Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thank you to Brexiteers.

Evidence of continuity remain slippage into consprialoonery #2

I mean the idea of a local Sainsbury’s store manager becoming part of the government ‘propaganda machine’. This stuff is unhinged

I don't see any evidence that assumption is being made by the person you're quoting. There is nothing unhinged about that tweet. I've no idea who the tweeter is or waht they tweet about otherwise. All they are saying is give peas a chance

Trying to use silly cropped images of empty sheves and then selling them like it's Bellingcat was a real eye-opener; becoming a cult, way out there with the fake moon landing brigade.

Evidence of continuity remain slippage into consprialoonery #3

More evidence of the great government, media, Sainsbury’s store manager. Where are Bernstein and Woodward when you need them?

Trying to use silly cropped images of empty sheves and then selling them like it's Bellingcat was a real eye-opener; becoming a cult, way out there with the fake moon landing brigade.
The irony is that many remain supporters are often the type who are quickest to mock conspiraloons, keen to sneer at nostalgia and pompously dismiss accounts where there is no evidence bar heresay. Except when they engage in all of the above on an industrial scale that is…

Not sure what the randoms on Twitter being quoted are on about, tbh - are the more Faragist papers not reporting on the HGV driver shortage?

Both tweets have thousands of ‘likes’. Revealing an emerging cognitive dissonance.
It's not really cognitive dissonance, is it?
There are some empty shelves and empty shelves were predicted by 'project fear'.
It makes complete sense to those that favoured retaining UK membership of the supra state; those aren't inconsistent thoughts.

You don’t actually think posting an image from my local supermarket was to convince an internet no-mark like you, do you? I don’t give a flying monkey what you think.

The irony is that many remain supporters are often the type who are quickest to mock conspiraloons, keen to sneer at nostalgia and pompously dismiss accounts where there is no evidence bar heresay. Except when they engage in all of the above on an industrial scale that is…
I think what you're doing is seeing loons when all you're looking at is someone who's wrong about something that is actually debatable in any case. Not unusual, and not even weird since they're trying to guess at things happening in another country. Not really worth your time, and a waste of anyone else's.

There also seems to be something of a disconnect happening with people who say "Hurrah for Brexit" about supermarkets trying to solve a driver shortage by offering sign-on bonuses etc., but rejecting the idea that the same driver shortage might be causing supply issues in some areas.

There'd be much less of an issue if there had been a halfway competent government handling Brexit instead of the fucking clowns that are running things - there was a shortage of drivers even before Brexit, you'd think they might have identified it as an area where there could be problems and encouraged more training etc. five years ago instead of waiting until the problem was causing major issues.

Evidence of continuity remain slippage into consprialoonery #2

I mean the idea of a local Sainsbury’s store manager becoming part of the government ‘propaganda machine’. This stuff is unhinged

Then there's the whole "it was the Russians wot done it" conspiraloonery that we're still seeing here and there.

There also seems to be something of a disconnect happening with people who say "Hurrah for Brexit" about supermarkets trying to solve a driver shortage by offering sign-on bonuses etc., but rejecting the idea that the same driver shortage might be causing supply issues in some areas.
Debating club dishonesty is what that is, rather than simple disconnect.

Thank again for posting that interesting article. Couple of bits stand out for me

the pandemic has hastened the crunch by prompting many EU workers with settled status to go home (no one knows how many)

In other words, many EU workers who had already applied for and been granted granted settled status have left not because of Brexit, but because of the Covid pandemic.

Nick Allen, chief executive of the British Meat Processors Association, says that is why the jobs developed this way. “If we’re honest, the working patterns have evolved around having non-UK labour, their prime reason is to stay for three years, earn a lot of money and go home again.”
He says the location of workplaces has changed too, from smaller abattoirs spread around the country to a much-reduced group of large ones in rural areas (because it’s easier to get the animals there). “The whole structure of the industry has altered” over the decades, Allen says. “It’s ended up in a particular pattern and it’s probably got to change.”

