Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

This is the one where the bloke gets shot by the swimming pool at the begining of the first episide, right?
That’s the Fella. It starts like a slightly better than normal cop show but gets a lot better. It’s enough of a ‘fantasy’ that people who get annoyed by cop shows that get things wrong don’t go mad watching it. Like Morse (although it’s nothing like Morse).

Spectrum or uncanny valley of cop shows.

Fantasy - Morse, Justified, Lucifer, OK so unreal as to be good viewing.

Stuff that pretends to be accurate but has procedural errors to make it annoying: Line of Duty, silent witness, all but the first season of Prime suspect.

Accurate enough to be good viewing: The Wire, first season of Prime Suspect, Thin Blue line.

It’s enough of a ‘fantasy’ that people who get annoyed by cop shows that get things wrong don’t go mad watching it. Like Morse (although it’s nothing like Morse).

Hang on. What do you mean "fantasy"?

Not supernatural bollocks or sci-fi shit is it?

Hang on. What do you mean "fantasy"?

Not supernatural bollocks or sci-fi shit is it?
No.. Zero wizard count. Just fantasy policing like Morse. It deals with the US Marshal service- who actually do hardly any investigation given they are the operational arm of the Federal courts system in reality. There is a tiny team ( four) that can lock up and /or shoot an entire OCG in 40 minutes plus adverts and then the paperwork is done in 20 minutes at the end of the day.

But I guarantee no unicorns or vampires….

No.. Zero wizard count. Just fantasy policing like Morse. It deals with the US Marshal service- who actually do hardly any investigation given they are the operational arm of the Federal courts system in reality. There is a tiny team ( four) that can lock up and /or shoot an entire OCG in 40 minutes plus adverts and then the paperwork is done in 20 minutes at the end of the day.

But I guarantee no unicorns or vampires….
Nice one. Cheers. :thumbs:

Just finished another Prime freebee and it's already offering me more free prime on my next amazon order. I don't think I have ever paid for it.

That’s the Fella. It starts like a slightly better than normal cop show but gets a lot better. It’s enough of a ‘fantasy’ that people who get annoyed by cop shows that get things wrong don’t go mad watching it. Like Morse (although it’s nothing like Morse).

Spectrum or uncanny valley of cop shows.

Fantasy - Morse, Justified, Lucifer, OK so unreal as to be good viewing.

Stuff that pretends to be accurate but has procedural errors to make it annoying: Line of Duty, silent witness, all but the first season of Prime suspect.

Accurate enough to be good viewing: The Wire, first season of Prime Suspect, Thin Blue line.
I think you mean Luther rather than Lucifer…

I think you mean Luther rather than Lucifer…

I’ve never actually watched Luther. On my list. Lucifer is an example of something that is far better than it should be/ needed to be. I think it’s the Neil Gaiman input.

I really liked Lucifer, but it doesn’t fit the description of being like Morse!

Luther, I hated. But I find Idris Elba all but unwatchable (other than in The Wire).

I enjoyed the first season of Luther. With all of its overheated family melodrama and Ruth Wilson's female Hannibal Lecter, realistic it was not, but I thought it was very entertaining. Didn't care for season 2 and stopped after that.

I really liked Lucifer, but it doesn’t fit the description of being like Morse!

Luther, I hated. But I find Idris Elba all but unwatchable (other than in The Wire).
It’s only like Morse in being complete fantasy (rather than Fantasy) in its depiction of policing. Not much else in common.

All telly drama is fantasy.

The Wire ( with the exception of the last series wasn’t) the very first Prime Suspect was like a dramatisation of an actual major enquiry. The first iteration of the Bill was pretty non fantasy. And the Thin Blue line was actually a documentary…

The Wire ( with the exception of the last series wasn’t) the very first Prime Suspect was like a dramatisation of an actual major enquiry. The first iteration of the Bill was pretty non fantasy. And the Thin Blue line was actually a documentary…

The Bill was awesome.

Until the soap elements crept in. But it was often streets ahead with social issues long before the likes of EastEnders etc.

The Bill was awesome.

Until the soap elements crept in. But it was often streets ahead with social issues long before the likes of EastEnders etc.
Yes, I do remember the bill being something very different. Not a regular soapy show, a weekly series and much more real life drama. I can't have been all that old, but of the shows my parents watched I did look forward to it, and there was a noticeable difference when it moved to twice a week. Quite quickly all the good characters left. Might have only been La Roux's mum that stayed on.

Yes, I do remember the bill being something very different. Not a regular soapy show, a weekly series and much more real life drama. I can't have been all that old, but of the shows my parents watched I did look forward to it, and there was a noticeable difference when it moved to twice a week. Quite quickly all the good characters left. Might have only been La Roux's mum that stayed on.
It was single standalone (occasionally two episode specials) with an ensemble cast for years . Then they completely changed it to a soap as a deliberate decision.

The twice weekly episodes were brilliant for a few years. And occasionally over the years, there were some good storylines but it lost its shine towards the end.

Ah, real old school.
Well anyway, after Galloway left I remember it got shit. Not because he left, but there was a new series and he wasn't in it (amongst others) and there was a marked difference in general feel and tone. I think ITV had just given up on Albion Market and were maybe looking for the Bill to fit that soapy drama gap.

Well, with heartfelt apologies to Orang Utan and others, I decided to sell my soul to the devil and check out Clarkson’s Farm. A couple of episodes in, I must admit it is very watchable and rather entertaining, and more importantly you can enjoy this whilst still thinking Clarkson’s a cunt.

Back
Top Bottom