Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thank you to Brexiteers.

you should get your fruit and veg from a market where they're going to be fresher, cheaper, and without all that ludicrous plastic

I'm actually quite diligent about buying from independents where possible but don't necessarily agree about the freshness. The turnover through supermarkets usually means fresher produce in my experience, but that's not always necessarily a consideration if you're not going to be storing stuff too long. Agree with you on the price and packaging and I also like to support smaller traders but sometimes the convenience of being able to buy everything you need under one roof, a few meters from where you've parked the car, just wins.

Those grapes were pretty naff though. The cherry crumble was ace.

Last edited:
I'm actually quite diligent about buying from independents where possible but don't necessarily agree about the freshness. The turnover through supermarkets usually means fresher produce in my experience, but that's not always necessarily a consideration if you're not going to be storing stuff too long. Agree with you on the price and packaging and I also like to support smaller traders but sometimes the convenience of being able to buy everything you need under one roof, a few meters from where you've parked the car, just wins.

I find supermarkets consistently bad at soft fruit, independents are much better where available.

Ripen at home kiwis, apricots or whatever all tend to be solid bricks from supermarkets.

I find supermarkets consistently bad at soft fruit, independents are much better where available.

Ripen at home kiwis, apricots or whatever all tend to be solid bricks from supermarkets.

I think it's swings and roundabouts. A local grocer sells cherries too but they're outside the shop in an open crate all day and punters serve themselves by sticking their hands in and filling a bag. Given the times we're in and the recent heatwave, that's put me off a bit, and whilst he's usually very good, I've seen a fair bit of soft/damaged fruit there too, which you rarely get in supermarkets.

I’m with Spymaster on the fruit and veg here. I much prefer to shop at small independent stores, even for bread, meat and fish.

Given the times in which we live, I don’t want to be selecting my food from outside shops, and where god knows how many others might have handled it, although our frutería will not let you in until you‘ve used the hand sanitiser and you are wearing a mask. They also have fruit in boxes outside the shop, next to a busy road. I, therefore, buy in supermarkets where it’s wrapped and then take it home where it is washed before eating.

The amount of over packaging in plastic bothers me. I want to reduce it but how? I want the security of knowing that people haven’t handled it, sneezed on it etc too.

We move in about a month. I’ll then be able to fish for my dinner, and buy from an excellent local market. But the doubts about hygiene will remain.

I’m with Spymaster on the fruit and veg here. I much prefer to shop at small independent stores, even for bread, meat and fish.

Given the times in which we live, I don’t want to be selecting my food from outside shops, and where god knows how many others might have handled it, although our frutería will not let you in until you‘ve used the hand sanitiser and you are wearing a mask. They also have fruit in boxes outside the shop, next to a busy road. I, therefore, buy in supermarkets where it’s wrapped and then take it home where it is washed before eating.

The amount of over packaging in plastic bothers me. I want to reduce it but how? I want the security of knowing that people haven’t handled it, sneezed on it etc too.

We move in about a month. I’ll then be able to fish for my dinner, and buy from an excellent local market. But the doubts about hygiene will remain.
If you buy at eg Hackney's Ridley road market it's my experience that only the costermonger will handle the comestibles

Will read when I can suss out how to bypass the paywall (I know there are links on here) and am not ludicrously tired.

I was (and still am) against the UK leaving the EU, I'm not middle class, and can really see a lot of your and Smokeandsteam's points about Brexit and the EU.
andysays

