Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

Try as I might, I’m finding S2 of Picard all over the place. S1 might not have been vintage but at least it was watchable with a reasonably coherent plot. The whole Picard psychoanalysis theme, wtf?

Try as I might, I’m finding S2 of Picard all over the place. S1 might not have been vintage but at least it was watchable with a reasonably coherent plot. The whole Picard psychoanalysis theme, wtf?
Are you up to date with it? I just watched today’s episode and it maintains the sense that every episode has been written by a different person, and none of them have been allowed to read what any of the others have written.

Are you up to date with it? I just watched today’s episode and it maintains the sense that every episode has been written by a different person, and none of them have been allowed to read what any of the others have written.
No today’s m, about to start. But last week was fucking shite and something that seemed completely unnecessary to Picard’s life story in the entire ST universe.

No today’s m, about to start. But last week was fucking shite and something that seemed completely unnecessary to Picard’s life story in the entire ST universe.
Well, you can look forward to another random 40 minutes or whatever it is of stuff that seemingly has no relevance to anything else.

Nearly finished Hacks and it’s actually pretty damn good, highly recommended.

Hacks is bloody fantastic, loved it.
Brilliant bunch of characters, great watching their relationships develop, lots of toe-curlingly nasty situations, lots of heart. Superb.

Even though it's got quite silly and trite, the Technicolor world of Mrs. Maisel still cheers me up. It's so pretty.

Not a recommendation, but a question. How do I enable subtitles on Amazon Prime when watching on a laptop. I was getting a bit fed up of Amazon being rubbish and not having subtitles available and wondered why, so I Googled. And I came across something about instructions for people to enable them when watching with a Roku firestick. So now I'm wondering if what I want to watch does have subtitles after all, I just need to do something to enable them? I'm just streaming online with my laptop, no firestick or Chrome thingymajig or whatever. Any suggestions?

Not a recommendation, but a question. How do I enable subtitles on Amazon Prime when watching on a laptop. I was getting a bit fed up of Amazon being rubbish and not having subtitles available and wondered why, so I Googled. And I came across something about instructions for people to enable them when watching with a Roku firestick. So now I'm wondering if what I want to watch does have subtitles after all, I just need to do something to enable them? I'm just streaming online with my laptop, no firestick or Chrome thingymajig or whatever. Any suggestions?
Go into the cogwheel, click settings, and then subtitles menu. I've just tried it on the laptop and it doesn't suggest it's not available.

If you care for this sort of thing, Mike and Rich really nail the problems with the series in this and the subsequent videos. From the major things line a failure of tone to the smaller things like: why would Q single out this random bunch of people who actually barely know each other to be the ones that remember their parallel universe lives?

If you don’t care for this sort of thing then I wouldn’t bother.

Eastern (AKA Ruthless) on FreeVee (ex-IMDbTV)

Impressive little Polish fable, set in a modern day-adjacent world with highly ritualised, bureaucratised blood feuds as a mechanism for social control. Two young daughters caught up in one such vendetta try to go off piste.

Has anyone watched Outer Range? We saw it featured in the top of screen banner but ignored it because we find the Western genre deeply unappealing, but I’ve just seen the synopsis online and it appears to be much more of a sci-fi thriller than a Western…

Has anyone watched Outer Range? We saw it featured in the top of screen banner but ignored it because we find the Western genre deeply unappealing, but I’ve just seen the synopsis online and it appears to be much more of a sci-fi thriller than a Western…
I saw the first two. It’s… slow. Lots of ideas but lacks the charisma of something like Twin Peaks or S1 of True Detective (which are what it seems to be aiming at).

Not sure I’ll bother with the rest.

I saw the first two. It’s… slow. Lots of ideas but lacks the charisma of something like Twin Peaks or S1 of True Detective (which are what it seems to be aiming at).

Mmm… I can get into that kind of slow burning series if the premise or genre is appealing enough, but what you describe sounds like the kind of thing my OH will lose interest in before it gets good enough.

Still, we’re up to date with everything we’ve been watching on every platform/ channel, and nothing appeals so might give it a go.

I watched Ten Percent - the remake of Call My Agent! - which despite apparently being good never made it to the top of my list.

Amusing, very “middle class luvvies”, but that’s a pretty recognisable world. Some of the star turns were good. David Harewood and Dominic West had fun stories.

Written by the same guy who wrote Twenty-twelve and W1A, which I could tell from the first meeting scene. It’s a very stylised “right, yes”, “yes, but actually no, because… no” dialogue pattern that is almost how people speak but isn’t really. And pretty much all the characters speak like it, just as they did in the previous two shows.

I watched Ten Percent - the remake of Call My Agent! - which despite apparently being good never made it to the top of my list.

Amusing, very “middle class luvvies”, but that’s a pretty recognisable world. Some of the star turns were good. David Harewood and Dominic West had fun stories.

Written by the same guy who wrote Twenty-twelve and W1A, which I could tell from the first meeting scene. It’s a very stylised “right, yes”, “yes, but actually no, because… no” dialogue pattern that is almost how people speak but isn’t really. And pretty much all the characters speak like it, just as they did in the previous two shows.
I started to watch it and it was just about watchable, but then I paused after fifteen minutes and saw the first episode was an hour+ long, and quit it. Such comedy series are best served in 20-30 minute instalments even if great, and this thing felt too mediocre to merit running for over an hour an episode.

Actually both my OH and I enjoying this and not finding the pace too slow to be bothersome.

I just read the reviews, which said the plotlines are recycled from the French original so there's really no point if you've already seen that. I enjoyed the original, but it does sometimes drag the melodrama out a bit. I'm a bit disappointed, because the British film industry is really nothing like the French one so I was hoping for something... new.

Bad Day for the Cut

Irish film. Farmer lives a lonely single life with his elderly mother. A quiet unassuming man who tinkers with cars and runs the farm. His mother is murdered.

Lesson - don't mess with Irish Farmers. Out comes the shotgun and he goes on blood soaked road trip to find who killed his Ma and why. On the way teaming up with a young Polish migrant worker looking for his sister.

It's an Irish Western.

Starts out as black comedy. The black humour runs through the film. It's a film also with a serious side. How the cycle of violence continues. Despite those involved starting out with the best intentions. Its a comment on the "Troubles"

He's at home at the farm and increasingly out of place as his trip takes him to the urban town.

I thought this film made in Northern Ireland was an original take on the revenge/ crime thriller genre.

Great performances all round.

Last edited:
Just watched the brand new drama action thriller The Contractor. Just about watchable. Not particularly bad but you will have seen it all before.

The first act feels like a gritty denunciation drama about the treatment of US ex-servicemen back home. Then the action arrives in second act and it’s such a copycat of the Bourne franchise I thought I was watching a remake. Even down to the European city where the action takes place, the physical look of the main character and even the limp he picks up and walks about town with after being injured in the mission. Final act feels rushed and still rather Bourne like in its set up.

5/10 I’d say.

Watched episode 1 of Barry Jenkins’ the Underground Railroad’ yesterday. As you can imagine, it’s excellent but also a gruelling watch. I think I’ll stick to one episode a week.

Back
Top Bottom