Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

Yes. Not being American myself, I thought it was convincing enough. However it does change in intensity throughout the film, most noticeably in the narration. Also, I find that narration in films is rarely a good sign.

I find myself thinking about an actor’s accent a lot more if I know it’s not their real accent. Though Andrew Lincoln’s accent in The Walking Dead always throws me.

I find myself thinking about an actor’s accent a lot more if I know it’s not their real accent. Though Andrew Lincoln’s accent in The Walking Dead always throws me.
I was astonished this week to learn that Fiona Shaw is Irish and has an Irish accent (unlike Kenneth Branagh), but she invariably plays posh cut-glass-accented English roles.

Hugh Laurie in house is the weirdest for me. It sounds like kids playing cowboys and putting on the voice get heard on the telly . . . Though I am told by American friends it's actually very good, and they had no idea he was English. Imagine only knowing House and then watching Blackadder one day.

There are so many actors on US shows that I look up and discover to be English. The women tend to edge it on the accents...

I remember being surprised that the guy from the wire was English. . . .well all the English guys from the wire actually.
Just two, Dominic West and Idris Elba iirc.
Aidan Gillen is Irish. Clarke Peters is American, though he’s lived in England for decades, forging a stage career and writing West End musical Five Guys Named Mo

I Think We're Alone Now

You know, it's an okay film.
But what really, really gets me is how the fuck does a 2018 film that can afford Peter Dinklage and Elle Fanning not have subtitles? That bullshit should be illegal. Fuckers.

Of course they fucking mutter through it, too.

I Think We're Alone Now

You know, it's an okay film.
But what really, really gets me is how the fuck does a 2018 film that can afford Peter Dinklage and Elle Fanning not have subtitles? That bullshit should be illegal. Fuckers.

Of course they fucking mutter through it, too.
I though it was OK, more like two twilight zone ideas smacked together.
I think the subtitle problem is something else. Quite a few things that I know have had subtitles don't have them on prime.

One of my favourite films in the early 2000s was The Station Agent. Three unknown actors in a mega low budget indie flick. Now it's got an all star cast.

Just watched Jolt. I am sure I am right in advising those who thought The Tomorrow War or Guns Akimbo were both shit and unwatchable to definitely give this a miss.

But to those who like me found them shit but still entertaining and perfectly watchable of a weekend with the right expectations in mind, I’d say it’s of a similar vein. So go for it- just don’t expect award winning acting or an original script :D

Just realised that this is a different film to the 2008 Travolta-voiced animated kids' movie Bolt, so am now somewhat less confused by the recent dunking on it.

Reactions: Chz
The Vinland saga is very good indeed.

It is a Japanese anime/manga series based on an Icelandic saga set largely in pre-Norman conquest Britain and Scandinavia, featuring Vikings (good and bad types), Anglo-Saxons, Cnut etc, and my favourites - the Welsh Romans (probably not as bizarre as it sounds...)

While being anime, it is also weirdly historically accurate. They've even gone as far as recording British (and presumably Icelandic etc) birdsong, which you'll probably be able to recognise.

All the characters speak Japanese, which makes it even more fun.

And it looks beautiful.

Highly recommended

Just watched Jolt. I am sure I am right in advising those who thought The Tomorrow War or Guns Akimbo were both shit and unwatchable to definitely give this a miss.

But to those who like me found them shit but still entertaining and perfectly watchable of a weekend with the right expectations in mind, I’d say it’s of a similar vein. So go for it- just don’t expect award winning acting or an original script :D

I watched TW on Saturday night, pissed, it was shit but enjoyable nonsense. I did not analyse it deeply.

Another entertaining thriller recommendation: brand new sci fi/ thriller WWII film Shadow in the Cloud.

It involves a misogynist bomber crew taking on a flight a female air auxiliary member carrying a mysterious box. I don't want to give too much away but there are otherworldly creatures involved as well as war action and other stuff. But suffice to say that at some point it takes a rather unexpected turn that makes this far more multilayered than just an action sci-fi flick.

Not superb but perfectly watchable. Ignore the low IMDB ratings at the time of writing, undoubtedly the result of the 4chan incel lot. The 78% Rotten Tomatoes score is far more representative.

Andy Murray: Resurfacing.

I thought it was great - really interesting on sports rehab for an elite athlete...

Just binged five of six series of ‘Justified’ on Prime. Far better than it needed to be for a cop procedural and goes a lot further. Interesting to see rural America for a change - its set,and the first series was actually filmed, in the poorest county in the States- Harlan- which is basically ex coal mining communities in the mountains, so a bit like the Welsh valleys, but in other ways not… after series one they couldn’t afford the location shooting anymore. Also stars Timothy Oliphant so good eye candy for those that like their eye candy male.

Based on just three Elmere Leonard short stories but captures the sparseness of his writing.

Give it a go.

I’ll be sad when I finish the sixth and last series…

Just binged five of six series of ‘Justified’ on Prime. Far better than it needed to be for a cop procedural and goes a lot further. Interesting to see rural America for a change - its set,and the first series was actually filmed, in the poorest county in the States- Harlan- which is basically ex coal mining communities in the mountains, so a bit like the Welsh valleys, but in other ways not… after series one they couldn’t afford the location shooting anymore. Also stars Timothy Oliphant so good eye candy for those that like their eye candy male.

Based on just three Elmere Leonard short stories but captures the sparseness of his writing.

Give it a go.

Loved it, but never got to see the final season or two. An overlooked classic & can't wait to catch up - watch it all over again.

Another entertaining thriller recommendation: brand new sci fi/ thriller WWII film Shadow in the Cloud.

It involves a misogynist bomber crew taking on a flight a female air auxiliary member carrying a mysterious box. I don't want to give too much away but there are otherworldly creatures involved as well as war action and other stuff. But suffice to say that at some point it takes a rather unexpected turn that makes this far more multilayered than just an action sci-fi flick.

Not superb but perfectly watchable. Ignore the low IMDB ratings at the time of writing, undoubtedly the result of the 4chan incel lot. The 78% Rotten Tomatoes score is far more representative.
The synopsis of this sounded far too ridiculous so I gave it a miss.

Give it a go.

I’ve had a couple of false starts with this. I’ll give it another go then.

Back
Top Bottom