Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A new Political Compass test

Quartz

Eclectic contrarian plebeian
This is based on the old Political Compass but tests against Liberal / Communitarian instead of Libertarian / Authoritarian. Left / Right is still there.

I took the test and came up almost dead centre.

Explanation of Quadrants
Left-liberalism (Social Liberalism): Individuals in this quadrant seek to uphold individual liberty while taxing the market to provide social benefits for those in need. They tend to see themselves as seeking balance between individual liberty and social justice, and to be in favor of multiculturalism, secular government, and international cooperation. While they are typically skeptical of state involvement in social affairs, they nevertheless see a legitimate role for the state in combating discrimination and ensuring equal treatment.

Right-communitarianism (Conservatism): Individuals in this quadrant seek to retain the traditional social and economic order and to uphold the sovereignty of the state. They tend to see themselves as the defenders of what their forebears would have wanted, favoring strict immigration laws, traditional values, and a strong military. While they typically see a role for the state in matters of national security and culture, they tend to be more skeptical of state involvement in the economy.

Left-communitarianism (Social Democracy): Individuals in this quadrant seek to promote communal solutions to both social and economic problems. They tend to see themselves as supporting a mode of government that curbs the excesses of capitalism and diminishes inequality by virtue of a mixed economy and a universal welfare state. They seek to encourage communal solutions, economic redistribution and shared values throughout society by means of participatory democracy and the state.

Right-liberalism (Libertarianism): Individuals in this quadrant seek to uphold liberty as the primary political good in all respects. They tend to see themselves as staunch supporters of both personal and economic freedom and are deeply skeptical of collective plans and goals, stressing instead the principle of voluntary association and the individual’s capacity to make his own judgments. They typically see less of a role for the state than individuals in the other three quadrants, believing instead in the spontaneous social order of the market.

Not sure how great it is. I'm apparenty less left wing than Obama. But I think capitalism needs replacing completely and he's neoliberal.

Lots of suggestions in narrow terms like "The government should set a cap on the wages of bankers and CEOs", which is difficult to agree/disagree with if you think bankers and CEOs urgently need to stop existing, and the government can't be trusted with the resources either.

Last edited:
Not sure how great it is. I'm apparenty less left wing than Obama. But I think capitalism needs replacing completely and he's neoliberal.

Lots of suggestions in narrow terms like "The government should set a cap on the wages of bankers and CEOs", which is difficult to agree/disagree with if you think bankers and CEOs urgently need to stop existing, and the government can't be trusted with the resources either.

Some of the statements are so broad they tell you nothing about the person.

"There are too many wasteful government programs."
"My country should give more foreign and developmental aid to third-world countries."
"It almost never ends well when the government gets involved in business."

I'm actually getting quite reactionary in my views - and gave quite a few "neutrals" and a few to the right - I thought I would come out nearer the centre

It's a bit shit. There's no reasonable way of answering a question like 'do you think the government should provide free healthcare to all its citizens' because the question is loaded with too many assumptions. If I was being pedantic I'd have to say 'no'.

Oddly enough in spite of the questions which are basically unanswerable I come out in the bottom left corner the same as the original compass.(does that make me a "liberal" :confused: ).

The term "neo liberal" seems to have changed a lot in 30 years.

I wouldn't characterise Obama as that.

Deep in the left liberal. Can't say I'm surprised. Can't say I think there'll ever be a government that represents me there either.

didn't even get to the end, the questions were both so loaded/vague, and so obviously set within US political culture, that it had no relevence.

didn't even get to the end, the questions were both so loaded/vague, and so obviously set within US political culture, that it had no relevence.

Yeah, you can tell whatever you say will lead the program to a meaningless conclusion.

So basically somebody ganked Political Compass, swapped Liberal for Libertarian, Communitarian for Authoritarian, and called it Political Coordinates?

This changes everything.

So basically somebody ganked Political Compass, swapped Liberal for Libertarian, Communitarian for Authoritarian, and called it Political Coordinates.

This changes everything.

Nah, they bollocksed it up more than that.

And it was hardly great to start with.

Back
Top Bottom