Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

I never take any notice of reviews, firstly because they may contain spoilerage (you know what I'm like!), and secondly because critics don't actually fucking make anything themselves, so I see them as pointless opinionated knobbers.

Anyhoo, I thought it was really interesting, imaginatively structured (haven't read the original so not sure how close it was to that), surreal, folk-lorey, and thought-provoking. Worth a punt.
Well normally I might not. It's just it was panned so badly right across the board. I didn't read the reviews though. I thought/assumed it was some amazon original fluff along the lines of Netflix's 'Bright' (which I also have not watched due to it being quite badly panned).

Well normally I might not. It's just it was panned so badly right across the board. I didn't read the reviews though. I thought/assumed it was some amazon original fluff along the lines of Netflix's 'Bright' (which I also have not watched due to it being quite badly panned).
Give it a go then, and report back :)

Was it? It got pretty good reviews mostly.

On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 88% based on 260 reviews, with an average rating of 8/10. The site's critics consensus reads, "The Green Knight honors and deconstructs its source material in equal measure, producing an absorbing adventure that casts a fantastical spell."[35] On Metacritic, it has a weighted average score of 85 out of 100 based on 49 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".[36]Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "C+" on an A+ to F scale.[31]

Was it? It got pretty good reviews mostly.

On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 88% based on 260 reviews, with an average rating of 8/10. The site's critics consensus reads, "The Green Knight honors and deconstructs its source material in equal measure, producing an absorbing adventure that casts a fantastical spell."[35] On Metacritic, it has a weighted average score of 85 out of 100 based on 49 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".[36]Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "C+" on an A+ to F scale.[31]
Really? Am I thinking of something completely different then????

I read good reviews, dunno where you read yours.

I tried Preacher a couple of times before, but never got to the end of the first episode. Those accents, the hair. It just seemed very, very, silly.

Somehow I tried again ten days ago and it is indeed very silly, in fact it got much sillier, but wtf? It’s absurd but thoroughly entertaining nonsense. Although the hitler stuff is borderline offensive. Halfway through series three now, though I may slow down my consumption as mrsb is back from a week away.

I tried Preacher a couple of times before, but never got to the end of the first episode. Those accents, the hair. It just seemed very, very, silly.

Somehow I tried again ten days ago and it is indeed very silly, in fact it got much sillier, but wtf? It’s absurd but thoroughly entertaining nonsense. Although the hitler stuff is borderline offensive. Halfway through series three now, though I may slow down my consumption as mrsb is back from a week away.
Preacher is excellent :D

I found it a real struggle at first, especially after the comic. I thought they must have decided to stay in one place to save on money. I remember thinking it got it's act together in season 2, however they do keep forgetting about the road trip.
It doesn't feel quite finished, but there were some things I liked more than the comic, such as the toned down macho bullshit and misogyny.
As time went on I also found I didn't hate the casting of Custer as much as I did when it started (and I really hated him at the start).

. . . . . The family and I have just started the third evangelion film. Blimey. Shifts up a gear. Then they play piano for hours . . . We are doing only half a film a day so we can all watch it together (I have to finish work first and by half way through daughter has to go to bed).

Looks good.

I have Disney+ at the moment, though.
I liked it. Thought it would be some horrible CGI lotr style trash, but far from it.
Probably (almost certainly in fact) the best 'Amazon Original' film I have seen. Most thoughtfully put together and very nicely done.
More of this sort of thing please.

After seven episodes of Kevin can fuck himself, I think it’s actually one of the best things I’ve seen. It transcends mere storytelling. It uses the very cultural assumptions about how television works to create an emotional resonance beyond mere script and acting. It creates a character portrait of emotional control and the desperation of being in a controlling relationship by adapting the whole environment — visible, auditory, colour palette, speech patterns, scenery — around the nature of that control. It took about five episodes to really get just how dark and bleak it really is. The way they very gradually unfold the nature of its interrelationships is genius. It’s definitely not for everyone but if it’s for you, it’s really for you.

After seven episodes of Kevin can fuck himself, I think it’s actually one of the best things I’ve seen. It transcends mere storytelling. It uses the very cultural assumptions about how television works to create an emotional resonance beyond mere script and acting. It creates a character portrait of emotional control and the desperation of being in a controlling relationship by adapting the whole environment — visible, auditory, colour palette, speech patterns, scenery — around the nature of that control. It took about five episodes to really get just how dark and bleak it really is. The way they very gradually unfold the nature of its interrelationships is genius. It’s definitely not for everyone but if it’s for you, it’s really for you.

Yeah, I fucking love it. Not an easy watch, but it is so, so good.

Do you get more used to the sitcom bits as the series progresses? I totally get it’s not meant to be funny and is part of the basic premise, but after two episodes I still found it extremely annoying.

