Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Manchester thread for all things Manc

the transport museum (not quite city centre, but fairly close to a metrolink station) isn't open mondays / tuesdays or i'd suggest that. likewise the heaton park tramway is now closed until next year.

there used to be a good radical / alternative bookshop not far from piccadilly - can't remember if it had a cafe space as well. anyone local know if it's still there? i can't remember what it was called or exactly where it was, and searches haven't come up with anything.

the national football museum seems to have moved to manchester. it wasn't there last time i went.

must be over 20 years since i last set a paw in manchester :(

So I'm going to be spending 24 hours in Manchester this Mon - Tues.

Can some kindly soul produce a must-see/visit list of interesting places?

I fancy the Science and Industry Museum, Manchester Museum and Manchester Art Gallery although I doubt if I'll be able to see all three without overloading on culture.

What else is worth checking out? How about cafes/alternative spaces etc?

Much obliged!
People's History Museum is definitely worth a look if you're interested in that stuff. Cafes/alternative spaces tend to be a bit far-flung cos city centre rents are ridiculous, but let me think... Old Abbey Taphouse in Hulme is a lovely establishment that you should definitely have a look at if you're round there, as is Kim's Kitchen, also in Hulme. P3 Annihilation Eve (formerly Peste) is a little bit (ok, more than a little bit) silly and hipster but I like it and it's worth seeing imo, maybe see if there's anything on at Islington Mill while you're there? The Carlton Club is a nice community venue in Whalley Range, maybe try and have a look at Niamos/Nia centre? Round Didsbury and Withington way, there's Fuel Cafe and Cafe Blah, both of those are worth a look for nice/interesting/alternative cafe places. You should try and have a pint in Gulliver's, Castle Hotel and the Peer Hat as well, I reckon. Will you be based in any particular area?

Also, Working Class Movement Library says "The archive reading room appointments from Tuesday – Friday from 10AM to 4PM. Our display spaces are are open on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday afternoons from 1.00pm to 4.30pm and there is a tour of the library every Friday at 2pm." So not ideal but you might be able to make an appointment for the reading room if you're curious?

The Science and Industry Museum ( MOSI) is always a good shout. Whitworth art Gallery is/was always closed Monday but open Tuesday, The Northern Quarter is worth walk round for eats and beers , years since I have been but the Port Street Beer House always had a good selection., Oldham Road has the Castle where I once went to an Urban meet when I was still in the UK. The Marble Arch has its own brewery.

You may like to peruse Eastern Bloc Records ed
Eastern Bloc Records Manchester opens at 7:30am

Or Afflecks Palace over the road

Plus lots of other stuff in the Northern Quarter
Afflecks Palace used to be good in the late 80s/early 90s. Is it still good or has it been gentrified and shittified?
Eastern Bloc was excellent, too.

Manchester Jewish Museum is quite modest really but at least it's open on a Monday. The cafe isn't bad.

eta: except that it's closed in the afternoon tomorrow

Please note that tomorrow, on Monday, 30 September, the museum will close at 12pm for a private event. You can still visit us in the morning – we open at 10am and last entry will be at 11am. We apologise for any inconvenience. We’ll reopen as usual from Tuesday, 1 October.​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom