Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thank you to Brexiteers.

dig-for-victory-poster-768x1140.jpg

I can report that Waitrose successfully delivered me the food I ordered with only 3 substitutes:

Prince Charles’s posh twat Kale for regular kale
2 small packs of spinach for one big of spinach
Ginger beer and apple juice cans of pop instead of sugar free ginger beer - this is a tragedy as it’s not very nice

In light of the pea based shortage I can confirm that my frozen peas got through. Never been a fan of petit pois.

I offer no comment whether Covid or Brexit or what but...there are shortages, significant shortages. Denying them is just making some people look ridiculous. I've just done my online shop and the numbers of 'product currently unavailable' are through the roof. Bit pissed off about the spring onions as it happens. But yeah. Wasn't a thing when I started online shopping a couple of years back. It's peaking at the moment. Exponential growth of unavailable items.

I offer no comment whether Covid or Brexit or what but...there are shortages, significant shortages. Denying them is just making some people look ridiculous. I've just done my online shop and the numbers of 'product currently unavailable' are through the roof. Bit pissed off about the spring onions as it happens. But yeah. Wasn't a thing when I started online shopping a couple of years back. It's peaking at the moment. Exponential growth of unavailable items.
Leeks are quite a good substitute for spring onions although they've got a more nutty taste , or try shallots or yellow or red onions

spar. around here co-op is also suffering but tesco seems ok.

Waitrose shelves packed to the gunwales just now.

View attachment 280735
Cherries from Greece and grapes from Spain, getting through just fine.

I can report that Waitrose successfully delivered me the food I ordered with only 3 substitutes:

Prince Charles’s posh twat Kale for regular kale
2 small packs of spinach for one big of spinach
Ginger beer and apple juice cans of pop instead of sugar free ginger beer - this is a tragedy as it’s not very nice

In light of the pea based shortage I can confirm that my frozen peas got through. Never been a fan of petit pois.

Interesting that Waitrose, Tesco, and Sainsbury seem to be immune from empty shelves and other calamitous effects of Brexit, whilst Co-op and Spar are fucked. :hmm:

One might almost deduce ....

This just the start , huge potential for union organisation as well. The article also explains how one firm is also looking to recruit woman drivers.

Starmer and the unions should be calling for a government/Haulier bosses jointly funded fast track apprenticeship scheme for lorry drivers. Fully funded, targeted at young people in areas of high unemployment, a guaranteed job, free tests, union negotiated terms and conditions and a massive expansion of HGV testing. Similar programmes should also be called for in other areas of the economy where labour shortages are predictable. Labour could even publish their own version of it and say 'if elected, we'd do this'....get the bosses to agree in principle etc etc

Sounds great but problems arise very quickly when employers try to recruit women into 'mostly men' work forces; bus driving, for example, is a classic example.

Women want to work very particular shift hours - around school times - which pushes men into working (unsocial) hours they don't want to work, which causes friction at home for them (because their partners and children want them home). Also, HGV and part-time seem uncomfortable bed fellows given the distances many drive.

It becomes a never-ending source of friction in the workplace, esp. when some women are actually child-minding for extra cash, or don't even have children.

((( women )))

Anyway, that all a bit too working class for U75. Best you all get back to slaving over your web content.

And if anyone wants any more examples about how hours and working condition were redesigned, favourably for the employer and unfavourably for the worker , around an unending supply of cheap, temporary and flexible labour read this :

And if anyone wants any more examples about how hours and working condition were redesigned, favourably for the employer and unfavourably for the worker , around an unending supply of cheap, temporary and flexible labour read this :

the key account to follow on Twitter for this at the FT is the very good Sarah O'Connor : https://twitter.com/sarahoconnor_

The Tory 'leveling up' agenda is, in part, a recognition of this (as well as about restoring legitimacy, post-neo-liberal economics - a double movement by capital - and brazen opportunism). Debating with remainers about all of this stuff is impossible however. They are stuck in 1992 in political economy terms and are drifting toward a position that demands the free movement of (exploited) labour on capitals terms.

Employers were very quick and adept at specifically RE-designing jobs to target economic migrants; 12 on, 12 off, min wage, compulsory extra at short notice. Why employ 2 waiters when you can get 3 for the same overhead.

I'm still pissed off how they did exactly that to our very excellent spin instructors at the lido.

Last edited:
Haven't seen much in the way of empty shelves round here but a large probable cause would appear to be brexit according to this:

ffs, "Brexit must be responsible" says the neweuropean.

Will read when I can suss out how to bypass the paywall (I know there are links on here) and am not ludicrously tired.

I was (and still am) against the UK leaving the EU, I'm not middle class, and can really see a lot of your and Smokeandsteam's points about Brexit and the EU.

That's not exactly what it says though is it?

Who cares?

I really don't either way any more, but this endless whinging from entrenched positions is tiresome and deserves nothing more than mockery.

Brexit has happened, it will never be reversed. End of.

Back
Top Bottom