Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Golden Age of Crisps?

Dillinger4

Es gibt Zeit
This morning, as I sat eating crisps from a packet of Sea Salt and Balsamic Vinegar Kettle Chips, it occurred to me that we are living in a golden age of crisps. Even in my own short lifetime, I have seen a dramatic change in the way we eat crisps. As a young man, I remember that the main brand of crisps in the shops was Walkers, and the range of flavours was quite narrow.

But today there is a huge variety of flavors and types of crisps. There are gourmet crisps, handmade with a range of interesting flavors, such as Kettle Chips, Tyrells and Lancashire crisps. Smaller independent crisp manufacturers such as Seabrooks have survived and fill a niche for crisp connoisseurs. The big players of the crisp world have had to diversify their range, and now we can see one off special edition flavour crisps, and crisps like Deep Ridge.

We truly are living in a golden age of crisps. Will it get any better? I don't know. I think it is one of those things we will all look back on the future and remember that we have never had it so good.

This morning, as I sat eating crisps from a packet of Sea Salt and Balsamic Vinegar Kettle Chips, it occurred to me that we are living in a golden age of crisps. Even in my own short lifetime, I have seen a dramatic change in the way we eat crisps. As a young man, I remember that the main brand of crisps in the shops was Walkers, and the range of flavours was quite narrow.

But today there is a huge variety of flavors and types of crisps. There are gourmet crisps, handmade with a range of interesting flavors, such as Kettle Chips, Tyrells and Lancashire crisps. Smaller independent crisp manufacturers such as Seabrooks have survived and fill a niche for crisp connoisseurs. The big players of the crisp world have had to diversify their range, and now we can see one off special edition flavour crisps, and crisps like Deep Ridge.

We truly are living in a golden age of crisps. Will it get any better? I don't know. I think it is one of those things we will all look back on the future and remember that we have never had it so good.

congratulations, you've managed to eat the most bourgois crisps ever invented. Near as bad a crisps made from parsnips.

Tyrell's I think.

Philleas Fog seems to have vanished tho. What happened to phileas fog

Despite to my mind, the controversial issue of shrinkage regarding such snacks as Monster Munch and Ringos never having been wholly resolved. I think you're right. We are living in a Golden Wonder age of crisps.

Do Cristies and Murpheys still exist. Brands seen in pubs.

749200.jpg

I eat sea salt and balsamic vinegar crispst. I also eat the aformentioned monster Munch with childish enthusiasm.

Potato puffs from the 80s? Spicy tomato flavour snaps?

I am starting to wonder whether any of you understand what I am trying to say here.

I thought potato crisps were dying out because of fat content. I used to eat a lot of crisps. Smith's crisps in my childhood. Only plain with a little blue paper twist of salt separately in the bag, for 3d (old pennies).
These days I try to avoid them, though can be tempted when there is a special offer. I go more for what are supposed to be healthier options like baked cassava chips.

Once again, yet another crisp thread has been polluted by reconstituted potato/corn starch and fuck-knows what snack products! :mad: :p

Oh and whilst some parts of the country have been in the stone age for crisp flavour choice till quite recently, other parts have been used to a much wider choice for decades now - so manufacturers adjusting their ranges to suit to local/regional preferences in not a new thing at all.

For chese puffs, Suppa Crunchies, were The safisticats choice over the tawdry commonplace Watsit. A delicate lightly dusted puff presented in an elegant slim yellow packet that clearly marked one out as a boy of taste amongst one's peers. :hmm:... Possibly they were only available in a couple of corner shops in the Norwood area circa 1980's.

I have to admit I lived almost entirely on pickled onion space raiders as a teenage stoner.

Don't look go near them when you are tripping, though.

Walkers were not common at all when I was a child, it was Smiths and Golden Wonder. Much prefer Walkers to any other, apart from Seabrooks maybe.

and whilst we are on an important topic such as this.

salt and vinegar... BLUE BAG cheese and onion ... GREEN BAG (or yellow green to include the awesome KP C&O)

I liked it when walkers re-issued those salt n shake bags where you got a little bag of salt to open and shake into the bag yourself. I liked not salting at all and just having plain greased potato sliced very thin

Back
Top Bottom