Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Accelerated Rollout of Second Jab to Over 50s

iveivan

Master Member
Many people booked their first and second jabs at the same time on the NHS website. The website doesn’t say anything about rebooking.

I can’t see any details on how the accelerated rollout will work. Has anyone seen anything from the NHS on this?

It was only announced on Friday, following the special SAGE meeting on Thursday, I am sure it'll take the NHS & GPs a few days to work out the logistics, and the details of how to put it into action.

ETA -

Last edited:
Mr Haushoch and I logged onto the NHS vaccination booking website, and clicked on 'manage my booking', then entered NHS numbers, birthdays, and the original booking reference number for vaccine shot Number 2. It then gives you the option to cancel, and once you've cancelled, you immediately get the option to re-book, which we both did successfully - we now have our Shot 2 booked two weeks earlier than our original appointment. It all worked without a hitch. One thing to bear in mind is that according to some studies, a longer gap between the two AZ vaccine doses affords better overall protection. We now have 8 weeks between shots, rather than 10.

One thing to bear in mind is that according to some studies, a longer gap between the two AZ vaccine doses affords better overall protection. We now have 8 weeks between shots, rather than 10

what do they mean by 'a longer gap' here though?

wasn't the original plan something like 4 weeks between shots, which then got extended mainly so more people could have their first shot?

It then gives you the option to cancel, and once you've cancelled, you immediately get the option to re-book, which we both did successfully - we now have our Shot 2 booked two weeks earlier than our original appointment.

i'd be nervous that it would cancel my booked second shot (due mid june) and not offer me anything earlier

think i'm going to wait until i get contacted...

My second jab is next Saturday anyway so I doubt it will get moved forward. They're now down to 38 year olds which covers my Son-in-Law, Mrs Q has texted Eldest this morning to tell her to nag her husband to get it booked.

I did the same and cancelled and rebooked with no problem.
Will now have my second after 9 weeks instead of 12 (and could've had it this coming week, another week earlier).

I bit the bullet, cancelled and rebooked. I live in a tourist hotspot and can't help feeling I'm surrounded by diseased people all the time :( It's nice to get done a couple of weeks earlier.

My 2nd jab will be on June 19th, 1st jab was April 2nd , I'm happy with that sort of jab gap tbf
Similar here, my second jab is 5th June, and I am in a very no risk area, so I am happy enough with that.

And, I suspect my GP hub will struggle with re-bookings, when they are going flat out anyway, so it would probably mean going to an NHS mass vaccination centre, a 25 mile round trip in my van, rather than a short walk down the road.

Should have said - I didn't know about the 'wait until you're contacted' advice until this thread.
I still wouldn't have bothered otherwise (already had my 2nd booked for mid-June), except that I work in a school canteen and encounter hundreds of kids, daily (plus two anti-vaxxer colleagues :rolleyes: ) - so with the new advice around facemasks in schools (or lack of them :mad: ) along with noting that, while we have low case numbers here atm, Brighton was highlighted as one of the areas where there is a growth in the Indian variant (20-30% of recent cases, iirc), it seemed like a sensible enough idea to try.

Should have said - I didn't know about the 'wait until you're contacted' advice until this thread.
I still wouldn't have bothered otherwise (already had my 2nd booked for mid-June), except that I work in a school canteen and encounter hundreds of kids, daily (plus two anti-vaxxer colleagues :rolleyes: ) - so with the new advice around facemasks in schools (or lack of them :mad: ) along with noting that, while we have low case numbers here atm, Brighton was highlighted as one of the areas where there is a growth in the Indian variant (20-30% of recent cases, iirc), it seemed like a sensible enough idea to try.
I think it's perfectly reasonable for anyone to re-book earlier, especially when working with lots of kids and/or other people in general.

I hadn't heard Brighton was an area with a growth in the Indian variant, so thanks for the heads up. :thumbs: Looking on the covid map, 7-days to the 10th May, I see your case numbers are up 89.7% to 18.9 cases per 100k, which I guess is caused by this Indian variant, whereas here in Worthing we are down -35.7% to 8.1 cases.

As there's no way to stop it spreading across the conurbation, I may now look into bringing my second jab forward, ideally if I can avoid a drive over to Brighton or Chichester.

what do they mean by 'a longer gap' here though?

wasn't the original plan something like 4 weeks between shots, which then got extended mainly so more people could have their first shot?

i'd be nervous that it would cancel my booked second shot (due mid june) and not offer me anything earlier

think i'm going to wait until i get contacted...

12+ weeks seems to be preferable in terms of antibody levels after the second dose e.g. this is with AZ:

DA8CA6B2-B89F-45CC-89D4-CC20CDA4EC14.jpeg

Similar here, my second jab is 5th June, and I am in a very no risk area, so I am happy enough with that.

And, I suspect my GP hub will struggle with re-bookings, when they are going flat out anyway, so it would probably mean going to an NHS mass vaccination centre, a 25 mile round trip in my van, rather than a short walk down the road.
I'm having mine at a local Chemist , so more convenient than schlepping somewhere further away.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for anyone to re-book earlier, especially when working with lots of kids and/or other people in general.

I hadn't heard Brighton was an area with a growth in the Indian variant, so thanks for the heads up. :thumbs: Looking on the covid map, 7-days to the 10th May, I see your case numbers are up 89.7% to 18.9 cases per 100k, which I guess is caused by this Indian variant, whereas here in Worthing we are down -35.7% to 8.1 cases.

As there's no way to stop it spreading across the conurbation, I may now look into bringing my second jab forward, ideally if I can avoid a drive over to Brighton or Chichester.

Plus given the long delays between taking test samples and getting genome sequencing done, I recommend people dont make assumptions about the India variant not being in their area. I hate the various forms of lag between reality and the data in this pandemic but there is only so much the gap can be shrunk so people have to work hard on their data-driven perceptions in order not to fall behind the curve.

My friend has finally managed to get a flight back from Jamaica to go for his hospital check up (prostate cancer some years ago).

Given that he has to do 10 days quarantine and then 8 weeks between jabs, I'm stuck with him for the best part of three months, aren't I?

What is the data on the efficacy of shortening to 8 weeks. I'm at 9 weeks now. Haven't been invited but presume i could book...wondered if I should wait for 10 weeks

Back
Top Bottom