Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

I mean, this about sums it up (I made the video start at the right point, hopefully):

For those who don’t want to sit through it, he lists pay-for internet channels for a solid two minutes. Whilst I can’t guarantee there are no fakes in there, I recognise the vast majority of names as real, so I’m guessing it’s a genuine list. And as he says at the end, “but that leaves your internet TV bill at roughly... $17,000 a month“

It's enough to push a person back to Torrents. I think this where its starting to fail. I stopped downloading music as mostly I don't need to with Spotify. I pay for two streaming services (and only because I get the delivery service with Amazon) and a TV license. I'm not paying for more.

Any good? Empire didn't seem to think so, seems like it generally rated pretty well elsewhere, but I keep seeing words like "plodding" and "un-involving", wdyt?
It's not bad, it did feel a tad long and I can understand the plodding comment but not sure what they are expecting to be different from the subject matter. Which considering they kidnapped people from their own country and held them for trial for years and subjected them to torture in an attempt to get a confession is mental and they wouldn't like it if that happened to an American.

It's enough to push a person back to Torrents. I think this where its starting to fail. I stopped downloading music as mostly I don't need to with Spotify. I pay for two streaming services (and only because I get the delivery service with Amazon) and a TV license. I'm not paying for more.
It's deeply frustrating. I usually try to just have two streaming services on the go - usually Prime and Netflix but sometimes I cancel one in order to have NowTV or Apple for a brief period to watch something like Succession. It's a pain in the arse managing it though. And it seems increasingly hard to find good stuff to watch despite this avalanche of content. I paid for Starzplay recently for one show, which turned out to be crap, and I've watched one episode of half a dozen crap shows on there since trying to justify the payment.

It's not bad, it did feel a tad long and I can understand the plodding comment but not sure what they are expecting to be different from the subject matter. Which considering they kidnapped people from their own country and held them for trial for years and subjected them to torture in an attempt to get a confession is mental and they wouldn't like it if that happened to an American.
Yeh, thought it was excellent fucthest8

Quite by chance :hmm:, just got Mark Kermode's review served to me on Youtube - was summed up by Simon Mayo saying that Tahar Rahim's perfomance wa "charismatic in a way the film isn't"

But given you two "enjoyed" (not sure that's the right word) it, I'll still give it a go :)

Quite by chance :hmm:, just got Mark Kermode's review served to me on Youtube - was summed up by Simon Mayo saying that Tahar Rahim's perfomance wa "charismatic in a way the film isn't"

But given you two "enjoyed" (not sure that's the right word) it, I'll still give it a go :)
It's definitely worth a watch if its the type of film you enjoy. It's not fast pace which a lot of films are these days.

Supposedly Palm Springs is coming to Prime tomorrow. I can heartily recommend it as the best Groundhog Day since Groundhog Day.

Given as you can cancel at any time I’d say yes. Fuck, nothing comes to my mind now but we’ve certainly watched a few very good series- at least if you like the genre in question. Trying to remember the Stephen King spin off series that we watched there- certainly would recommend to any S King fan.

I just remembered: Castle Rock for the Stephen King fans.

Elsewhere, firm recommendation for Pennyworth. Mentioned very recently upthread but it’s basically a dark, stylish and very well produced series about the earlier life and happenings of Alfred Pennyworth, who eventually becomes Batman’s butler. Don’t be put off by the word Batman, this really has fuck all to do with superhero genre series.

Finally, Counterpart is a slow burning but very good dystopian future sci-fi series with a very intriguing premise. Also highly recommended

Half way through Them (available to all Amazon Prime subscribers). It is, imo, a really fucking good series thus far. A 1950s period supernatural drama, but the supernatural element of the story is kept in check: this is at heart a very well written, slow-burning thriller drama story about racism in Middle America.

Obviously not a particularly cheery programme, but fwiw it has not been unbearably bad either so far despite its dark themes. It is very well produced, with a great soundtrack and a solid cast to boot. Recommended.

Loved Palm Springs - a time loop romcom that's very funny and different enough from Groundhog Day to not to be just another Groundhog Day. Again.
Literally starting to play it now and I was coming here to check for any comments on it, so this is encouraging.

Hannah Arendt - dramatisation of her reporting of the Eichmann trial in Jerusalam, and the fall out that comes her way... not as dry as it sounds, I really enjoyed it.

Really enjoyed Lad, A Yorkshire Story. We're a bit bored of all the American action stuff with the ridiculous fight scenes and endless gun use, so are seeking out quieter films. This fits the bill, a quiet, moving and lovely film about a teenage boy who forms a friendship with a park ranger in the Yorkshire Dales after the death of his father.

Also enjoyed Dating Amber, set in Ireland in the Mid-90s about two school friends who decide to start a pretend straight relationship in an effort to fit in.

Really enjoyed Lad, A Yorkshire Story. We're a bit bored of all the American action stuff with the ridiculous fight scenes and endless gun use, so are seeking out quieter films. This fits the bill, a quiet, moving and lovely film about a teenage boy who forms a friendship with a park ranger in the Yorkshire Dales after the death of his father.

Lovely film

Half way through Them (available to all Amazon Prime subscribers). It is, imo, a really fucking good series thus far. A 1950s period supernatural drama, but the supernatural element of the story is kept in check: this is at heart a very well written, slow-burning thriller drama story about racism in Middle America.

Obviously not a particularly cheery programme, but fwiw it has not been unbearably bad either so far despite its dark themes. It is very well produced, with a great soundtrack and a solid cast to boot. Recommended.
Started watching this last night on your recommendation. Watched 2. Scared fucking shitless so had to switch to Deep Space Nine before bed so we didn't have nightmares :D

Found The Shield recently that I missed when it originally aired despite loving The Wire. Up to Season 4 at the moment and loving it, watching 2-3 episodes every evening

Finished Them. Best thing I've seen for a good while.

Started Lad, A Yorkshire Story, and turned it off in scorn and disgust after about 20 minutes. Why did they not cast an actual Northerner for the lad role? Pissed me off so much that. I can't suspend my disbelief if the so-called Yorkshire Lad sounds like a plummy little twat.

Finished watching Justified. Pretty decent overall, feels a bit like a slightly derated Banshee, though there’s still some degree of killing.

Some seasons are better than others, and one of the middle ones felt needlessly complex in terms of the number of characters and subplots taking place at the same time. But no season is bad, and some are really good and gripping.

Timothy Olyphant is very good as the main lead, but Walton Goggins really does steal the show playing the main antagonist. One of those highly likeable baddies you almost find yourself rooting for. An underrated actor that seems to fly under the radar and deserves more recognition.

Last edited:
Not Amazon or Netflix, but on HBO max, the nevers. Only two episodes did fast but strong actors and an excellent storyline. Looking forward to a continuation after this series.

Back
Top Bottom