Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

Force Majeure on BFI Player. Way better than I thought it would be, loved the fixed camera angles, some excruciating scenes, excellent analysis of human behaviour. I've extended the sub for a month, paid for, cos there's so many really good films I wanna watch on there.

It was directed by Ruben Östlund, who also directed the brilliantly thought-provoking The Square. I've got a free MUBI sub to watch another of his now too.
Great film; the opening scenes of arriving in a resort are absolutely spot on. There's a (apparently) shit US remake.

Another belter directed by Ruben Östlund, on MUBI (free trial) - Involuntary. I love it when you happen across an actor or director who is consistently engaging.

Wasp. 30 minuter, felt like a play turned into a film. Like a Ken Loach mini, almost.

Also has a young Danny Dyer, in probably the best thing he's ever been in :D

Non-recommendation for new crime action comedy The Misfits. A very poor man’s hybrid of Ocean Eleven meets The Italian Job. I guess at least it’s free to watch if you’re already subscribed to Prime so you will only waste 90 minutes of your life.

Don’t know what Tim Roth is doing in it. I guess it’s easy money…

Non-recommendation for new crime action comedy The Misfits. A very poor man’s hybrid of Ocean Eleven meets The Italian Job. I guess at least it’s free to watch if you’re already subscribed to Prime so you will only waste 90 minutes of your life.

Don’t know what Tim Roth is doing in it. I guess it’s easy money…
There are a lot of those straight to video style films on prime. Tim Roth has popped up a couple of times. There was something I saw called 'the hitman's apprentice' (I think) which was just about passable.

There are a lot of those straight to video style films on prime. Tim Roth has popped up a couple of times. There was something I saw called 'the hitman's apprentice' (I think) which was just about passable.
This one might have never been intended for cinema release, but its budget must have been closer to one than to a straight to video job, at least in the traditional sense, before the age of the streaming services. Much of it is filmed on location in Abu Dhabi and it boasts plenty of expensive cars and whatnot. Then again Amazon aren’t exactly broke, and the Abu Dhabi tourism board might have well forked out towards it as well.

I've got tesco's own for now cos it's a quid for a litre carton.
I've got tesco's own for now cos it's a quid for a litre carton.
I have not tried Tesco's, but I don't shop there, their own brand stuff is almost universally not to my liking.
I do think it's important to get the right one though, the tastes vary a lot. I thought I hated oat milk but it turns out I only hate some oat milks. My current favourites are minor figures, and the co-op one. Oatly barista tastes ok, but is corporate Blackstone wank. Alpro is no no no.

Just watched Copshop on your recommendation. Thanks for that! Very enjoyable Saturday evening action film :)
Cool, well thank you for Reacher. I reckoned if you like one you would like the other. Maybe bent cops in shitty little towns will become a sub-genre.

Watched 'Shoah' about Treblinka and other camps, over 2 nights cos it's 4.5 hours long. Eye-opening. Answered some questions I'd long wondered about, emphatically so in some cases. Would recommend 100%.

Watched 'Shoah' about Treblinka and other camps, over 2 nights cos it's 4.5 hours long. Eye-opening. Answered some questions I'd long wondered about, emphatically so in some cases. Would recommend 100%.
The original is over 9 hours long. I didn’t make it all the way.

You've got 5 more hours to go:

I thought I had read somewhere that Upload had been cancelled. So I was pleasantly surprised to see today that S2 is now available.

For those unfamiliar with it, if you liked The Good Place you’re likely to like this.

Watched County Lines y/day, it's on the BFI Player.
Really grim and powerful, great acting, small glimpse into that world, how kids get sucked in, how it affects the family, how brutal that world is.

I thought I had read somewhere that Upload had been cancelled. So I was pleasantly surprised to see today that S2 is now available.

For those unfamiliar with it, if you liked The Good Place you’re likely to like this.
Excellent, I wasn't sure if we would ever see any more. I never saw anyone ever talking about it.
I'll check it out when I next have prime.
It's a weird one. On one level it's a cheesy situation drama filled with vacuous Hollywood faces, but it transcends that slightly (and even highlights it) with its darkly comic premise. Even though it stays within the boundaries of MOR feel good bouncy TV comedy, it pushes the boundaries a little and doesn't shy away from highlighting, capitalism, consumerism, class and religion.

It's one of the more interesting programs on prime that puts a mild twist on regular comedy or drama (like Kevin can fuck himself or undone).

Back
Top Bottom