Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A day in Manchester - museums, pubs, things to do?

miss direct

misfungled
Now I get a day off in the week, I'm trying to make use of it and am planning to take the bus (the journey itself through Snakes pass looks fun) to Manchester for the day. I've only been to Manchester once, more than 20 years ago. I'm after museums, art, cultural stuff and food - somewhere I can happily sit alone, preferably outside. And parks. Would appreciate any suggestions as I know for many things you have to book a slot to visit.

The main city art gallery in town is pretty good, I always enjoy a trip round it - I'd imagine it'll be pretty busy though, dunno about booking slots. Worth dropping into the city library opposite too, just to spend a little time in the reading room which is breathtaking IMO.

The Whitworth is further out and is usually a lot quieter (and is personally my favourity manc museum) - it's collection is more modern/contemporary if that's your thing. It's in the middle of a very nice park too.

The walk out to the Whitworth will take you past the Manchester Museum (which is attached to Manchester University) - it's worth a trawl round, they have some decent egyptian stuff, and a number of curious victorian collections on display, plus lots and lots of stuffed animals.

Out Salford way there's the People's History Museum, which is great - they have a spectacular collection of union banners, and lots of interesting displays about workers power and the like.

what kind of food do you like? there's lots of options

Thanks really useful! Apart from Salford, I'm guessing that all these places are walkable from the centre?
I like all food really... just good quality interesting stuff, preferably local or something I cant get already in Sheffield. Not that I ever really eat out here anyway.

As above. Plus the science museum is great. It's kind of several museums in one, galleries about the textile industry, transport and computers and then over the road in an annexe the contribution the NW made to aviation. The whole place is good for half a day or so.

In Salford Quays the Lowery is good and then the Imperial War Museum doesn't have that many artefacts but is an amazing building and delivers a very powerful narrative. Definitely worth a visit.

Food wise the long standing Chinese links mean there are some great restaurants with different Chinese cuisines, but like any big city you can get most food you want...

Pre 'Rona there were free mini busses that ran all round the city centre and to Piccadilly. Not sure if they are still running as they made it easy to get to the library, galleries and (non Salford) museums - You can get to Salford by tram.

Thanks really useful! Apart from Salford, I'm guessing that all these places are walkable from the centre?
I like all food really... just good quality interesting stuff, preferably local or something I cant get already in Sheffield. Not that I ever really eat out here anyway.
Salford is walkable from the centre too - just in the opposite direction...

TBH where I'd suggest to eat really depends on your museum itinerary. If you go down to The Whitworth the restaurant in the gallery itself is good, or there's my favourite chinese the Red Chilli over the road, or there's a load of streetfood places in one of those boxpark places under the mancunian way inbetween the city centre and the university area.

If you're staying close to the centre I'd take a short stroll into Ancoats and have brunch at Trove, which is Manchester's best sourdough bakery, or at Pollen, which is Manchester's second best sourdough bakery (there isn't much in it tbh, both are pretty lush and Pollen probably has the most pleasing location to eat), or I'd go into chinatown and get pork buns at Mr Wongs Bakery.

The Whitworth is further out and is usually a lot quieter (and is personally my favourity manc museum) - it's collection is more modern/contemporary if that's your thing. It's in the middle of a very nice park too.
I went to the Whitworth on the weekend and they've only got a single exhibit at the moment, a pretty indifferent video art piece - not worth bothering trekking all the way out there I don't think. the full gallery is supposedly opening in July

Central Manchester is rubbish for parks/green spaces (though there is a new one being built near Piccadilly Station). My favourite spot to just sit and take everything in is probably by the canals in Castlefield (lots of amazing industrial heritage) - close to Science Museum / not far from People's History Museum). You can walk from the city centre down the canal to Castlefield which is a nice 20-30 min stroll.

I also love visiting Salford Quays where you can do the Lowry and Imperial War Musuem, and wander round the old quays - easy tram ride from the centre but getting there and back and looking round will take most of your day.

I think if I was showing someone round who was new to Manchester I'd take them round the Northern Quarter, then down through Canal St / gay village, and across to the Library and Town Hall which are stunning buildings - and finish off down in Castlefield. Really not much point visiting the central area from the Arndale down to Spinningfields as there's nothing much to see there you can't see in any other city.

