Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

Watched Shazam.

Quite childish and seems generally aimed at a young audience, however it does look like it was attempting to please an older audience too. I don't think it worked, and the odd swear word and mildly gruesome bits feel rather out of place.
Probably OK from 13-16
It's not bad though, just a bit laboured at times.

Far far better than any other DC film I have seen though.

Ironically I thought the only semi-decent episodes were the two featuring markedly lesser high profile actors than the rest.

Still not very good, unfortunately.
I agree.
The first story did seem to promise something a bit more interesting, but then went and did a fucking 'back to the future'

Just watched The Man With the Iron Fists. Never heard of it before. Was it a flop?
Star studded marshal arts flick in the vein of mental low budget chinese films, but instead of one or two wacky flight gimmicks, it has millions. It's an absolute mess story wise and reeks of a vanity project even before you realise RZA wrote, produced and directed it and stars in it as the hero.

I'm quite enjoying Red Oaks at the moment. I'm only on episode three though so maybe it will go to shit.
Not normally my kind of thing at all. Maybe I just started watching it at the right time with suitably low expectations.
Kind of feels like it would have made more sense to take a small chunk of the best of it and make it a movie.

So, these are both to hire, but I didn't know where else to put them. For clarity: these are not free!

Saint Maud
Possessor

Both really excellent bits of film-making, in the strictest sense. These aren't just stories told through the medium of film, these could only ever be film. Very different psychological horror films, they are both a brilliant mix of sound, photography and performance. Fantastic.
Saint Maud is currently free / included in the Prime membership by the way and it's really rather brilliant.

Not the one I read
Here's the one I read

But just found this sneer piece, which is obviously the one you read

Finished red oaks. I think I really liked it, but can't say why. It was all very nice despite the drama.
It finished on episode 6 in a rather hilarious manner; it was like halfway through the episode someone off camera rushed in and said "shit, we're cancelled, let's wrap this all up in 10 minutes". You can imagine this guy beside the camera, rolling his arms around and pointing at his watch, "ok, that's wrapped that plot point up, NEXT!!!!"

Thanks for that, if you hadn’t said anything I’d have given it a wide berth. Instead, we gave it a go and you’re right, it’s brilliant.
Isn't it!

The other cast were great too - Kaleb, Lisa, Cheerful Charlie and of course Gerald. Clarksons face when he was chatting to him creased me up every time.

Just watching that Chris Pratt 'Tomorrow War' time travel aliens film they have been trailing on Prime.
As predicted it's utter shite.
I've not gotten to the end yet, but it's so uninspired, yet somehow has so much money thrown at it.
Usual CGI alien types. Time travel rules that are not properly thought out, and basically just straight up boring, with no twists as such. Anything that might be considered a 'twist' or 'interesting plot point' isn't because it is there purely to drive the script in a convenient direction.

Ah, now it is just finishing up with a hugely convenient death.

I wish films would not write themselves out of interesting moral dilemmas. Anyway I suppose I should wait until the end.

Why is he not being de-briefed? Why is he trying to figure this out on his own at home?

Just watching that Chris Pratt 'Tomorrow War' time travel aliens film they have been trailing on Prime.
I've not gotten to the end yet, but it's so uninspired, yet somehow has so much money thrown at it.
Usual CGI alien types. Time travel rules that are not properly thought out, and basically just straight up boring, with no twists as such. Anything that might be considered a 'twist' or 'interesting plot point' isn't because it is there purely to drive the script in a convenient direction.

I wish films would not write themselves out of interesting moral dilemmas. Anyway I suppose I should wait until the end.

Why is he not being de-briefed? Why is he trying to figure this out on his own at home?

Cheers for the tip - will give it a miss.

Yes, I watched Clarksons farm after reading these posts and now know about 1000% more about farming than I did previously. It does have some of the usual, predictable clarkson pratfalls and "edgy" comments but there's a lot of good in it.

Yes, I watched Clarksons farm after reading these posts and now know about 1000% more about farming than I did previously. It does have some of the usual, predictable clarkson pratfalls and "edgy" comments but there's a lot of good in it.
I watched the first one and I think the verdict is still out for me.
Certainly the first 20 minutes had me ready to switch off. The usual endless 'coming up' bollocks, then some regular set up for TV bollocks. However when it got going, there was actually an insight into farming. As someone who makes TV it smacks really badly of mostly being made up of various pre scripted set ups, and if it isn't . . boy did they make a lot of expensive work for themselves (the top gear special type things are all totally made up and pre scripted).
However, you can't really make up the weather, and it is actually quite interesting to hear about farming. Clarkson at least doesn't hide that he is the clueless (but thinks he knows better) city twat.

I watched the first one and I think the verdict is still out for me.
Certainly the first 20 minutes had me ready to switch off. The usual endless 'coming up' bollocks, then some regular set up for TV bollocks. However when it got going, there was actually an insight into farming. As someone who makes TV it smacks really badly of mostly being made up of various pre scripted set ups, and if it isn't . . boy did they make a lot of expensive work for themselves (the top gear special type things are all totally made up and pre scripted).
However, you can't really make up the weather, and it is actually quite interesting to hear about farming. Clarkson at least doesn't hide that he is the clueless (but thinks he knows better) city twat.

The set ups are jarring when set against the interesting non scripted stuff.

I was surprised by how good it was and how much I learnt about farming.

Watched this last night. Mrs SI thought it was great, an enjoyable "Sunday night movie". I thought it was a confused mess. It didn't seem to have any idea what it wanted to be or say, kept promoting emotional responses it hadn't earned and was way too long. Also borrowed heavily from several much better films. Won't be watching it again or recommending it. (Effects were good, mind.)

Watched this last night. Mrs SI thought it was great, an enjoyable "Sunday night movie". I thought it was a confused mess. It didn't seem to have any idea what it wanted to be or say, kept promoting emotional responses it hadn't earned and was way too long. Also borrowed heavily from several much better films. Won't be watching it again or recommending it. (Effects were good, mind.)

You are right, Mrs Sl is wrong. I laughed quite a bit through it, but not where I think the filmmakers intended it. I thought it was utter bilge, so much so I couldn't even watch it in one sitting. We took a break before the final 40 mins. Should have not bothered going back.

Oh and the use of music to tell you how to feel was at an all time high in this one. There's a really interesting study to be done about what happens to these sorts of films if you take away the music.

Back
Top Bottom