Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Birmingham and Black Country thread for all things Brummie and Yam-Yam

That bit on new street/high St around odeon/specsavers round to boots has quite a down trodden/univiting/embarrassingly rough feel to it for a 'second city' compared to further up. Maybe a reflection on other city center, but did we really need a primary megastore for the pavilion, etc. Gap near Martineau a poundland megastore and many other examples of similar shite. The centre is really two co existing cities now

It's also full of a multitude of religious head the ball types 'preaching' round there.

It's also full of a multitude of religious head the ball types 'preaching' round there.
True. When you go to Manchester I mainly see people playing music or street dancing rather than shouting angrily through megaphones. Not very inviting or creating a good impression for visitors and families

True. When you go to Manchester I mainly see people playing music or street dancing rather than shouting angrily through megaphones. Not very inviting or creating a good impression for visitors and families

When you go to Manchester you can also visit independent bookshops and soak up a ‘culture’ that is representative of the city. Plus they’ve got trams that actually go somewhere - even our tram extension is designed to fuel consumerism and mass produced leisure consumption. I’d really like Manchester if it wasn’t Manchester

Crane also unable to get out of it's ties with rainbow warehouse situation, cancels all upcoming events. Some have been relocated, including the Sasha/Tale of Us Renaissance night I'm going to, which is now at Boxxed. Which I'm not too happy about. Shit venue. Almost literally as the plumbing always seems to be a problem there and you end up walking in piss/shite by the end of the night.

Some good archive Brummie pics:

market--1200x795.jpg

birmingham-markets-1-1200x821.jpg

market-birmingham-1-1200x821.jpg

17 Colour Snapshots of Birmingham's Bull Ring Market (September 11 1959) - Flashbak

Birmingham-1960s-24-768x532.jpg

Safe place for a zebra crossing ?? Look left, right, behind you and watch that corner over the road too.

Great pictures. You can see from them how much fun us kids of that era had playing around in those old derelict buildings.

According to the Brum Mail a congestion charge is coming in inside the inner ring.

A city centre congestion charge is coming - what we know so far

No doubt there will be loads of compliants about this in the event that it is introduced. People will say its regressive as it will stop poor people but not rich drivers, that the public transport isn't up to scratch, that the cycle lane provision is crap and that it merely pushes the problem elsewhere. All of this is true. But, I still welcome it.

The city centre is literally killing us with fumes. It's unpleasant, congested and clogged.

I'd actually go further - there is no need for any car to be in the inner ring road. Buses, taxis, cycles and walkers only.

Last edited:
Except there are lots of needs. We need much better public transport, park and rides etc for it to work.

As I say, many of the complaints will have merit and the lack of decent and affordable public transport is undeniable.

I've taken to walking or cycling to town from Kings Heath because the roads are so clogged and the public transport so shit. It's dangerous, inconvenient for me at times and always an unpleasant journey given the congestion, bad/aggressive driving and foul air.

But, for me, the congestion charge is a cart and horse issue. Once the cars go the urgent demand for better public transport, cycle lanes, park and rides and safe walking routes becomes overwhelming for the government and council.

Back
Top Bottom