Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

But why don't they just say free to prime? Or are they free even without prime? And why would they even do that? There is rather a lot of them.
No, they are not free without Prime. The whole point of Amazon Prime is that for the annual fee you pay, you get free access to the films and tv series which are on Prime. Prime is a streaming subscription service like Netflix and it's one service Amazon offers for your Prime membership.

No, they are not free without Prime. The whole point of Amazon Prime is that for the annual fee you pay, you get lots of films and tv series for free. It's a streaming subscription service like Netfli
I guess they are just free to everyone subscribed or not then.

There are quite a lot. My prime runs out soon anyway, but I guess there is quite a lot to still watch for free (I've never seen buckaroo banzai for instance) . . . And then there are all the 'free with ads' shows, I haven't tried that yet.

Last edited:
Maybe you are misunderstanding me.
I have a prime subscription at the moment so I can't check these £0 titles.
When you don't have a prime subscription there are several films and shows that say 'free to prime', but there is also the ability to buy them with a one off payment.
Others are not available free to prime subscribers at all.

I'm not talking about the 'free on prime' shows and films, I'm talking about films you have to pay for. . . However the price listed is £0.
I have not come across that, but then I don't tend to browse for stuff outside of my Prime membership. Got an example ?

I have not come across that, but then I don't tend to browse for stuff outside of my Prime membership. Got an example ?

I deleted my message because I think it was unfair to say you 'misunderstood' . The £0 films are not prime .
I can't check easily while on my tablet, but off the top of my head the dune TV series was £0 and so was buckaroo banzai.

I deleted my message because I think it was unfair to say you 'misunderstood' . The £0 films are not prime .
I can't check easily while on my tablet, but off the top of my head the dune TV series was £0 and so was buckaroo banzai.
I only have Prime in Germany. When I checked these titles on amazon.uk, without a Prime account Buckaroo Banzai is £3.49 to rent and episodes of the Dune mini series are £1.89 each.

Do you have a Free To Me tab on your tablet?
I do on my chromebook and PS4.
Buckaroo Banzai is £3.49 on my chrome book and PS4 - don’t know why yours is different. One thing I have noticed recently is that quite a few films that you pay for are free now available through IMDb TV, but with adverts. Don’t think Buckaroo Banzai is one of them though

After watching the Villeneuve film, I gave the Dune mini-series a try and I found it unwatchable. The art direction looks like a Pound Shop version of the Lynch film, the CGI is beyond terrible and the acting, especially by the far too old looking guy who plays Paul, is awful. I wouldn't even watch this for £ 0.00, I'd ask for compensation from Amazon to endure it.

Last edited:
Do you have a Free To Me tab on your tablet?
I do on my chromebook and PS4.
Buckaroo Banzai is £3.49 on my chrome book and PS4 - don’t know why yours is different. One thing I have noticed recently is that quite a few films that you pay for are free now available through IMDb TV, but with adverts. Don’t think Buckaroo Banzai is one of them though
Interesting.
Buckaroo Banzai is £3.49 to me, but when I actually click on it and take it to full page mode, that price is crossed out and it says £0. To buy was 7.99 and is now 3.99.
Have a double check.

I only have Prime in Germany. When I checked these titles on amazon.uk, without a Prime account Buckaroo Banzai is £3.49 to rent and episodes of the Dune mini series are £1.89 each.

Just did that and bought it! Had to cancel!
Huh?
OK this is what I see.
Search for it and I see this . . . .
Screenshot 2021-10-24 12.25.52.png

But if I click on it, it looks like this on the page.

Screenshot 2021-10-24 12.26.12.png

Went straight to buying it for me - what subscription do you have? Maybe there are different levels - could it be an introductory offer? I have Prime Video free cos I have Prime Delivery, but perhaps you can subscribe in other ways?

Not for me without my UK Prime account, it stays at 3.49 when I click on it.
Humm, maybe I have a £5 credit with prime or something that I can't see? I did have a £10 one a while back, but I spent it. I'm also on a free prime trial again so maybe that affects it? I don't know, but I did see another poster post up a while back about a series that was reduced to £0 for the series (but still a coupe of quid per episode) and I saw exactly the same on my account.

