Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

Watching the first now.

So far its like a bland tasteless Lord of the Rings so its a good fit for the book.

Stylistically the casting is really going to fucking upset the usual crowd, its ok though. Only really negative casting so far is Padan who isn't in his snazzy coat and Rosamund Pike is playing Rosamund Pike as usual, while Lan being the stereotypical quiet Asian samurai type is just rather unfortunate compared to his book style Aragorn vibe..
Its small stuff that i can live with so far, :)

I have never read the books so have nothing to compare it with. But never mind a poor man’s GoT, so far the first episode feels like a poor man’s The Witcher, which is not much of an endorsement. Still, very early days of course.

It doesn’t bode well for me that one of the young men fin this episode, who looks like is going to turn out to be one of the main male characters if not the main protagonist, keeps reminding me of Anakin Skywalker at his most Attack of the Clones detestable, but to be fair to the series that’s entirely on me :D

Reactions: Chz
I have never read the books so have nothing to compare it with. But never mind a poor man’s GoT, so far the first episode feels like a poor man’s The Witcher, which is not much of an endorsement. Still, very early days of course.

It doesn’t bode well for me that one of the young men fin this episode, who looks like is going to turn out to be one of the main male characters if not the main protagonist, keeps reminding me of Anakin Skywalker at his most Attack of the Clones detestable, but to be fair to the series that’s entirely on me :D

Are you talking about Wheel Of Time?
I might give it a look in a bit.
That and the Green Knight..

Watched the 3 available episodes of wheel of time. I'd say it is closer to lord of the rings than game of thrones. It's watchable enough so far, not great but i will watch next episode next week. Never read books so can't compare it to them.

Dave Made a Maze manages to be both absolutely brilliant yet deserving of a much better script and actors all at the same time.

I think I love it but damn it's odd.
I had a similar thought, although it was good to see Warren from Buffy crop up in something.

In the final analysis, I think I didn’t love it but at least it was original. It felt like they wanted to construct a big metaphor for something but then didn’t know what they wanted to actually make a metaphor for, so just made something that felt like it should be a metaphor and hoped the audience would fill in the gaps.

Brilliant set design though.

I had a similar thought, although it was good to see Warren from Buffy crop up in something.

In the final analysis, I think I didn’t love it but at least it was original. It felt like they wanted to construct a big metaphor for something but then didn’t know what they wanted to actually make a metaphor for, so just made something that felt like it should be a metaphor and hoped the audience would fill in the gaps.

I think it's the originality and the idea I love, it's delightfully playful but it just doesn't go anywhere to exciting or deep enough to be a classic.

I could imagine playing it as an RPG one shot and that makes me happy

Are we also bothering to mention the mediocre? I watched the 2019 movie Escape Room (not the 2017 one of the same name). It’s fine. Cube meets Saw and now you know it without even needing to watch it. The set design is done well, the acting isn’t shit, the storyline is nonexistent and the characters are irritating archetypes. 7/10 as a genre film if you’re looking for that sort of thing. 5/10 as a general film in its own right.

Last edited:
Are we also bothering to mention the mediocre? I watched the 2019 movie Escape Room (not the 2017 one of the same name). It’s fine. Cube meets Saw and now you know it without even needing to watch it. The set design is done well, the acting isn’t shit, the storyline is nonexistent and the characters are irritating archetypes. 7/10 as a genre film if you’re looking for that sort of things. 5/10 as a general film in its own right.

Good to mention the mediocre. Sometimes when my brain is fried I really enjoy a mediocre film.

Guns Akimbo - reassuringly mediocre fun.

Dave Made a Maze manages to be both absolutely brilliant yet deserving of a much better script and actors all at the same time.

I think I love it but damn it's odd.
I agree. . . Except I wouldn't say it was brilliant. It misses the mark because some of the actors are terrible, (most notably Dave himself), the script isn't tight enough, and some of the direction and shots are really lacking. Great idea though, and I love so many aspects of it. So much more could be forgiven with a tighter shooting script, or better/quirkyer/more thoughtful/fleshed our acting performances.
I also think there is a far better film in there somewhere that could be found with better editing.

Good to mention the mediocre. Sometimes when my brain is fried I really enjoy a mediocre film.

Guns Akimbo - reassuringly mediocre fun.

Guns akimbo is well below mediocre. Without Harry Potter it wouldn't even be a half decent 80s straight to video flick.

I feel that people who are interested in films beyond them being just bubblegum entertainment should actually watch Dave Made a Maze. They should do so prewarned that the acting and script are both poor (which would normally be reasons to well avoid something!). But it is interesting enough in concept to make you dream of how it could be so much better.

I feel that people who are interested in films beyond them being just bubblegum entertainment should actually watch Dave Made a Maze. They should do so prewarned that the acting and script are both poor (which would normally be reasons to well avoid something!). But it is interesting enough in concept to make you dream of how it could be so much better.
Indeed. I am not sad I watched it, just sad that it could have been so so so much more.

. . . . and sorry, I didn't see this post. I basically say the same thing but at least wanted to and was perhaps less eloquent.

Back into Prime, so Green Knight and Saint Maud over the weekend.

Just noticed there's a film based on the Amanda Knox case on there, from the director of Cannibal Holocaust. :facepalm:

'jean claude van johnson' was right up my alley, weird meta comedy in which JCVD is actually an undercover agent

now im on 'the boys' which is about bent superheroes ... finished season1 and the bit with the dolphin and slowmo spice girls was fooking ace ... worried season 2 will go downhill though

'jean claude van johnson' was right up my alley, weird meta comedy in which JCVD is actually an undercover agent

now im on 'the boys' which is about bent superheroes ... finished season1 and the bit with the dolphin and slowmo spice girls was fooking ace ... worried season 2 will go downhill though

Don't worry, S2 of The Boys is all good. Can we have S3 already? :D

Back
Top Bottom