Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Afghanistan: Mission Accomplished

Three stowaways fell to their deaths from the wheel shafts of an evacuation plane after takeoff a couple of hours ago.. :(
This morning Irish radio was claiming troops at the airport "fired in the air" to deter the desperate crowds. Afghanistan has gone to live on a farm in the country.

Question for someone who might know kebabking maybe? Those Apaches clearing the airport must have come from somewhere. They don't have that great a range do they? Did they come in aboard the C-17's? Are they going to take them out aboard the last aircraft to leave or just blow them up so they can take more people instead?
Or do they have some secret hideout in Afghanistan somewhere they can fly to and refuel?

Question for someone who might know kebabking maybe? Those Apaches clearing the airport must have come from somewhere. They don't have that great a range do they? Did they come in aboard the C-17's? Are they going to take them out aboard the last aircraft to leave or just blow them up so they can take more people instead?
Or do they have some secret hideout in Afghanistan somewhere they can fly to and refuel?

I was actually wondering where the fuck our massively expensive and underused sparkly new aircraft carrier is right now. Surely nearby?

I was wondering about this as well. Also how are the last troops going to get out? There doesn't seem to be any sort of perimeter to retreat to and evac from.

What is the idiot-proof simplified explanation for how come the men in the nominal Afghan army didn't even try to stop this happening? Is it just that they were not at all motivated to do so? The US should have spent all their money and time training an army of women instead.
Dunderheaded.

Afghanistan is a landlocked country, and overflying Pakistan / Iran may not be possible or desirable

I'm aware it's landlocked but the Indian sea is pretty close to Kabul. You'd hope Pakistan would allow our planes to fly over right now.

Some were already there, and some came in on the C-17's last week. They don't have the range to fly out on their own, so the sensible money is that they'll be destroyed in place as the last US aircraft leaves.

I'm not the only one wondering this. It's currently on a jolly in Guam apparently.

The chairman of the Commons Defence Committee Tobias Ellwood has pleaded to Prime Minister Boris Johnson to act and “step forward”.

PA reports that Ellwood said the Government should deploy the Royal Navy’s HMS Queen Elizabeth and the UK's CSG to provide air support in the region whilst speaking to Times Radio.

How the hell that last aeroplane is going to be able to take off with all those people in the airport is beyond me. Grim.

Yeah the potential for this to get very messy (even messier) is really high as time passes. I wonder if some negotiation with the Taliban to get them to secure the airport from civilians and people trying to leave might end up happening? Hope the troops don't end up firing on crowds of people flooding the airport, grim. And the last thing the evacuation will want is more planes unable to take off/land due to crowds of desperate people all over the runways.

Hardly surprising the occupying forces couldn't organise a nation state when they can't even organise an evacuation.

Edit: this is a glib comment but there's something astonishing about the fact that large bureaucratic structures have not yet learned how difficult it can be to achieve any stated aim (or even state the aims) when working across multiple large bureaucratic structures (in which I include the occupying military structures, the civilian structures of occupying powers, the civilian and military structures in Afghanistan, NATO, the aid agencies, UN and so on). I don't really buy the idea that the reason the occupation has continued is because some people were making money out of it (as a certain section of left twitter seems to be going for). To some extent military power is just quite alluring to a certain sort of politician, but I think it's more to do with the vast amount of deception and self-deception that can occur within even one of these structures, let alone working across multiples structures. But what's so amazingly stupid about it all is that we know this happens, yet nothing was put in place to try and prevent the vast scale of the deception/self-deception.

Last edited:
requiring the taliban to secure the area would be humiliating for the US. By the look of it, the takib are not getting too involved in this airport criminal farce

Back
Top Bottom