This illustrates how a dependency on cheaper labour from poorer EU countries has not just depressed wages, but also significantly effected the whole structure of one particular industry, making it less able to cope when cheaper EU workers no longer want to work here. I'm sure that similar changes have occurred in other industries.

Also interesting for those concerned about animal cruelty that, according to the CEO of the British Meat Processors Association, EU freedom of movement has inspired the growth of the new super abattoirs, with all the negative consequences for animal welfare they involve.

It's not really cognitive dissonance, is it?
There are some empty shelves and empty shelves were predicted by 'project fear'.
It makes complete sense to those that favoured retaining UK membership of the supra state; those aren't inconsistent thoughts.
There are also supply chain issues caused by brexit

Thank again for posting that interesting article. Couple of bits stand out for me

In other words, many EU workers who had already applied for and been granted granted settled status have left not because of Brexit, but because of the Covid pandemic.

This illustrates how a dependency on cheaper labour from poorer EU countries has not just depressed wages, but also significantly effected the whole structure of one particular industry, making it less able to cope when cheaper EU workers no longer want to work here. I'm sure that similar changes have occurred in other industries.

Also interesting for those concerned about animal cruelty that, according to the CEO of the British Meat Processors Association, EU freedom of movement has inspired the growth of the new super abattoirs, with all the negative consequences for animal welfare they involve.
On that first point, I'm wondering if the 5 year rule meant that some EU nationals waited to get their Settled Status sorted before exercising their right to 'go home' for up to 5 years; keeping their options open as it were?
Citizens with 'settled status' may spend up to exactly five continuous years outside the United Kingdom without impacting their immigration status, and will lose their 'settled status' if they spend any continuous time of five years and a day or longer outside the UK.

There are also supply chain issues caused by brexit
I think you need to unpick this a bit.

What are the supply chain issues, and how, specifically, have they been caused by Brexit?

Not saying you're wrong, just that as it stands your 'A caused by B' assertion isn't very illuminating or helpful

On that first point, I'm wondering if the 5 year rule meant that some EU nationals waited to get their Settled Status sorted before exercising their right to 'go home' for up to 5 years; keeping their options open as it were?
Maybe some of them did; maybe some of them would have gone home if Brexit hadn't happened at all.

There's no reason why they shouldn't keep their options open, I'm sure most of us would do the same in similar circumstances.

But it still appears that significant numbers of EU workers have left Britain not because they had to because of Brexit, but because they chose for whatever reason to do so.

Maybe some of them did; maybe some of them would have gone home if Brexit hadn't happened at all.

There's no reason why they shouldn't keep their options open, I'm sure most of us would do the same in similar circumstances.

But it still appears that significant numbers of EU workers have left Britain not because they had to because of Brexit, but because they chose for whatever reason to do so.
AFAIK, no-one has had to leave because of Brexit. But many chose to leave because of Brexit, which was happening pre-pandemic. Many may have also left because of Covid, and many of those will not be able to return, as they might have in the past, because of Brexit.

Really difficult to conclude about motivations without some serious fieldwork, tbh.
I agree that it's quite rational for those affected to keep their option of UK settled status open, but we have to remember that all of this was made necessary by the withdrawal from supra state membership.

I think you need to unpick this a bit.

What are the supply chain issues, and how, specifically, have they been caused by Brexit?

Not saying you're wrong, just that as it stands your 'A caused by B' assertion isn't very illuminating or helpful
As is my understanding: supply chain issues are due to a shortage of drivers. Consequently food, and possibly other things (i dont' know haven't done any other kind of shopping recently), is not appearing on shelves, hence the pics floating around on social media.

Brexit is causal because the drivers have left the UK. Our government could change things so that some/all are incentivised and allowed to return, but given the government we have, put in place because of Brexit, that isn't happening. It may yet do so, but I have no faith in Priti Patel not being a complete shitbag. So it's directly and indirectly causal.

If you can demonstrate otherwise then please do so.

Back
Top Bottom