Do you get more used to the sitcom bits as the series progresses? I totally get it’s not meant to be funny and is part of the basic premise, but after two episodes I still found it extremely annoying.
I think the sitcom world is designed to be abrasive and jarring… like nails on a blackboard. This makes us, the audience, experience for ourselves her feelings of torment and increasingly brittle tolerance.

So no, I don’t think you do get used to it. It’s relentlessly awful - and it needs to be.

I think the sitcom world is designed to be abrasive and jarring… like nails on a blackboard. This makes us, the audience, experience for ourselves her feelings of torment and increasingly brittle tolerance.

So no, I don’t think you do get used to it. It’s relentlessly awful - and it needs to be.
Starting ep 3 in view of the positive reviews. I am sure I can live with the sitcom bits, and credit where it’s due for its original format.

I also like the main lead woman, and love the fact she was down to her last couple of hundred dollars and literally about to quit acting due to the lack of offers, and on that week she was offered the Shitt’s Creek role :)

Completely this.

Plus, as you start to see Kevin for what he really is, the sitcom world recreates for us the feeling that she has — everybody else just thinks he’s this sweet, funny, friendly guy, whereas actually he’s manipulative and controlling. She is helpless precisely because others can’t see it. The very point is that the portrayal of him on screen is the opposite of a monster — and he almost certainly just thinks of himself as a bumbling fun guy — but his actions nevertheless are still what they are. The consequences are there, no matter how light-hearted he comes across. His uncaring thoughtlessness doesn’t disappear by being wrapped in a sitcom act. It’s a hyperreality that somehow makes him more sinister, not less.

Just watched the wheel of time, only meant to watch one episode as i was dubious ended up watching the next two as well but they seem to have made an effort with this and I will keep watching i like it so far, not exactly like the books but worth a glance if you are a fan.

Completely this.

Plus, as you start to see Kevin for what he really is, the sitcom world recreates for us the feeling that she has — everybody else just thinks he’s this sweet, funny, friendly guy, whereas actually he’s manipulative and controlling. She is helpless precisely because others can’t see it. The very point is that the portrayal of him on screen is the opposite of a monster — and he almost certainly just thinks of himself as a bumbling fun guy — but his actions nevertheless are still what they are. The consequences are there, no matter how light-hearted he comes across. His uncaring thoughtlessness doesn’t disappear by being wrapped in a sitcom act. It’s a hyperreality that somehow makes him more sinister, not less.

I think it's interesting how it peels it back, it starts off with him losing the savings which is awful but it happens maybe it's a one off, then by the end it turns out he's phoned the police because he's not had dinner, and everything she's ever done for herself has been hampered and you see just why she's finally said fuck it.

Just watched the wheel of time, only meant to watch one episode as i was dubious ended up watching the next two as well but they seem to have made an effort with this and I will keep watching i like it so far, not exactly like the books but worth a glance if you are a fan.
Yeah gonna try that tonight after work. Reviews i've seen are not exactly raving about it but will decide for myself later.

Book wankers do that with every adaption. I've never read them so new to the story.
Been a fan of the books since the 80s i was worried I'd be one :D but did enjoy it ,there are differances but not enough to bother me, yet. Hopefully never. Though I'm going for a re-read at the end of this series. After the awful adaption of the shannara books and whatever the hell they did to the Watch books ,this was a relief and was watchable, and to be fair theres 14 chunky books to adapt, they are going to leave some stuff out and combine others for the sake of visual storytelling ,

Last edited:
No time to die (new bond film) is now available on uk amazon prime although unfortunately not included in your subscription and costs £15.99 to watch. I did see a pirate copy at a mates last weekend but i was a bit pissed so i wouldn't mind watching it again sober!

Anyway will do wheel of time first.

No time to die (new bond film) is now available on uk amazon prime although unfortunately not included in your subscription and costs £15.99 to watch. I did see a pirate copy at a mates last weekend but i was a bit pissed so i wouldn't mind watching it again sober!

Anyway will do wheel of time first.

So Amazon want more to watch at home than it costs to see it in a cinema with plush seats, 4K laser projection and super-fancy sound?
I hope a load of people nick it from them.

So Amazon want more to watch at home than it costs to see it in a cinema with plush seats, 4K laser projection and super-fancy sound?
I hope a load of people nick it from them.
Personally i'm not risking cinemas just yet (despite being double jabbed). It is a bit pricey for a stream though. It was on usa streaming last weekend so i think quite a few pirates are up now if you are into the torrent thing.

Watching the first now.

So far its like a bland tasteless Lord of the Rings so its a good fit for the book.

Stylistically the casting is really going to fucking upset the usual crowd, its ok though. Only really negative casting so far is Padan who isn't in his snazzy coat and Rosamund Pike is playing Rosamund Pike as usual, while Lan being the stereotypical quiet Asian samurai type is just rather unfortunate compared to his book style Aragorn vibe..

Back
Top Bottom