Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

Watched this last night. Mrs SI thought it was great, an enjoyable "Sunday night movie". I thought it was a confused mess. It didn't seem to have any idea what it wanted to be or say, kept promoting emotional responses it hadn't earned and was way too long. Also borrowed heavily from several much better films. Won't be watching it again or recommending it. (Effects were good, mind.)
You said it better than I did. Confused and unsure of what it wanted to be for sure. . . and yeah, even when his daughter dies and when he sees his young daughter again I had more eyerolls than emotions. The one good thing is that they didn't make Chris Pratt the 'Chris Pratt' character, the bad thing about that though was that they didn't make him anything. . . . Imagine he wasn't in this film though, he may not exactly shine, but everyone else is even more dull.

Some interesting points could have been made. Conscription and threatening your family members was interesting (but immediately forgotten). People living on in different timelines was interesting. The idea that there was only enough time/syrum to save one timeline might have been interesting. What if the people from the future were sacrificing people from the past to save their future that was spawned from a now different past.
Forget about all that stupid shit about one person from two different timelines not being able to exist at the same time. We are all stardust. Plus the woman who was left back in the past that served with Pratts daughter (and others?) is going to be born soon, then what?

I liked the aliens, they were pretty cool. The rest of it was very meh indeed. And they basically ripped off the old mad bastard with a plane idea from Independence Day

I’m puzzled by the generally positive reviews on these boards of all places about Clarkson’s Farm. I don’t think he’s nearly as much of a cunt as the likes of Laurence Fox, Toby Young et al, but he’s still a full-time Tory troll with few redeeming qualities. Certainly not the type that would appeal to most people who aren’t Tories or petrolheads.

Admittedly he can be funny at times, and even comes across as someone who you disagree on pretty much everything but could conceivably enjoy a session in the pub with. Still, does he actually display some common decency and humanity in this series, and keeps from scoring cheap political points?

I’m puzzled by the generally positive reviews on these boards of all places about Clarkson’s Farm. I don’t think he’s nearly as much of a cunt as the likes of Laurence Fox, Toby Young et al, but he’s still a full-time Tory troll with few redeeming qualities. Certainly not the type that would appeal to most people who aren’t Tories or petrolheads.

Admittedly he can be funny at times, and even comes across as someone who you disagree on pretty much everything but could conceivably enjoy a session in the pub with. Still, does he actually display some common decency and humanity in this series, and keeps from scoring cheap political points?

Won't be watching it unless he's fed to the pigs, or run over by a tractor

Not new, but just got around to Documentary Now - which is 3 short seasons of spoofs on specific real documentaries.

The opener is a Grey Gardens parody that goes a bit obvious, but almost all of the rest is well-observed and clever comedy.

You could always watch it and find out

You could always watch it and find out
I could and I might, but my post was more of a social observation. Also, as a multi-episode series (as opposed to a film) I’d like additional assurances before I invest multiple hours watching it all.

I could and I might, but my post was more of a social observation. Also, as a multi-episode series (as opposed to a film) I’d like additional assurances before I invest multiple hours watching it all.
Additional assurances beyond a bunch of people saying they liked it? Get you!

I've only seen one episode, but I'd say in general "no". He still comes across as a smug prick, but I suppose the interesting thing is finding out about farming as seen through the eyes of a clueless smug self centered prick.
He's probably playing up his TV persona. The whole thing does smack of 'telly' rather than any sort of actually documentary of events. I'm not sure I gained enough out of it to cancel out the clarksoness and push forward into another episode, but I would consider it. Compare that with the Hammond island self sufficient show, which sounded on paper like it could be good. . . . . I managed maybe less than three bombastic minutes, really the other end of the spectrum of how bad these top gear man boy shows can be.

. . . I also watched the whole of the episode where James May (the least objectionable of the three) put a guitar together. . . And that was a fucking red fender Stratocaster as well!! I must have been hungover or something.

Last edited:
Anyone else watching Clarkson's Farm? It's entertaining. I expected him to be his usual offensive that, but he comes across as quite human at times. It certainly made me even more aware of how very difficult it is to farm. I wish I could understand Gerald though, and Kaleb...I love how he gets cross with Clarkson and treats him like the idiot brother.

Anyone else watching Clarkson's Farm? It's entertaining. I expected him to be his usual offensive that, but he comes across as quite human at times. It certainly made me even more aware of how very difficult it is to farm. I wish I could understand Gerald though, and Kaleb...I love how he gets cross with Clarkson and treats him like the idiot brother.
Did you read any of the previous posts at all?

If it’s good, it’s good. No point in cutting off your nose to spite your face. I’m as surprised as anybody on this one.
To be fair, I don't think it's quite as good as people are saying. It's more surprisingly ok considering the presenter.

I'm not above watching stuff involving cunts but the subject matter doesn't interest me either and there is enough other stuff to watch.

I'm not above watching stuff involving cunts but the subject matter doesn't interest me either and there is enough other stuff to watch.
aye i don’t watch these sorts of reality show anyway (Travel Man excepted) but Clarkson’s involvement seals the deal for me

aye i don’t watch these sorts of reality show anyway (Travel Man excepted) but Clarkson’s involvement seals the deal for me
I only watch reality shows when it involves fashion design and/or drag queens and this is far away from that as you can get. :D

It’s not a reality TV programme.

If it’s not for you, so what? Are you so important that we all need to know this? Just don’t watch it. You can even have my blessing to not watch it. Meanwhile, people are just giving a recommendation that is for those open to receiving the recommendation. I’m glad it was recommended to me because otherwise I really wouldn’t have watched it and actually it turned it to be great. I’m not the only one.

I get an overwhelming urge to punch the cunt's teeth down his neck when I so much as catch a glimpse of the handbag face, so I'll give it a swerve.

Back
Top Bottom