Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

Excellent, I wasn't sure if we would ever see any more. I never saw anyone ever talking about it.
I'll check it out when I next have prime.
It's a weird one. On one level it's a cheesy situation drama filled with vacuous Hollywood faces, but it transcends that slightly (and even highlights it) with its darkly comic premise. Even though it stays within the boundaries of MOR feel good bouncy TV comedy, it pushes the boundaries a little and doesn't shy away from highlighting, capitalism, consumerism, class and religion.

It's one of the more interesting programs on prime that puts a mild twist on regular comedy or drama (like Kevin can fuck himself or undone).
I really enjoyed Undone but again I've never heard anyoine else mention it.

Are we talking about Undone or Upload? Two very different series, both on Prime. I know there’s a new series of Upload but perhaps Undone too?

Are we talking about Undone or Upload? Two very different series, both on Prime. I know there’s a new series of Upload but perhaps Undone too?
We are talking about both. I think it's all quite clear if you read the thread.
New series of Upload.
We also all seem to approve of Undone.
Two different series, but both on prime, both good, and both offering something a little different.

The Courier is quite a good watch — the true story of a Soviet source that is credited with providing the information that defused the Cuban Missile Crisis, and his ordinary-businessman British contact.

Last edited:
The Courier is quite a good watch — the true story of a Soviet source that is credited with providing the information that defused the Cuban Missile Crisis, and his ordinary-businessmen British contact.
Saw that the other night. An old fashioned solid film, good story pretty well told.

Last of the BFI player films before I cancel the sub - Red Road. If I wasn't already in absolute love with Andrea Arnold, I am now.

She captures the grind and desperation of poverty even better than Ken Loach. Well you do don't you, if you've lived it? And if you have the guts to create searingly honest art about it. Takes my breath away, this and Wasp.

I've been to so many parties like that, have known so many lads like that. And jfc, that sex scene - gruelling to watch yet no way you can turn away. AA unfurls the story so perfectly. Inch by inch, with mangled dialect and show-not-tell scenes. Empathy overload here.

Also, 'Cow' has turned me onto oat milk in a big way. Feel too much of a cunt to do otherwise.

Last of the BFI player films before I cancel the sub - Red Road. If I wasn't already in absolute love with Andrea Arnold, I am now.

She captures the grind and desperation of poverty even better than Ken Loach. Well you do don't you, if you've lived it? And if you have the guts to create searingly honest art about it. Takes my breath away, this and Wasp.

I've been to so many parties like that, have known so many lads like that. And jfc, that sex scene - gruelling to watch yet no way you can turn away. AA unfurls the story so perfectly. Inch by inch, with mangled dialect and show-not-tell scenes. Empathy overload here.

Also, 'Cow' has turned me onto oat milk in a big way. Feel too much of a cunt to do otherwise.
Have you seen American Honey? It’s the only one I ain’t seen of hers yet

I’m reasonably enjoying Shining Vale- a horror comedy series starring Courtney Cox and Greg Kinnear about a dysfunctional family moving to a house that turns out to be haunted. Not sure if free to all Prime subscribers or if it might be behind one of the add-on channels though.

Just watched the first episode of Hacks, a new comedy drama series about a stand up comedian trying to reverse her failing career. Very promising, and massive reviews by critics and audiences alike, so a recommendation on the evidence so far.

Prime has Jean-Claude Van Johnson up now. It's hilarious if you like that kind of thing. JCVD's whole film career being a cover for his black ops work.

Prime has Jean-Claude Van Johnson up now. It's hilarious if you like that kind of thing. JCVD's whole film career being a cover for his black ops work.
Unless you’re talking about Van Damme and decided to change his name for some reason, I’ve never heard of him.

Unless you’re talking about Van Damme and decided to change his name for some reason, I’ve never heard of him.
The programme name is Jean-Claude Van Johnson. In it Jean-Claude Van Damme was actually an assassin called Jean Claude Van Johnson using his Van Damme action films as a cover for being in various locations.

It's been up for years hasn't it?
We have different tastes. I liked the idea and was hopeful but found the show itself utterly shite. To be fair I only managed one episode, maybe it becomes hilarious later.

Reactions: Chz
The programme name is Jean-Claude Van Johnson. In it Jean-Claude Van Damme was actually an assassin called Jean Claude Van Johnson using his Van Damme action films as a cover for being in various locations.

We have different tastes. I liked the idea and was hopeful but found the show itself utterly shite. To be fair I only managed one episode, maybe it becomes hilarious later.
Ah okay. This actually reminds me of an ad for a new film I saw in the side of a bus. I am actually unsure of its title as there was so much text and main leads featured, but the one phrase that confused me was ‘Nicolas Cage is Nick Cage’ :confused:

I've been watching too much serious stuff of late and have been pursuing... for lack of a better word, fluff. I thought it was good fluff. Better than Hoff the Record.

Ah okay. This actually reminds me of an ad for a new film I saw in the side of a bus. I am actually unsure of its title as there was so much text and main leads featured, but the one phrase that confused me was ‘Nicolas Cage is Nick Cage’ :confused:
I saw the trailer for that in the cinema, looks silly and entertaining.

Eaten by Lions.

Really heartwarming, understated little film that I'm not sure anyone outside of Britain would really find funny. Loses its way a little bit in the 3rd quarter, but finishes well.

Half brothers go on a little quest to find one brother's dad.

My favourite review "A delightfully, and distinctively, British comedy, complete with outdated guesthouses, 2p arcade machines and awkward humour"

Excellent.

He looks good in the posters too. Almost as if his recent well received films have given his career a new lease of life and it has rubbed off on his personal wellbeing :)

Back
Top Bottom