Why does amazon love me so much?
I get free subscriptions all the time, they seem more than happy to give me quite generous money off vouchers for the slightest complaint.
And when I take something out of my basket and leave it in the save for later bin, it quite often quickly reduces in price for a 'flash sale'.

i dunno about this free subscription stuff as I've been on Prime since before the video service - feel like a mug!

I get free subscriptions all the time, they seem more than happy to give me quite generous money off vouchers for the slightest complaint.
And when I take something out of my basket and leave it in the save for later bin, it quite often quickly reduces in price for a 'flash sale'.
Because you give them money?

Because you give them money?
I do, but so very very little. I'm certainly not a power customer and I never buy anything expensive. Most expensive thing in my basket was a laptop stand for £30. I popped it in my basket because there was £3 off, but then didn't buy it. When the £3 off vanished, I took it out and put it into 'save for later'. About half an hour later I was informed that there was a flash sale and I could buy it for £19 if I did so in the next 20 minutes. I did. I also used a £10 voucher that they inexplicably gave me when I complained that I had clicked on a free prime subscription earlier than I would have liked.
Free Prime subscription. £10 off voucher. 1/3rd off a laptop stand. . . . . and when I got it they gave me a free voucher to send off for a wireless keyboard.
I'm not kidding.

Great laptop stand too by the way.

Yeah, that last bit is standard code on a lot of sites. Its basically haggling. Always worth doing on any sales site just in case.

Well it works for me when they take a whole tenner off a £30 product and make it cheaper than all the young pretender imitations.

Yeah, it’s a good tactic. Couple of years back they were looking at variable pricing based on their estimates of people’s disposable income but it didn’t go down well so you get a lot more of this instead.

Sites are seen as tools for generating leads and they are expensive to run, so any lead converted into a profitable sale is a win - hits on margin are accepted. The knack is to do this without impacting on perception of value for money. It’s still a bit transparent what they’re up to imo.

Yeah, it’s a good tactic. Couple of years back they were looking at variable pricing based on their estimates of people’s disposable income but it didn’t go down well so you get a lot more of this instead.

Sites are seen as tools for generating leads and they are expensive to run, so any lead converted into a profitable sale is a win - hits on margin are accepted. The knack is to do this without impacting on perception of value for money. It’s still a bit transparent what they’re up to imo.
So basically something in my on line interactivity with amazon triggers them to do better sales with me? I did think it was odd that any Doctor Who DVD I showed any interest in dropped in price by about £3-5 after I looked at it.

Noticed last night that, surprisingly and without any fanfare, all the new Evangelion films, including the recently released one are free on prime.
Netflix has already been banging on about how they will be acquiring these at some point. The new one doesn't even pop up of your search for anime free to prime.

Screenshot 2021-10-25 06.49.33.png

The Green Knight. Really enjoyed it, and now would like to get my hands on a written version.

Dev Patel does funny things to me though, in a subconscious way. I can see he's a handsome chap, but chaps don't do it for me. However, every time I watch something with him in it, I have filthy dreams, with him in starring roles! It did also have Alicia Vikander in it, who I have a massive crush on, and have had since Ex Machina.

The Green Knight. Really enjoyed it, and now would like to get my hands on a written version.

Dev Patel does funny things to me though, in a subconscious way. I can see he's a handsome chap, but chaps don't do it for me. However, every time I watch something with him in it, I have filthy dreams, with him in starring roles! It did also have Alicia Vikander in it, who I have a massive crush on, and have had since Ex Machina.
Interesting. I gave it a swerve because it had such bad reviews.

Interesting. I gave it a swerve because it had such bad reviews.
I never take any notice of reviews, firstly because they may contain spoilerage (you know what I'm like!), and secondly because critics don't actually fucking make anything themselves, so I see them as pointless opinionated knobbers.

Anyhoo, I thought it was really interesting, imaginatively structured (haven't read the original so not sure how close it was to that), surreal, folk-lorey, and thought-provoking. Worth a punt.

I enjoyed Green Knight too, visually very good and I want to see it again as it's quite ambiguous. I think I worked out what was happening but i'm not familiar with the source material as such and haven't read a translation. Roughly knew the story though. I'd recommend it especially while it's free to see as it's unlike most of the formulaic stuff.

Back
Top Bottom