed 'The Greatest Show Never Made' - the self-re-enactment format was a bit odd and jarring initially but it's worth sticking with all 3 parts. I'm dying to talk to someone about it as it's such an odd story and the guy behind the reality-show-that-never was is such a peculiar character.

Halfway through Gen V, and we're quite enjoying it. Different vibe to the parent show, and despite the despicable all pervasive corporate social media commentary you actually end up invested in the characters. Well, some of them. Lizzie Broadway is an absolute standout. More so than most characters in The Boys, imho.

It'll probably go off the rails over the latter half, but so far... so good.

This is on Prime but I think it’s on Sky too.
It’s wonderful. Watch it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom