Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

I really enjoyed Them. Loved how it got darker and darker as it went on. Was interesting to watch the mini making-of type videos afterwards, will be interesting to see where the anthology goes next. From what the creator says in those videos, he wants to see black people represented as the stars in the various horror genres he loved growing up. Sounds good to me.

May have missed it but I’m surprised The Bureau hasn’t been mentioned.Best Foreign Language series ever, maybe best series period. Based on French Secret Escapes in Ukraine, Syria etc
if you are expecting James Bond style shit forget it. In Series One a mouse dies and there’s a chase between a moped and a taxi.
it focuses on the Tech and interpersonal relationships although it does hot up.
The main enemy is the CIA embedding itself in NATO secret services to undermine any threat to US hegemony.

Don't waste your time with Addicted To Fresno, unless you're very fond indeed of rape jokes. I only put it on cos it had the wonderful Aubrey Plaza and Natasha Lyonne in it, and within 5 minutes there was a rape joke. Okay I thought, well, it's a female director and a fab cast, so I'll stick with it. There then followed about 5 more rape jokes on the trot. Any tolerance I had went up in a puff of fucked up smoke, and off it went. WTAF?! :mad:

May have missed it but I’m surprised The Bureau hasn’t been mentioned.Best Foreign Language series ever, maybe best series period

Started on "Hunters".

It is very, very silly. But that's sort of what I need right now.
It got off to a bad start with its garish comicbook aesthetic, denier ammo fabrications and japanese nam vet character tastelessness and I sacked it off after 3 eps around the 4th wall "white people are nazis" bit. It's appalling. If I'd been aware that it had been called out for being shit I wouldn't have bothered at all. Sort yourself out Pacino.

It got off to a bad start with its garish comicbook aesthetic, denier ammo fabrications and japanese nam vet character tastelessness and I sacked it off after 3 eps around the 4th wall "white people are nazis" bit. It's appalling. If I'd been aware that it had been called out for being shit I wouldn't have bothered at all. Sort yourself out Pacino.

It was utter shite.

On the one hand, I think they're being prissy about what is basically a comic book. But it is their right to be so.

I lost interest halfway, so I'm more of a "I can't believe they could actually be fussed about it" Lots goes on, but nothing happens if you know what I mean.

I was really looking forward to it and was disappointed to have to dump it 20 minutes into the 1st episode. Fuck knows why Pacino got involved with it.
It got much worse. Each subsequent episode was even more facepalmy than the last, culminating in the desire to drive your fist through your face and out the back of your skull by the final episode.
I guess Pacino must be finding it hard to get work these days.

Just finished an unintended binge watch of Wayne. Dark comedy / action / love story type thing. Hoping for a second season.

Watched the first two episodes and so far it’s fucking fantastic :)
I watched the first one and didn't really get what it was supposed to be. Didn't engage/intrigue me enough to watch another. . . . does it unfold in some way?
I got a sense of what it is about from well before the first episode was finished. But in any case, does that even matter? So long as something is well written and the characters interesting enough, I don’t care if it’s weird or difficult to categorise. Hell, for me it’s actually something to look forward to.

Anyway, albeit unfinished, big recommendation from me for anyone looking for stuff to watch.

In other news, I finished Invincible. Very good and the revelations on the last episode make the overall story stand out within the superhero genre.

Ludicrously graphic violence at times though. It doesn’t make me squirm but it still feels rather gratuitous occasionally.

I got a sense of what it is about from well before the first episode was finished. But in any case, does that even matter? So long as something is well written and the characters interesting enough, I don’t care if it’s weird or difficult to categorise. Hell, for me it’s actually something to look forward to.

I didn't mean it was hard to categorise or that if you can't put something into a box you can't enjoy it. I meant that I don't think the characters were well written and I don't think their actions made enough sense to engage me or for me to invest in them. If anything it seemed to be relying too much on the latest indie trope of the weirdo nihilistic outsider rather than giving the character/characters any depth or interest. So I'm happy to assume that if you enjoyed the series based on that first ep, that I probably won't.

In other news, I finished Invincible. Very good and the revelations on the last episode make the overall story stand out within the superhero genre.

Ludicrously graphic violence at times though. It doesn’t make me squirm but it still feels rather gratuitous occasionally.
I also liked this. Wasn’t sure if today’s was the last of the series or not but it makes sense that it would be.

I didn't mean it was hard to categorise or that if you can't put something into a box you can't enjoy it. I meant that I don't think the characters were well written and I don't think their actions made enough sense to engage me or for me to invest in them. If anything it seemed to be relying too much on the latest indie trope of the weirdo nihilistic outsider rather than giving the character/characters any depth or interest. So I'm happy to assume that if you enjoyed the series based on that first ep, that I probably won't.
I was just coming here to post a halfway mark review. Perfectly fine for anyone to dislike anything for any reason AFAIAC, but you should really give a go to the second episode regardless.

This is seriously good, and with a well defined plot fwiw. I don’t know if you have watched The End of the Fucking World, but if you did and you liked it you’d be mad not to give this a chance. This is not just in the same vein, but every bit as good.

Not that ratings should have an impact on what one thinks is good or not, but fwiw few series enjoy a 100% Rotten Tomatoes rating plus a 8.6/ 10 score on IMDB.

I also liked this. Wasn’t sure if today’s was the last of the series or not but it makes sense that it would be.
I enjoyed it, but really after the end of Ep.1 it spends another 6 episodes going nowhere. It's an enjoyable ride to nowhere, but I'd hoped for a bit more of the plot to have moved along.

Finished Wayne. Bloody enjoyable, and highly recommended to anyone who liked the likes of Fargo or The End of the Fucking World.

That’s now two surprisingly good series from YouTube Premium (the other one being Cobra Kai) I had never heard of until they got picked up by a big streaming service. Perhaps I should check what else YouTube Premium have produced...:hmm:

May have missed it but I’m surprised The Bureau hasn’t been mentioned.Best Foreign Language series ever, maybe best series period. Based on French Secret Escapes in Ukraine, Syria etc
if you are expecting James Bond style shit forget it. In Series One a mouse dies and there’s a chase between a moped and a taxi.
it focuses on the Tech and interpersonal relationships although it does hot up.
The main enemy is the CIA embedding itself in NATO secret services to undermine any threat to US hegemony.
This looks great, going to give it a try - thanks for the tip

Santoalla - True crime documentary about a rural disappearance.

Won't say to much as its best to go in blind as possible but its a fairly well told and revealed story, themes of the clash of cultures within it as a progressive Dutch couple move into a basically abandoned village and run smack into the last remaining family eking out a living in it.

Another +1 for The Bureau. Really well done.
Watching that at the moment. They expect you to pay for Prime AND Sundance to get it though, which is a bit bloody ridiculous. All the same, no way would I undermine their profitability by mentioning that there are other ways.

Watching that at the moment. They expect you to pay for Prime AND Sundance to get it though, which is a bit bloody ridiculous. All the same, no way would I undermine their profitability by mentioning that there are other ways.
i used * cough * other ways.

Anyone already mentioned The Vast of Night?

Odd little sci-fi drama set in 50s America, really enjoyed it, but the sort of movie I didn’t think they made anymore, low key, almost film school-ish.

Yeah, few mentions upthread, I loved it. Filmed over a month with a budget of $750,000 iirc, bloke who made it financed it himself from commercial work doing sports videos and such.

Sundance are just another streaming service like Prime and Netflix. Why would it be included in your prime sub? Do you complain that you have to pay extra to use Netflix app on the fire TV?

Back
Top Bottom