Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

Anyone interested in financial thrillers should give Follow The Money a go. A Danish corporate/corruption caper with some deliciously murderous characters and some decent stabs at renewable energy companies in S1, and banks in S2.

Watched the first couple of episodes of Kevin Can F**k Himself which is really quite addictive when you adapt to its format, which is both cleverly inventive and jarring. Basically it starts off as a sitcom - a really cheesy 90s style sitcom complete with canned laughter featuring a cheeky slobby husband and long suffering wife, plus neighbours. And then after each sitcom scene it switches tone to darker comedy drama, featuring the wife and her desperation at her situation. The sitcom part is a perfectly observed satire of a genre with all manner of TV tropes thrown in - while the 'real life' part is grimly funny as the wife goes through a Breaking Bad type descent towards crime, and you see the reality of small town working class American life (and the abusive relationship) behind the sitcom facade. I would really recommend this - and making yourself stick with it through the first episode, as the fakery of the two styles of TV jammed together is initially quite challenging to watch (or at least it was for me).

Watched the first couple of episodes of Kevin Can F**k Himself which is really quite addictive when you adapt to its format, which is both cleverly inventive and jarring. Basically it starts off as a sitcom - a really cheesy 90s style sitcom complete with canned laughter featuring a cheeky slobby husband and long suffering wife, plus neighbours. And then after each sitcom scene it switches tone to darker comedy drama, featuring the wife and her desperation at her situation. The sitcom part is a perfectly observed satire of a genre with all manner of TV tropes thrown in - while the 'real life' part is grimly funny as the wife goes through a Breaking Bad type descent towards crime, and you see the reality of small town working class American life (and the abusive relationship) behind the sitcom facade. I would really recommend this - and making yourself stick with it through the first episode, as the fakery of the two styles of TV jammed together is initially quite challenging to watch (or at least it was for me).
Thanks, sounds interesting

this sounds good - going to give it a try this weekend maybe

We saw the first couple last week. As you say you need to get used to the tone and it’s sudden switch. It is very good so far, although it begs the question of why the fuck did she marry him?

We saw the first couple last week. As you say you need to get used to the tone and it’s sudden switch. It is very good so far, although it begs the question of why the fuck did she marry him?
There are some oddities about the format - it doesn't feel a very realistic pairing, outside of the format of entertainment TV where the male star wil often have a younger and more attractive co-star - but I think you just have to accept the fact this is satire and it's underlining the sexist assumptions of television conventions, and not get into too deep thought about the unreality of aspects of the set-up. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the other sitcom characters in the real-life-drama part, especially the neighbour Neil and the father character - and wonder if you ever get to see Kevin himself outside of the sitcom.

That sounds extremely interesting. I hope I don't forget about it when another prime freebee comes around.

Apparently it was conceived by Rashida Jones and is specifically aimed at the Kevin James man baby middle America sit coms, so not just a kind of never mind the 'Buzzcocks' style generalisation.

Last edited:
I’ve gradually been making my way through Tales From The Loop. It’s on our collective thread Big List, after all. I still can’t decide if it’s a beautifully made collection of lovely little stories or, well, just a bit dull. Maybe it’s both at once. The fourth episode has to be the apotheosis of this. 50 minutes in which just nothing happens at all other than an old man dies and his grandson is kind of sad about it. It’s nice but it’s also, like, is that It?

I’ve gradually been making my way through Tales From The Loop. It’s on our collective thread Big List, after all. I still can’t decide if it’s a beautifully made collection of lovely little stories or, well, just a bit dull. Maybe it’s both at once. The fourth episode has to be the apotheosis of this. 50 minutes in which just nothing happens at all other than an old man dies and his grandson is kind of sad about it. It’s nice but it’s also, like, is that It?

Well paced and utterly beguiling.

Good call. The first episode is certainly interesting. And it’s original, which is a great virtue in my books, given how much identikit TV there is.

I felt exactly the same. I only made it to the end because everyone kept raving about it and how it all ended.
It's not flipping worth it.

I felt exactly the same. I only made it to the end because everyone kept raving about it and how it all ended.
It's not flipping worth it.

Tbf, when you say something isn't worth it, it's an automatic recommendation for this self :D

(Will agree that we both adored certain shows, sounds and comics from our younger days but am feeling you are a bit stuck when it comes to the 21st century entertainment... sorry...)

(Will agree that we both adored certain shows, sounds and comics from our younger days but am feeling you are a bit stuck when it comes to the 21st century entertainment... sorry...)
. . . . well I don't think that's true at all (and I have said as much before I am sure).
I have nostalgia for music, comics, films and TV from my youth, but that doesn't mean I still love it beyond the nostalgia element.

I love absolutely loads of 21st century entertainment, but I also find a lot of it a CGI drag. If anything tales from the loop is an older style of slow paced show but with better FX. More than anything else, I have far less time to waste now that I am older and have a lower tolerance for shit. Editing TV is also my real life grown up job, so when I see a badly formed/paced/edited show it irks me somewhat more than it probably would have as a teenager, as I can imagine ways of 'fixing' it.

IMDB TV free for those with Amazon Prime Video

Oh great. So they have films that used to be on Prime ad-free, and now I can watch them on IMDB with ads.
Progress!! :mad:

Free with prime
10p without

Reactions: Chz
I got round to watching the sixth of the Tales From The Loop — Parallel.

That’s the one. That’s the one that has convinced me. It’s one of the most perfect pieces of storytelling from start to finish. It paints such a powerful picture of loneliness and how a single small moment can be defining or, alternatively, missed without even noticing it. I’m glad I stuck with it so that I got to see that episode.

You bastard kabbes. Do I now really have to go back and watch it after being all 'this is good looking but slow af, I can't be arsed' and stopping after e03?

I got round to watching the sixth of the Tales From The Loop — Parallel.

That’s the one. That’s the one that has convinced me. It’s one of the most perfect pieces of storytelling from start to finish. It paints such a powerful picture of loneliness and how a single small moment can be defining or, alternatively, missed without even noticing it. I’m glad I stuck with it so that I got to see that episode.

Yeah, that's a good one.

You bastard kabbes. Do I now really have to go back and watch it after being all 'this is good looking but slow af, I can't be arsed' and stopping after e03?
Well, they’re largely standalone and episode 6 isn’t really related to episodes 1 to 5, so not really. It deserves full attention, though.

Well, they’re largely standalone and episode 6 isn’t really related to episodes 1 to 5, so not really. It deserves full attention, though.
OK, I'll put it with Carnivale and the last series of Deadwood on my 'things I should really get round to watching' list.

Kevin can Fuck Himself is great - the first episode is odd - neither very funny nor very dramatic, but they do have a lot to set up. Once you get stuck into the series it's really good though.
Just started (got another free subscription).
Only on episode one but it's an intriguing set up.

Rosenkrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead has a similar premise, as in it expands upon two of the players from Hamlet while they are waiting in the wings.

Back
Top Bottom