Last week, the deadline passed for EU citizens living in the UK to apply for the right to stay, prompting concern about what will happen to people who didn’t apply in time. But the more extraordinary story is about the numbers who did apply. By March, there had been 5.3m applications from almost 5m individuals for “settled” or “pre-settled” status (some people applied twice). By all accounts, there has been a last-minute rush since then. Yet in 2019, the Home Office estimated the total pool of people eligible to apply for the scheme was only between 3.5m and 4.1m. Applications by people from Romania and Bulgaria had reached about 918,000 and 284,000 respectively by March, while the latest official estimates of their resident populations were 370,000 and 122,000 respectively. Some applications will be from eligible family members or from people who have left the UK. Even so, it seems clear the UK’s population and migration estimates have been “wholly inadequate since at least the mid-2010s”, as economist Jonathan Portes has written. It is ironic that we are only learning just how big a deal European migration was for the UK at the moment we are confronted by life without it. For an insight into how the era of EU free movement transformed some corners of the economy, you could do worse than to study the factories that process our food. This sector, heavily reliant on workers from the EU, was always going to face a reckoning, since the government’s new post-Brexit immigration regime has put a stop to most low-paid migration. But the pandemic has hastened the crunch by prompting many EU workers with settled status to go home (no one knows how many). In meat processing, where EU workers account for more than 60 per cent of staff, employers are complaining of acute labour shortages. Employers often lament that Britons just don’t apply for these jobs. But a look at current job adverts offers an insight into why. Twelve-hour shifts in food factories are common, often in patterns of “four on, four off”, with workers expected to do a mixture of day and night shifts. One for a bakery worker states: “You will work days or nights including weekends for 12 hours [sic] shift as follows: 6am to 6pm; 6pm to 6am.” Another warns applicants for its 12-hour night shifts (paid £9.12 per hour) that “you will be working on your feet for the duration of the shift”. Many state: “You will be required to be flexible to meet the demands of the business.” It is hard to see how you could manage a job with long and variable hours like this if you had to arrange childcare in advance, or indeed had any responsibilities outside work. Even if you could, there are less demanding jobs with steadier shifts that pay a similar wage. Yet the food factory jobs have been manageable for a certain group of migrant workers who came without dependants and lived in shared accommodation. Nick Allen, chief executive of the British Meat Processors Association, says that is why the jobs developed this way. “If we’re honest, the working patterns have evolved around having non-UK labour, their prime reason is to stay for three years, earn a lot of money and go home again.” He says the location of workplaces has changed too, from smaller abattoirs spread around the country to a much-reduced group of large ones in rural areas (because it’s easier to get the animals there). “The whole structure of the industry has altered” over the decades, Allen says. “It’s ended up in a particular pattern and it’s probably got to change.” Allen says pay for new hires is already up: “I’m seeing starting-level jobs advertised now at £22,000, whereas two years ago it would have been £18,000”. He is talking to members about changing their working patterns, but warns it won’t be easy. Eamon O’Hearn, a national officer at the GMB union, says he has “some sympathy” for the sector’s employers, since they are low-margin, high-volume businesses, relentlessly squeezed by the powerful supermarkets. Meat in the UK is among the cheapest in western Europe. “I think we can’t have a debate or review of what work-life balance means in our communities without addressing the market power of the retailers,” he says. It is disingenuous for employers to say that Britons won’t ever do these jobs. Yet it is also naive to believe their problems would melt away overnight if they just raised pay and made less profit. In this sector, the era of free movement affected everything from the rhythm, security and location of work to the prices we have grown used to in the shops. Workers from the EU shaped the UK profoundly. If they don’t come back, learning to live without them will reshape us yet again.

Evidence of continuity remain slippage into consprialoonery #2

I mean the idea of a local Sainsbury’s store manager becoming part of the government ‘propaganda machine’. This stuff is unhinged

Now?

Blair's change in drinking laws was for the benefit of Labour donor Lord Sainsbury

People have been touching and probably sneezing on loose fruit and vege ever since, well shops sold it.

Just rinse it off when you get home. Heat or stomach acid will kill the rest

This is just alphabetti spaghetti

We don't have Brexit. None of the things you believe you voted for are happening nor will they. Currently we aren't upholding our agreements under the deal we negotiated and your messiah won an election on. The whole thing is an unworkable mess won on a campaign of lies.

There are no remainers. There are just people who don't like the fact a group of lying cunts are now in power having fooled gullible twats into believing obvious lies

not only that, but they fooled them in a Referendum and 2 subsequent General Elections - ending up with a Brexit landslide 86-seat majority. And they still think this is Brexit, they still believe democrary won - what foolish gullible twats!

Do enjoy the Panamanian jungle clearing.

Back
Top Bottom