Central Manchester is rubbish for parks/green spaces (though there is a new one being built near Piccadilly Station). My favourite spot to just sit and take everything in is probably by the canals in Castlefield (lots of amazing industrial heritage) - close to Science Museum / not far from People's History Museum). You can walk from the city centre down the canal to Castlefield which is a nice 20-30 min stroll.

I also love visiting Salford Quays where you can do the Lowry and Imperial War Musuem, and wander round the old quays - easy tram ride from the centre but getting there and back and looking round will take most of your day.

I think if I was showing someone round who was new to Manchester I'd take them round the Northern Quarter, then down through Canal St / gay village, and across to the Library and Town Hall which are stunning buildings - and finish off down in Castlefield. Really not much point visiting the central area from the Arndale down to Spinningfields as there's nothing much to see there you can't see in any other city.

no there's the old Roman Park worth checkng out east/south east of the Science Museum.

try the Town Hall and Central Library for their insides.

farmerbarleymow do those free centre buses run anymore?

if you come out at Picadilly turn left up the concourse and have a gaze at London st fire station.

anyone mentioned the Lowry Musuem?

John Ryland's library on Corporation st. is a deffo which is right next to Spinningfields. Also leads you too...

that's castlefield

sometimes you just know a place as 'there' or 'behind blah blah'.

Ancoats might be worth a shout but there's been a weird new not-quite-yuppy scene transplanted there with a load of rah-rahs sunning themselves on the grass on sunny days. You can have a walk down the Rochdale canal though which is before toys'r'us.

When I was there the peace was disturbed by a group of lads from the estate chasing a heroin addict off screaming 'stop shootin' up in front of the kids'

Meh. Tom's ChopHouse is overpriced and underwhelming.

I must admit that despite having lived in Manchester and worked there for most of my adult life I've never been inside John Ryland's Library which is very remiss of me.

Ancoats was a lot more interesting when it was derelict, but still worth visiting, but wouldn't be on my list for a first time day trip.

Meh. Tom's ChopHouse is overpriced and underwhelming.

I must admit that despite having lived in Manchester and worked there for most of my adult life I've never been inside John Ryland's Library which is very remiss of me.

Ancoats was a lot more interesting when it was derelict, but still worth visiting, but wouldn't be on my list for a first time day trip.

I see everbody else getting likes but my suggestions getting questioned. Proper sad.

I see everbody else getting likes but my suggestions getting questioned. Proper sad.
well you did start by criticising what I posted, but whatever. I completely agree with you on the Town Hall / Library, and the fort on castlefield (despite its fakeness, I like the juxtaposition with the railway viaducts, periods of history colliding)

well you did start by criticising what I posted, but whatever. I completely agree with you on the Town Hall / Library, and the fort on castlefield (despite its fakeness, I like the juxtaposition with the railway viaducts, periods of history colliding)

that honestly wasn't meant as a crticism, maybe it's my brash Lower Broughton schooling. Apologies if it came across as such.

if buses are your thing there is this place (cheetham hill, north manchester) -

they do (possibly not at the moment) have some days when they get buses out and about to ride on

or trams at heaton park

or steam trains a shortish tram ride away at bury

The East Lancashire Railway

(haven't looked to see what any of them are doing at the moment)

Thing wi
if buses are your thing there is this place (cheetham hill, north manchester) -

they do (possibly not at the moment) have some days when they get buses out and about to ride on

or trams at heaton park

or steam trains a shortish tram ride away at bury

The East Lancashire Railway

(haven't looked to see what any of them are doing at the moment)

thing with those options is Bury would be a whole day, and Heaton Park not far off.

The old train at HP is a good 25 min walk from the Metrolink, unless you get a bus to drop you Middleton Way side up from Crumpsall.

Someone mentioned on another thread about their disappointment when GM buses went white and orange but it's all I remember them as.

yes, started in the late 60s when the metropolitan county based passenger transport executives were formed, and absorbed all the smaller corporations. SELNEC (SE Lancs + NE Cheshire) chose orange because none of the corporations had used orange in their livery. West Midlands PTE took a different approach and the 'new' livery was based on the old Birmingham City Transport livery, which didn't go down so well in Wolverhampton and so on...

Back
Top Bottom